Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:37 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times

Advertisements

-- If you wanted to be a part of choosing the name for GHSU-ASU, now's your chance!

Your ideas for the name of recently-consolidated Georgia Health Sciences University and Augusta State University can be submittedhere. Names will need to be submitted by the end of the month.

"I have said publicly that the name would include the word 'university' and would not include the words 'health' or 'medicine' in light of the fact that we will be a comprehensive research university when the consolidation is complete," said GHSU President Ricardo Azziz in a news release.

Dr. Azziz said he wants the name to be concise, with three words or fewer.

While he's open to help with choosing the new name, he's clear on some names he doesn't want: "I can assure you, however, that we will not be known as Froghollah University, The Cool School or the James Brown Downtown College of Good Knowledge -- some of the tongue-in-cheek suggestions offered by readers of the Augusta Chronicle."

Azziz said that while the team tasked with choosing the name has come up with a few ideas, they would like more input.

The possible names will be submitted to the Georgia Board of Regents by July 1.

If you have a suggestion for naming the new university, submit it at asughsu.org/name before the close of April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
University of Augusta maybe? I know that designation is usually reserved for universities in larger cities, but I think it could work.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
University of Augusta maybe? I know that designation is usually reserved for universities in larger cities, but I think it could work.

This seems to be one of the most popular choices...

Old 04-15-2012, 05:54 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
This seems to be one of the most popular choices...
I agree with you 100%, if the school is named anything with Georgia in the name, it will bring more attention to the state rather the city. I say we keep it local for now, last thing we need is the University of East Georgia Augusta, University of East Georgia Athens and so on and so on.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM

937 posts, read 1,801,133 times
knowing them they will name it the "university of Central Eastern Georgia State Agricultural University of Augusta, Georgia" lol

Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Dr. Azziz said three words or less... I think Georgia A&M might be another possibility for the name of the university.....

Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
I was trying to think of something/someone historically significant to the area... naturally thought of James Oglethorpe, who founded the city of course, but there is an Oglethorpe University in Atlanta apparently.

Seriously, I think it'll be Augusta University and it should be, unless it's something else historically specific to the area like Oglethorpe...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Dr. Azziz said three words or less... I think Georgia A&M might be another possibility for the name of the university.....
Georgia Arts and Medicine University was my first idea, it appears the two finals are Georgia A&M which makes sense and the University of Augusta. Also I can see Paine College expanding as well, maybe to a level such as Morehouse or Spellman.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Richmond University jags
Old Ville university =old towne and summerville
Walton university
Garden city university

Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Obviously,

The University of Augusta

Simple, clear, and sounds classy. Universities are made up of colleges so call the med school, Medical College of Georgia to retain its historic roots.

A lot of other schools in the state are trying to put in "State" and "Georgia" in some form and end up sounding messy. North Georgia College and State University? Georgia College and State University? Those names are bad. But "The University of Augusta" will stand out and is a great name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area