Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandevelopment View Post
I doubt the Westobou Festival attracts over 100K people....that would be more than The Masters.
Westobou is a great event for Augusta and its getting better, but its not even in the same league as Spoleto Festival in Charleston(which Westobou is patterned after)
The AJC covered the Westobou festival back in the year 2009. The festival drew more than 100k people in 2008 the first year it was created...

Experience Augusta's arts scene at Westobou *| ajc.com
This year's second annual event will be Sept. 17-26. Last year, the citywide cultural event drew more than 100,000 visitors to enjoy some of the 200 performances and 26 exhibits. Visitors will get a true feel of Augusta's art scene with dance to theatre and music to visual arts during the 10-day celebration.

I've worked at the Masters a few times and it's probably between 250k-300k visitors for the entire week.. I'm positive the Masters generates over $100 million in one week..

Last edited by nortonguy; 10-02-2011 at 10:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,101 times
I am actually not looking forward to Masters considering Ive been warned by my neighbor's getting out of my neighborhood will be a huge hassle.....lol Well, I will see come April =)

Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Really? Outside of West Augusta, I-20, I-520, and downtown(Mayors Masters Reception, Par 3 Party) the masters traffic doesn't affect the area too much..

Maybe you live in a neighborhood were alot of people rent out their houses..

Old 10-03-2011, 03:21 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
Masters traffic is MUCH better than it used to be... I can say that. Berckmans Road is supposed to be re-routed or expanded and that will only help things, along with Alexander Drive being re-done.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
I have been gone for a while but I have designed a way to add a median, kinda like the ones in northern Atlanta to Washington Rd. I also think the road should be widen to 3 lanes on both sides.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Isn't there enough traffic on Washington Road already? We don't need to add more traffic to Washington Road, we need to find a way to get less traffic. If they ever extend Riverwatch Pkwy into Evans... that would help.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Isn't there enough traffic on Washington Road already? We don't need to add more traffic to Washington Road, we need to find a way to get less traffic. If they ever extend Riverwatch Pkwy into Evans... that would help.
I deeply understand this however everyone needs to understand Augusta is going to continue to grow and it is time for us to widen our roads to at least 6 lanes to handle the added traffic.... Extending Riverwatch is a start however it will never be full until they turn Riverwatch into a controlled access freeway with a center concrete median.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 PM

This is my opinion Atlanta has freedom parkway, and Charlotte has Independence, Augusta has Riverwatch...

Old 10-03-2011, 08:08 PM

Yea, but I don't know if that's possible for Washington Road to become a 6 lane... it's too congested around there. Think about all the businesses along that road that can't afford to lose parking, gas stations that might have to move their underground tanks, car dealerships that are already buying other parcels to store their unsold units, etc.

Ideally having a loop around the city like Athens would be great. I just think the areas in and around Washington Road/Riverwatch are too grown-up and congested to build these big highways, there is no room for any kind've exit/entrance ramps.

Make Evans to Locks, Stevens Creek, N. Belair (towards Furry's Ferry) and Fury's Ferry to the state line... all four lane highways. That would help with the traffic, no? Maybe even Hereford Farm and Hardy McManus roads as well...

Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Yea, but I don't know if that's possible for Washington Road to become a 6 lane... it's too congested around there. Think about all the businesses along that road that can't afford to lose parking, gas stations that might have to move their underground tanks, car dealerships that are already buying other parcels to store their unsold units, etc.

Ideally having a loop around the city like Athens would be great. I just think the areas in and around Washington Road/Riverwatch are too grown-up and congested to build these big highways, there is no room for any kind've exit/entrance ramps.

Make Evans to Locks, Stevens Creek, N. Belair (towards Furry's Ferry) and Fury's Ferry to the state line... all four lane highways. That would help with the traffic, no? Maybe even Hereford Farm and Hardy McManus roads as well...
If you notice.... there is a clear line of land on both sides of Riverwatch.... its like the highway was meant to be an expressway
Attached Thumbnails
Augusta becomes major tourist destination during September-expressway.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: