Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 24,793 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Augusta where his company is designing the power plant being built in Waynesboro. We are thinking about getting a house in Evans and we are very excited with how nice the homes are compared with the prices of homes in Pittsburgh. We haven't checked out the area yet and have just been doing Internet research, but my first question is Evans a safe place to live? I love to run and am hoping the neighborhoods are as secure as they seem. Are there lots of places to eat and is there a nice mall around? I am am a teacher and I have heard the job market is bad right now, but it is awful in Pittsburgh,too. We are thrilled to be living in a warmer climate, it gets really old shoveling snow every morning in the winter. Anything else we should know about the area would be much appreciated. We are 24 and 25 with no children and will be here for 3-5 years, but can stay longer if we love GA. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,015,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh26.2 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Augusta where his company is designing the power plant being built in Waynesboro. We are thinking about getting a house in Evans and we are very excited with how nice the homes are compared with the prices of homes in Pittsburgh. We haven't checked out the area yet and have just been doing Internet research, but my first question is Evans a safe place to live? I love to run and am hoping the neighborhoods are as secure as they seem. Are there lots of places to eat and is there a nice mall around? I am am a teacher and I have heard the job market is bad right now, but it is awful in Pittsburgh,too. We are thrilled to be living in a warmer climate, it gets really old shoveling snow every morning in the winter. Anything else we should know about the area would be much appreciated. We are 24 and 25 with no children and will be here for 3-5 years, but can stay longer if we love GA. Thanks!
The job market in Augusta is always stable(Fort Gordon, SRS, Plant Vogtle, Medical District, Plant Vogtle) compared to the rest of the country even during the recession..

The majority of Evans is safe overall, but not mall anywhere in the area.. The Mullings Crossing(Target, Kohls, Marshalls) shopping center is a pretty decent size, and the Augusta mall or shopping centers in West Augusta aren't far away..

Old 01-18-2012, 10:42 PM

2,214 posts, read 3,364,225 times
Evans is very nice and safe area you should not have a problem at all. Red Robins, Fatz, Applebee Chills Mushrooms mellow pizza joints and etc. If you not happy with that there more restaurants in augusta. If I you I will do a map quest how far apart where you going to stay and where going to be working. Because from evans to PV in Waynesboro is a long drive everyday then you going to have to fight traffic you look at about hour to hour 15th minute with traffic. PV is along ways in the country part of burke county/ Waynesboro. From Waynesboro to PV it take about 30min so look into all of that before you buy a house. Since it just all two I looking to Haven apartment in Evans to get the feel of the city and how far you want to drive to different location. O yea the way he will have to travel the traffic is bad mostly on two or three Washington rd depends on were you stay, bobby jones, and Mike Padgett. Mike Padgett is the most dangerous rd in augusta because most all the jobs are located off that rd and the airport run into mike Padgett.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:51 PM

20 posts, read 38,821 times
You will like Augusta for the slow quality of life but you will have to drive to Atlanta for real entertainment.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 AM

337 posts, read 791,017 times
As a former Pittsburgher working at Vogtle, I can fill you in...

Less to do in the general area of Augusta/Evans than in Pittsburgh...But you are 2.5-4 hours from Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Savanah. You are about 3.5 hours from Asheville, NC for the mountains, less than that to the North Ga mountains. 2.5-3.5 hours to major league sports (and shopping) in Atlanta or Charlotte. You have UGa and USC main campuses less than 1.5 hours away.

Summers are hot and humid and hot and humid...Winters are extremely mild. Did I mention anything aobut the summers???

Evans - There are several planned communities with walking/jogging/biking trails.

Housing prices - can be deceiving. Usually no basements down here (but ahve attic storage). Lot sizes can be smaller (especially in newer areas in Evans). There have been seom huge (compared to Pittsburgh) housing plns that have goen up in the last 10 years.

DM me if you want more info...

Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 AM

We are looking forward to playing more golf and spending our time outdoors so we won't mind if there is not much nightlife in Augusta. I am really looking forward to running around the Augusta Canal trail and hopefully kayaking there as well. I can't believe the weather there right now!
We are currently searching for a rental home since we already have enough furniture to fill a house and we want space for our two dogs. Is Grovetown not as nice of a place to live as Evans or Martinez? They have some really nice rentals in a subdivision that are much cheaper.
Please let me know if there is anything else I should know about Augusta or living in the south in general!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,015,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh26.2 View Post
We are looking forward to playing more golf and spending our time outdoors so we won't mind if there is not much nightlife in Augusta. I am really looking forward to running around the Augusta Canal trail and hopefully kayaking there as well. I can't believe the weather there right now!
We are currently searching for a rental home since we already have enough furniture to fill a house and we want space for our two dogs. Is Grovetown not as nice of a place to live as Evans or Martinez? They have some really nice rentals in a subdivision that are much cheaper.
Please let me know if there is anything else I should know about Augusta or living in the south in general!
Evans and Martinez tend to be more desirable compared to Grovetown, but the new housing outside of the city limits of Grovetown(Grovetown address) is nice..

Any reason you're limiting yourself to these areas? There's plenty of nice housing closer to the Augusta Canal for instance..

Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 AM

250 posts, read 578,059 times
Yhe "Grovetown" north of Interstate 20 sits right next to Evans so a lot of people dont even know the difference. Good luck on your move

Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 AM

2,214 posts, read 3,364,225 times
Things about the south we superstitious, we have good BBQ and soul food, we love dogs because we are the Ga bulldogs, the weather is great and we don't have alot crazy storms. Springtime and fall season are the best season to me because love the why it look it look so green in the spring and the fall orange brown etc. We not rule peoples we speak alot in the south. We have a good public and private school system throughout the metro.
If you looking to go school we also have a virility of colleges to choose from and we have some of best hospitals in the state of GA. Downtown have some historic land marks.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:11 PM

I think we will fit in just fine in the south, although it will take some getting used to the humid and hot summertime! I was thinking a lot about Georgia today while we were shoveling 7 inches of snow...
I am open to living in any area surrounding Augusta, as long as it does not get much further then an hour away from Waynesboro. What is the community/area called that is close to the Augusta Canal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area