Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The Village at Riverwatch will provide over 100 acres of amenities near I-20.
If it ever get's started, that Costco is supposed to open this fall right? Only thing I've seen happening on the property is the weeds growing taller.

Quote:
It makes more sense to have the baseball stadium mix-use venue in the central business district...
Definitely agree...however, do you think there could ever come a time where the 'downtown' (in terms of shops, restaurants, etc) extends all the way to Lake Olmstead Stadium?

Quote:
Why can't MCG their campus near I-20? Better yet build it off I-520 somewhere in South Augusta....
Don't take this the wrong way, but that's the worst idea ever. Lets keep those masses of students, doctors, and workers downtown to support the local restaurants and businesses as opposed to the chains and strip malls out by the interstates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:39 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times
Nort...

This is the realization of your "connecting the medical district to downtown" right here... There is still property on the river, that I think are even better locations for a future stadium. The other two possible spots are even closer to downtown and should easily be big enough for this development.

The new bio-sector would bring people downtown to live and play in the NEAR future. And with it being MCG/State government... it will get built. I would imagine that these new residents of downtown would need things to do, there's your baseball stadium right there... And Augusta will finally have something to hang their hat on in what will lead to a nationally, possibly internationally known medical district. AND this will be year round in downtown Augusta, not just during the regular season and sometimes the playoffs.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 PM

I'm a huge supporter of the downtown baseball stadium don't get me wrong...

But, i'm really more than anything else, happy that there are "options" now for this piece of property... there's more than one vision in play here all of a sudden. It's a win for Augusta in that we either get a bio-sector OR the new option forces Jacoby and Ripken to put their money where their mouth is if they want a new stadium... Guess we'll see.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 PM

Hi! Me again... I really wish I had thought of all this in one post, sorry.

Another thing... what would a bio-sector mean for the Hyatt Place hotel? That is definitely a plus for those trying to get the funding to see it built, I would think even more so than a baseball stadium and condo tower.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 AM

543 posts, read 1,316,335 times
I would put Deke's Taxpayer Stadium off I-20 or off I-520 on the the other side for visibility purposes. I believe new businesses will setup shop arould Deke's Taxpayer Stadium in new under developed areas. Ball parks make good anchors but lousy center pieces, especially in Augusta. Less face Augusta GA is pro goverment professional military state-college community pride kind of town, but our leaders seem to miss that for some reason. We have to be comfortable with our niche in Georgia. Augusta is not sime entrepenuer-driven tourist star-studed recreational paradise like Atlanta or even Savannah for that matter. But we are growing into a major player in the state by playing to our strenght medical, military, goverment jobs, colleges(ASU,Paine,MCG) and festivals. There is plenty of riverfront land for everyone but if the city has to give you all these perks for you to build on the 'prime real estate' then *********! It will cost the city nothing if MCG moves forward and plus it will add to the professional population downtown. Who in their right mind will move downtown because the Greenjacket got a new stadium beside Nort?

The best thing the Augusta Greenjackets could do is move towards visiblity(I-20 or I-520) for Columbia, Aiken. Edgefield Co. baseball fans, dont bury your self into downtown Augusta. Not smart business in my honest opinion.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Wow, they really just censor my comments lol

Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Well first of all, Augusta has to get the land out of the state's hands....

Hotmike, Nobody is going to downtown because of a stadium.. The development is much more than a stadium... Jim Jacoby(developer of Atlantic Station) doesn't build baseball stadiums... There will be restaurants, retail, greenspace, residential, etc attached to the stadium...

Who is going to automatically move downtown just because a research park is built??

There is no proof MCG or the state has any money at the moment... Why do you think GHSU wants to acquire the land for free? MCG recently spend millions changing their name to GHSU... Then they're spending millions on closing down the portion of Laney Walker... Transfering the land to MCG won't put the property immediately back on the city's tax rolls.. MCG is owned by the state of GA, and the only tax revenue Augusta would receive is the spin off...

While a baseball stadium mix-use property would automatically increase the tax revenue from the start.. Even without adding the people shopping in the restaurants, stores, etc...

The Greenjacket definitely don't near to move closer to Columbia, Edgefield, or Aiken counties...

