Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:36 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,385,899 times

Advertisements

Don't put all your eggs in one basket wither it government fund business or private investment business we need a balance so if one fall the city can keep moving forward until it pick backup
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:39 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,092,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I forgot Bennett International did have two expansions take place in Augusta.. The first was announced in Nov of 2010, and the second happen in June of 2011.. Still neither Rural Sourcing or Bennett International have been here for years, and both didn't open until 2011 anyway...

Please explain??? If you're going to make sarcastic remarks atleast know your facts beforehand...

1. Electrolux: Feb 2011
Electrolux will add 225 jobs | The Augusta Chronicle

2. PCS Nitrogen/Potash: March-Dec 2011
Planning & Zoning - Project Search Details

3. Augusta Newsprint/Bennett International: June 2011
Development Authority OKs money for projects | The Augusta Chronicle

4. Algae facility: June 2011
Project will use algae in biodiesel | The Augusta Chronicle

5. DSM: July 2011
DSM Chemicals to move Augusta labs to former Pfizer site | The Augusta Chronicle

6. FPL Foods: August 2011
Georgia Governor Nathan Deal - Deal: Augusta company creates 100 jobs

7. Rockwood: Dec 2011
New manufacturing facility to be built in Augusta

8. Starbucks: March 2012
Starbucks plans $172 million Augusta plant | The Augusta Chronicle

9. US Fibers: May 2012
US Fibers expands in Edgefield County | The Augusta Chronicle

I'll even add the 42k sq. ft US Battery expansion to the list... Nov 2011
Bridgestone: Sept 2011
Bridgestone impact a big splash | The Augusta Chronicle

I'll continue to say the first two nuclear reactors in Georgia is MUCH more important than any auto plant... All you have to do is look at which one made 'national headlines' compared to the other..

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-26-2012 at 12:33 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 12:03 AM

998 posts, read 1,548,968 times
Come on man... you're the most disagreed with person on this site as well as the Augusta Chronicle, it's because you can't be honest and in both cases you're "that guy" for Augusta.

My timeline was from my head, if you want to get literal with it, go ahead. I honestly don't have the time you do apparently to go back and pull each one up... you consider stuff from early-mid 2011 as still newsworthy and worth repeating over and over again in various posts/threads on both sites, that's fine... I don't.

You want to post an article from 2009 about Augusta Corporate Park being a top ten mega site or whatever as it sits EMPTY until 2012, that's fine too... Just don't be surprised when you get some odd looks in your direction! Your little lol about the Hyatt is exactly my point, how long has the Hyatt been mentioned as "funding efforts ongoing, etc" and how many times have you posted the myaugustadowntown link? What good is an architect if you don't have the money? I'll believe it when/if I see the darn thing built at this point! No, this is nothing new and the local media would be all over it if something worthwhile has in fact changed, unfortunately, nothing has. The only thing that's been a bigger cluster than the TEE and it's parking deck, is the Hyatt.

I'm not being childish in the least bit, you're in denial about your constant homerism with anything Augusta. It turns off a lot of people towards you and gets old... I'm not the first person on this site to say you're impossible to talk to because of this, I've seen other people say it to you on here... Tough love and nothing personal, but you need it bro.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:17 AM

I'm looking at jobs and not national headlines... give me 5,000 jobs and an entirely new industry in the Augusta area over 1600 and an existing industry. Grow the tax base and diversify the Augusta economy seems like a good idea to me.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:28 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,385,899 times
I always wonder did nortonguy have three to four people working for him in order for to list all the things he list with the correct date and time lol. I be like d--- I can't remember 2-3 months he can remember things happening in augusta or CSRA 2-4 year ago. Nortonguy tell everybody your secret you have some employee working for you lol.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:31 AM

How can facts be considered boosterism?? The only people who disagree with me on here is mainly you and used to be Eastsidedave... The Chronicle has the same few negative nancies who love to be negative daily no matter the subject... Some people get mad or tend to disagree because I know more about the upcoming projects compared to them..... I remember when I kept saying Costco had already started construction last year... You and a few other people continued to say nothing is happening at the site, and it might not even start construction at all in 2011... Remember this is even after I clearly said electrical workers had starting on the development..

