Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,087,828 times

Advertisements

Or...like that story says...they could ignore that list and come up with a new name.

Considering the other Research Universities are

University of Georgia
Georgia Institute of Technology
Georgia State University

They might want "Georgia" in the name. I just hate the sound of "Georgia Regents University". "Georgia A&M" sounds good but other than Texas A&M, what other prestigious university has the A&M label? I guess "Georgia Arts & Medicine" would clear up any confusion and acknowledge its strong medical mission. Georgia A&M could be it's unofficial name in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,901,623 times
The three finalist have been announced.

Georgia Arts and Sciences University
Georgia Regents University
University of Augusta

Georgia A&S is growing on me, and it would be the first of its kind.

Combined university names announced | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM

998 posts, read 1,541,170 times
It's not just arts and sciences... there was more at ASU than just art! Why is it getting put on the pedestal alone? Georgia A&S University (GAS-U... I can hear the fart jokes already) sounds too much like GHSU and people have hated that since it burst onto the scene... I bet it will be Georgia Regents, just to stroke their egos as they're the ones voting on it. However, I'd like for it to be University of Augusta out of the three, just sounds classy.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM

937 posts, read 1,792,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Or...like that story says...they could ignore that list and come up with a new name.

Considering the other Research Universities are

University of Georgia
Georgia Institute of Technology
Georgia State University

They might want "Georgia" in the name. I just hate the sound of "Georgia Regents University". "Georgia A&M" sounds good but other than Texas A&M, what other prestigious university has the A&M label? I guess "Georgia Arts & Medicine" would clear up any confusion and acknowledge its strong medical mission. Georgia A&M could be it's unofficial name in time.
Threre are other schools with the A&M for example Alabama A&M and Florida A&M right here in the Southeast

Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
Threre are other schools with the A&M for example Alabama A&M and Florida A&M right here in the Southeast
But they are not at the level of Texas A&M. People might also identify Georgia A&M as being an HBCU, which it's not. I think Georgia Arts and Medical, while imperfect, is better than Georgia A&M at least until it can build up its reputation.

Georgia Arts and Sciences sounds like it's about one college in a university, i.e. the College of Arts and Sciences. And GAS U ...oh my...the other schools will have fun with that if it has a football program.

Georgia Regents U doesn't describe it well and why reference the "Regents"?

"Arsenal" makes it sound like a military college.

So that leaves one left and it seems like "University of Augusta" is the most popular of the bunch. Besides, Pennsylvania has state supported schools Penn State U and U of Pittsburgh and Pitt has a very good med school.

But this is the BOR we're talking about here.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 PM

937 posts, read 1,792,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
But they are not at the level of Texas A&M. People might also identify Georgia A&M as being an HBCU, which it's not. I think Georgia Arts and Medical, while imperfect, is better than Georgia A&M at least until it can build up its reputation.

Georgia Arts and Sciences sounds like it's about one college in a university, i.e. the College of Arts and Sciences. And GAS U ...oh my...the other schools will have fun with that if it has a football program.

Georgia Regents U doesn't describe it well and why reference the "Regents"?

"Arsenal" makes it sound like a military college.

So that leaves one left and it seems like "University of Augusta" is the most popular of the bunch. Besides, Pennsylvania has state supported schools Penn State U and U of Pittsburgh and Pitt has a very good med school.

But this is the BOR we're talking about here.
I can hear the Georgia "AS" jokes now lol

Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,020,209 times
Records show University of Augusta was most preferred | The Augusta Chronicle
In the national and Georgia telephone surveys, among internal polls of faculty, staff and students, and among people in the Augusta community, the University of Augusta was the top vote-getter every time, according to research conducted for committees working on the consolidation of the two universities. The Chronicle obtained the records through a Georgia Open Records Act request.

GHSU paid $45,500 to Kennesaw State University’s A.L. Burruss Institute of Public Service to conduct a phone survey of 800 people nationally and 400 people in Georgia, and an Internet survey of 200 faculty at other institutions. Those polled would be told they are being asked about “potential names for a new comprehensive research university,” to rank how much they liked or disliked the name, and also which names they associated with the concepts of “prestige, excellence, and innovation,” according to a proposal for the research. In the first wave, when respondents were asked to rate the names from 1 to 5, with 5 being “like very much.” University of Augusta was the top vote-getter, earning a 4 or 5 from 68.5 percent of the people in Georgia and 55.9 percent nationally.

Midway through the telephone surveys, and apparently after the initial six finalists got a tepid reception, the potential names in the national survey changed. University of Augusta and Bartram University were kept and five names with “Georgia” in the title were added, including Georgia Regents. In the national survey of 199 people, University of Augusta was still tops, with 57 percent giving it a 4 or 5, followed by Georgia National University and Georgia Eastern University. Georgia Regents was a distant fourth, getting favorable marks from less than one-third of those polled. The survey also asked people about Augusta, including in which state it was located and giving them the option to choose more than one. In Georgia, 96 percent said it was in Georgia; 74 percent nationally said it was in Georgia and 6.4 percent said Maine.

There was a third wave of 241 people nationally that was labeled “Final Results for the Last Set of Names,” but it does not say when it was performed. It appears similar to a final recommended list given to the Consolidation Working Group by the Branding Work Team, but this survey does not contain the name Georgia Regents University. Once again, University of Augusta had the most favorable marks at 47.9 percent. Those polled were also asked how the word “Augusta” made them feel. Most, 45.8 percent, said “no feeling either way,” while 44.2 percent said it gave them a positive feeling and only 2.7 percent said negative. In the faculty survey, University of Augusta also received the most favorable ratings, with 68.3 percent, and was the one most associated with “prestige,” “excellence,” “innovation” and even “national.” When asked what they most associated “Augusta” with, many threw out golf, the Masters Tournament, the South and, being academics, some brought up Roman emperor Caesar Augustus.

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-10-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 AM

998 posts, read 1,541,170 times
At the new GRU, hopefully you will be able to take math (U of Augusta got how many votes?) and accounting (how much does it cost for a consulting firm to do multiple surveys and still not get the results that Azziz and the BOR want?)...

This article makes the decision to name the university GRU look even more idiotic and shady... Azziz's whole point of picking GRU was that it was more prestigious and appeals more to the State/National level than does U of Augusta... WELL... so much for that argument!

Old 08-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Well, that's sort of how government works. They do their studies, tally the results, present their findings...then do what they intended in the first place. Nevermind what the students, faculty, and the community want.

If it "has" to have "Georgia" in the name, I think Georgia Arts and Medical would be best as Arts in this case can refer to "Liberal Arts".

Old 08-11-2012, 05:48 PM

2,214 posts, read 3,365,244 times
They said if they name changes to University of Augusta it slow down the merger. I guess they will take back the 45m they gave to MCG to build a new Cancer Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area