GreenJackets Approach New Attendance Record - OurSports Central - Independent and Minor League Sports News

For the third time in the last five years, the Augusta GreenJackets are set to surpass a franchise record for fan attendance. With sellout crowds expected on both nights of the upcoming Fan Appreciation Weekend, the team should surpass their previous record attendance of 200,222 by Saturday night's home finale. The new record means many things, but perhaps most importantly it means more people are coming out to the ballpark than ever before in Augusta.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-08-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 AM

GHSU should continue building up the surrounding inner city. There's alot more private investors(Sutherland Mill, Emporium, Green Building, etc) in the Central Business District compared to our inner city area.... Rural Sourcing Inc relocated to downtown last year and has 25 to 30 employees at the moment. The company is bringing 100 high paying IT jobs(35k to 85k) to the Enterprise Mill downtown... The inner city needs alot more professionals working in the area compared to the CBD...

I think it's a better idea to give away the housing project/shotgun home land to MCG for free. Rather than giving the school a peice of prime real estate property for free. The property should go to auction and be sold to a private developer....

It would make much more sense for GHSU, to knock down Sunset and the other shotgun homes around the Medical District...

A baseball stadium near I-20 isn't going to entice the developers to build VAR... The Costco opens in the fall of Novemeber 2011.. When Costco was announced at the end of October 2010, the I-20 traffic was more than enough to draw the $100 million development..

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-08-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
GHSU should continue building up the surrounding inner city. There's alot more private investors(Sutherland Mill, Emporium, Green Building, etc) in the Central Business District compared to our inner city area.... Rural Sourcing Inc relocated to downtown last year and has 25 to 30 employees at the moment. The company is bringing 100 high paying IT jobs(35k to 85k) to the Enterprise Mill downtown... The inner city needs alot more professionals working in the area compared to the CBD...
Im talkng about professionals who will live,work and eat all downtown. Medical student are more likely to stay around the core of downtown then some guy making 35k.

Quote:
I think it's a better idea to give away the housing project/shotgun home land to MCG for free. Rather than giving the school a peice of prime real estate property for free. The property should go to auction and be sold to a private developer......
But the housing projecta are not vacant & cleared nor are the shotgun homes. But the riverfront property is and its own by the state of GA not the city of Augusta. Why give away land that the city actually owns for free? Thats land is also valuable.

Quote:
It would make much more sense for GHSU, to knock down Sunset and the other shotgun homes around the Medical District.....
That land will be cleared and sold eventually down the road. Most likely to MCG which will make good uses of it. I really hope ASU look into buying the Sunset properties for their nursing school expansion. MCG, Paine and ASU all in walking distance from each other. Making Augusta the to go to become a doctor. But I doubt ASU would change its plans with the patch, which still a good move on their part.

Once again the GGHOF belong to the state, there is a shortage in the of GA for doctors. You think the state is going to look at the pros and cons and auction it off to the Green Jackets?

Quote:
A baseball stadium near I-20 isn't going to entice the developers to build VAR... The Costco opens in the fall of Novemeber 2011.. When Costco was announced at the end of October 2010, the I-20 traffic was more than enough to draw the $100 million development..
The more traffic the better for the Green Jackets. The point is to make the bottom line right? Where can they have a better chance of making revenue? Where can that go to grow the brand and visibility? If they are planning to have hotels, restaruants, condo, office etc with the stadium, wouldnt it be smart to put it near I-20 where traffic is more than enough to draw $100 million in development?

Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM

The $35k to $45k salary at Rural Sourcing is for the new graduates fresh out of college.. They're just as much likely to live downtown compared to students... Medical students can still live downtown if the bio-tech park is located in the inner city.... They also will help bring needed gentrification to the inner city area.

Most housing projects before they're demolish aren't vacant... The residents have to be giving time to relocate first. The value of the Sunset property/surrounding area can't be compared to the riverfront property.

The city isn't going to make MCG pay for the surrounding land.. Did MCG pay for Gilbert Manor? The answer is no they didn't.. ASU is definitley not moving downtown... They're clearing dedicated to building up their West Campus.. They're building a $30 million college of education building on a 9 acre lot off Wrightsboro/Damascus.. They're also building new dorms and a workout facility. The patch is still a golf course and could go either way...

The state wants to make money of the property. There's no guarantee they're willing to transfer the land to GHSU for free...

Actually it would make more sense for the Green Jackets to move downtown. To go along with the numerous other projects happening/planned..

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-08-2011 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area