Quote:
According to Walter Sprouse(executive director of the Development Authority of Richmond County) electrical workers are now at the Village at Riverwatch site...:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
I think you guys are anticipating this Costco so much that you're starting to hallucinate lol...I got a good view of the site last week when driving along I20, saw a whole lot of nothing... All I have to say is that if they want to open by this fall, they better get a move on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
This time around is a little different... the city has pretty much stepped up and provided large incentives for Costco and the development itself to come to fruition. It'll happen eventually and no reason to be anything but optimistic to date. With the weather warming up and the world's attention coming to Augusta shortly, we should see something sooner rather than later. Just don't hold your breath between now and then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukInAugusta View Post
On a whim, I drove into the Comcast parking lot to check the site out. There is NO activity going on at all. Nada. Makes me wonder if this is going to go the same way that Bass Shops Pro did; nowhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Not yet. I think there's a consensus here that Costco won't be open or built this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if REAL construction was seen this year... and i wouldn't be surprised if we're stuck with another year of an empty field either. Hopefully they're waiting on the warm weather just around the corner to really get started. I live around the corner from VAR, drove by after work tonight and it's the same picture it's been for the last few weeks/months... nothing new.
As you can see I already knew 'construction' had started, and other people had to wait for the heavy equipment, and news articles to come out first... I was accused of boosterism and being a homer back then too...

I can't bring up the top ten megasite ranking because it sat empty until the year 2012, or consider things from early-mid 2011 newsworthy... Then you continue to bring up the BMW plant which opened in the year 1994... I know the plant has expanded, but the majority of those expansions were before early-mid 2011/2012...

The average pay at BMW is probably between $40k-$50k... The wages at Plant Vogtle are somewhere between $70k-$80k, and much higher than BMW.... 5,000 construction workers will have jobs until around the year 2020, and plant Vogtle is expected to create 35,000 jobs for suppliers and manufactures...

You can't mention Plant Vogtle without the bringing up the 4k jobs at the NSA, 1K at Bridgestone, 1k MOX, etc.... It can't get more diverse than the NSA, Plant Vogtle, MOX, Bridgestone, Rockwood, Starbucks, Algae facility, Rural Sourcing, etc... Tires, algae, iron oxide pigments, IT, coffee, spying, mixed oxide fuel, nuclear, etc...

Which metro's median income do you think will increase the fastest over the next few years?? The entry level jobs at the NSA seem to pay very good salaries..

Below are entry-level salaries (including locality pay) for several different skill fields. (Entry-level is defined as having a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.)

Language Analysis & Intelligence Analysis $42,209
Computer Science $55,293 *
Mathematics $51,894 *
Computer/Electrical Engineering $56,375*
Frequently Asked Questions about the National Security Agency (NSA)

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-26-2012 at 01:53 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Your sources are public knowledge and often from the Chronicle... Wow. Quit acting like you know things that others don't, all I have to do is open the paper or put on the local news.

Some of the public information you post about... the developments pan out and others don't, are delayed or axed all together like Bass Pro, Marbury (really anything downtown)... you want credit for those too? Or just the select few that actually follow through after it's printed?

There are more than just a select few that disagree with you on the Chronicle, it's practically everyone... and the reason is because you re-post everything over and over and over, you over-embellish everything, you act like you know things others can't possibly know and you can't be honest.

I can trust you, you didn't know anymore than I did about Costco... I used to live over there and would often drive by to see the "massive" light poles you touted, I even took pictures, put them on flickr and linked them in a thread on this site. I also saw the site surveyors, services and each piece of equipment show up one by one... anything else you knew about that I or anyone else that rode by couldn't deduce??? At that site (VAR), with all the delays, you couldn't believe anything was going to happen, until you saw it happening.

The whole point of this thread that you turned into an argument about positive things happening for Augusta... is that Augusta is notorious for delays, down sizing, ongoing funds efforts and cancellations altogether. I've lived here all my life (30years) and you can't honestly disagree here... all these plants will be built and Augusta will still have trouble changing its reputation and getting general investment downtown. The delays, downsizing, etc., will continue. None of these are a "game changer" for the CITY. They're incremental steps in getting the city to that point, which is exactly what I said in my first or second post on the subject.

