Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 PM

242 posts, read 596,385 times

Advertisements

ARC is IB. That is close enough for me. Many people are trying to bang on the doors of the IB program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Richmond county lost population due to a inept government.. Once Deke became mayor in 2005 the population starting to grow... Did the schools magically change in 2005? The answer is simply no...

No matter how you spin this

Richmond county has double the amount of schools than Columbia county does..

If I had kids, I certainly would NOT put them in Aiken County Public Schools... If I'm not mistaken Richmond county graduation rate is higher than Aiken county's...

I notice you always recommend North Augusta? North Augusta is apart of the Aiken county school system.. But you wouldn't put your kids into Richmond county schools.. This dude is cleary bias against augusta on alot of his post.

Aiken county graduation rate 67%..... Richmond county graduation rate 76%
Norty, quit kidding yourself.

1. RC has a few VERY GOOD (magnet) schools, I would love to attend one of them.
2. The vast majority of RC's plain ole public schools are struggling, I would NOT want to attend one of them.
3. When you look at percentages, not population, not number of schools, just plain ole comparable PERCENTAGES, 93% of CC's schools made AYP this year, only 38% of RC's schools did. Do the math, if you were still in school, which grade would you rather bring home to mom and dad, the 93 or the 38?
4. If it weren't for those few magnet schools bringing up the average, the entire RC school system would be shot, thank God for Davidson, Johnson, and Company.

When I moved here, I went to Aiken County schools, I got an excellent education from AC Public Schools, I live in NA, I love living in NA and (if it meets others criteria) I will recommend NA. I never tell people that Augusta sucks, I simply give them reasons why I don't live there and hope that it helps them make a decision. If you paid any attention, you'd notice that I've recommended West Augusta to people several times, I've also recommended the Hill/Summerville, I've recommended places throughout Aiken County, I've even recommended Downtown Augusta and Evans and Martinez, if you really want to be frank about it, I've probably recommended places OTHER THAN North Augusta more often than I recommend NA. You on the other hand almost exclusively talk about Augusta, everywhere else in the CSRA according to you is just suburbia and you never play that up. In the end, this forum is nothing but OPINION, but it seems that others on the forum are attacked by YOU whenever we criticize Augusta or disagree with YOU. Like right now, I gave my opinion that I'd rather send my kids to Aiken Schools rather than Augusta Schools, and all of a sudden I'm biased against Augusta, whatever.

Put on your boots children, it's gettin' deep in here.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 07-19-2010 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: removed nastiness :)

Old 07-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Richmond county lost population due to a inept government.. Once Deke became mayor in 2005 the population starting to grow... Did the schools magically change in 2005? The answer is simply no...

No matter how you try to spin this..... Richmond county has double the amount of schools than Columbia county does..

If I had kids, I certainly would NOT put them in Aiken County Public Schools... If I'm not mistaken Richmond county graduation rate is higher than Aiken county's...

I notice you always recommend North Augusta? North Augusta is apart of the Aiken county school system.. But you wouldn't put your kids into Richmond county schools.. This is clear bias against Richmond County like a number of your post...

Hmm?????????
Aiken county graduation rate 67%

Richmond county graduation rate 76%
I think I'd place the blame on the graduation rate for Aiken County on Jackson, SC. Jackson is one of the worst towns I've ever seen on the highways in SC. And if it weren't for the magnet and IB schools in Richmond, the whole county would have gotten its accreditation stripped a long time ago.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Dude please... Check the restaurant/retail, area development & construction, Aug on a roll with sporting events, new hotels, etc threads... I've posted on the surrounding areas plenty of times...

Yea, Yea, whatever... Everybody can clearly see the bias you display against Richmond county sometimes... The other day you told somebody Summerville and The Hill are near some less than desirable areas... To try it make it seem like they're not safe or something.. When Summerville and The Hill don't have any bad areas in the neighborhoods themselves. And North Augusta has bad areas inside the city like Bradleyville road...

You wouldn't put your kids into Richmond county public schools.. But you're quick to recommend Aiken county to people moving here who have kids any chance you get.....

Hmm?????????

Columbia county graduation rate 83%

Last edited by nortonguy; 07-19-2010 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM

Yes, ARC does have a IB program.. That's alot diffrent from being a ''magnet'' school.... Anybody zoned for ARC can attend the school..

Westside and Cross Creek high schools don't have IB progarms and aren't magnet schools ...

Last edited by nortonguy; 07-19-2010 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Yea, Yea, whatever... Everybody can cleary see the bias you have against Richmond county sometimes...

You wouldn't put your kids into Richmond county public schools.. But you're quick to recommend Aiken county to people moving here any chance you get.....

Hmm?????????

Columbia county graduation rate 83%
I also wouldn't go to Richmond County if I could. Yogizilla doesn't like the County School System either. I'd place the blame on the bad small towns in Aiken County that the grad. rate is lower. The only reason why my parents ever chose here was for my mom's work, and they almost looked at leaving after she became disabled, staying in the CSRA, but in the northern part.
ARC's scores are higher because of IB students unless their scores are seperated from everyone else there. I still stay put on the school system would've been pretty screwed without IB and magnet.
Westside is on the other side of town and is the best non magnet school. I can admit that. Cross Creek, I don't know, my friend thinks its probably the best high school in the southside. (I would need to look again to see on the AYP thing because I just breezed thru and nearly double taked when I saw my high school once again on that list) If my parents were looking at moving, they would stay far away from the west Richmond though. They can live in the country with no problems so if they moved, I'd be somewhere in southern Lincoln County.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM

I attended high school in Columbia county.. Greenbrier and Lakeside score higher than Grovetown and Harlem because of demographics... The same in Richmond county with Westside and Cross Creek scoring higher than Laney and Josey...

I notice you keep trying so hard to defend Aiken County???

I can place the blame on the inner city schools(Josey and Laney) for hurting Richmond county graduation scores...

Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,996 times
Nort, Westside, Hephzibah, and Cross Creek aren't 'inner city' and they didn't make AYP...you can't blame JUST Jose and Laney for Richmond County's low performance, it's a collective effort. Just be glad that there's schools like Davidson and Johnson to bring up the average, otherwise Heaven only knows what the numbers would look like.

Also, better watch out GeorgiaGirl, you might get labeled 'biased against Augusta' like I did LOL

Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM

I'm not. In fact I know squat about it (I just know Jackson, SC is the worst town I've seen try to advertise itself as a place to go to, as it says Please Come Again at the end of the town on a sign on the route that comes out of SRS). I'd go to Greenbrier before Hephzibah or Cross Creek.
It would not help to take out the inner city schools as along with it you'd also have to take out Butler, Glenn Hills, and possibly Hephzibah to boost the AYP thing.
I'm done. May come back with an update on what we do if this happened, but I'm still not 100% familiar on it so I'm not sure if it'd happen or not.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Georgiagirl said Jackson, SC was bringing down the Aiken county graduation rate not the AYP scores.... Two entirely diffrent subjects...

Westside is a 2010 GA AP Honor School... The graduation rate at Cross Creek was 75% in 2009... http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-bl...ams-and-scores

North Augusta, Aiken, and Midland Valley aren't ''inner city'' schools in Aiken County and they didn't make AYP... So she can't blame Jackson for Aiken county's low graduation rate..

Grovetown and Harlem in Columbia county aren't ''inner city'' schools and didn't make AYP either...

I done for tonight you guys can have this thread lol...

Last edited by nortonguy; 07-19-2010 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area