Example, I've told you now a few times that I'm in school for Vogtle 3/4 and alluded that I'll be working there and you keep spitting out facts to me about the project... 1) they're wrong. 2) 4k-5k workers during peak construction (that ends in 2017 when 4 is completed, not 2020). 3) it's more than 14 billion now, a lot more. 4) It's 25,000 and not 35,000. Soooo... in fact, either you don't know what you're talking about or again you can't be honest and over state things to do with Augusta.

You're annoying, don't be, on either site. Just present things as they are!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:25 AM

Please name one thing I over embellished? Remember you just said the Hyatt was 2 years plus behind, and Rockwood/Algae facility/Bridgestone, etc had been for years... There's the same group of negative nancies on the chronicle, and nobody but mainly you on city data... Please get for real because the Chronicle doesn't cover the majority of developments in Augusta.... They print articles on the major things like Starbucks, Rockwood, and that's it... I do have access to information on PLENTY of developments that other's don't.....

When has the Chronicle, you, or anybody on this site ever mentioned the new apartments going in Wheeler Town Park, 25 acre shopping center on Jimmie Dyess, 10k sq. ft. Shoppes at Dyess Park, 7k sq. ft. commercial center on Wheeler rd with Dunkin Donuts, 11 & 13 acre commercial centers on Gordon Hwy near Robinson Avenue, 200 acre Haynes Station neighborhood, Residence Inn by Marriott, Marks Church rd apartments, The two 4k sq. ft. retail buildings going infront of Kroger on Washington rd, etc....

I did know construction had started on the Village at Riverwatch... All you have to is read my comments versus everybody else... I clearly heard Walter Sprouse say electrical workers had begun at the site... I clearly know about the majority of things before the Chronicle decides to print the article...

My comment on Home2Suites is from October 2011, and the Chronicle's article is from May 2012...
Quote:
Another hotel is looking to open in the Augusta Exchange area of West Augusta. The hotel is under the Hilton brand and the 2.5 acre site would be located at 3634 Walton Way Extension. The hotel must be approved by planning and zoning first.. The hotel is maybe five minutes away from the Residence Inn by Marriott coming to 1110 Marks Church rd.. Basically the ongoing and planned commercial growth in West Augusta is ridiculous..
Hilton to build extended-stay hotel in Augusta | The Augusta Chronicle

In terms of reporting Buffalo Wild Wings to the public... Nortonguy 2/2011 vs Chronicle 5/2011
Quote:
A 6,000 sq. ft. 250 seat Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant will occupy 1.5 acres at the Augusta Exchange... The strip of land seems to be located behind the old BP gas station between Robert C Daniel Jr Pkwy and Skinner Mill road..
Wild wings on the way to Augusta | The Augusta Chronicle

They said the vast majority of the work would be done in the U.S., supporting 35,000 workers at the company and its suppliers. The new reactors would mainly be located in the South.
First new U.S. nuclear reactors in decades approved - Los Angeles Times

The project also will create approximately 35,000 jobs for suppliers and manufacturers, which is why groups like the National Association of Manufacturers wholeheartedly support the project:
NEI Nuclear Notes: Resurgence in American Nuclear Industry To Start in Ga., Says Energy Chief

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-26-2012 at 12:02 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 11:58 AM

I can't believe somebody can sit their with a straight face, and say I don't have access to information other's don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmans77 View Post
Hey Nort, any ideas who is purchasing the land down from Carmax? I drove past today and saw that it is under contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aug30815 View Post
Anyone heard of any new developments along Peach Orchard? Tons of trees cleared just south of Pepperidge, enough for a subdivision if that is what it is...

I guess it's a coincidence I knew the answer to both of these questions... I'm sure everybody knew the answer to both of them too lol....

Old 05-26-2012, 12:00 PM

Whatever man... believe whatever you want to from your articles, I'm in the room with Southern Company every day and hearing the day to day updates. Your figures are off but you're so far up your own rear end it's impossible to pluck you back out of the clouds. You're kinda making my point for me as to why you annoy people, a lot of people whether or not you'll admit to that.

How do you know what or when I knew anything about Costco? Little things had been going on for a while, and I or anyone driving by was aware of it! I was referring to REAL construction, steel meeting the ground, understand this! Did you not talk about two utility poles for the intersection lighting as if it was the obelisk at luxor...? They were poles, so what? Yea, you don't embellish things at all, do you? You're flat out in denial.

You're going to sit here and act like you don't post things about developments from the chronicle and local media... amazing.

I think I'm done here. Carry on 007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area