Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 02:00 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Calling it a done deal, can't be further from the truth... besides the fact that it hasn't even been confirmed through SACS yet as a "done deal".
There's the solution. People of Augusta, if they already haven't, should be writing and doing whatever it takes to make sure that they don't approve the name. Picket, protest, march, rally, cry, set couches on fire, and flipping cars over in front of their administrative offices should get their attention. All they'd have to do is drive 2 hours, maybe less, up the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 02:21 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
That the problem they have a history of name changing if they probably would have put their foot down along time ago he probably would have been afraid to think of changing the name. He saying why get mad when you didn't do anything about it when it gotten change before.

The BOR probably saying Augusta National get away with doing what they want so they can to the same to the peoples of Augusta.

You said what will make peoples get upset will be if theylose were to lose their job over a name.

The difference is the Augusta National is a private entity and should be able to do in America (not so much anymore) as they see fit with their own club... Is this University and the BOR a private entity? Or are they publicly funded by taxpayers and appointed by an elected official (governor), while also being part of the State University system? Big flippin' difference between the two, BIG difference.

You can't straddle both sides of the fence and throw up absurd comparisons (child birth) that have no correlation to this issue. Actually, MCG was MCG for 180+ years until Azziz showed up... no name changes. But regardless, none of the local name changes occurred under such conditions as this one and none completely omitted, alienated and upset pretty darn near everyone in the local area.

Lose their job? Who is going to lose their job and why? Azziz is the only one that I could potentially see losing his job... he's violated every honor code I've ever signed as a college student with what he has done. Why isn't he held to the same standard that college students are? If you lie to a faculty member or school administration, that's immediate grounds for expulsion.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
The university is in the midst of a three-year plan to “reduce and recycle” $100 million in costs, including $41 million in labor, Hefner said. That included laying off about 100 people last year, but there are no current plans for layoffs, he said.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
The difference is the Augusta National is a private entity and should be able to do in America (not so much anymore) as they see fit with their own club... Is this University and the BOR a private entity? Or are they publicly funded by taxpayers and appointed by an elected official (governor), while also being part of the State University system? Big flippin' difference between the two, BIG difference.

You can't straddle both sides of the fence and throw up absurd comparisons (child birth) that have no correlation to this issue. Actually, MCG was MCG for 180+ years until Azziz showed up... no name changes. But regardless, none of the local name changes occurred under such conditions as this one and none completely omitted, alienated and upset pretty darn near everyone in the local area.

Lose their job? Who is going to lose their job and why? Azziz is the only one that I could potentially see losing his job... he's violated every honor code I've ever signed as a college student with what he has done. Why isn't he held to the same standard that college students are? If you lie to a faculty member or school administration, that's immediate grounds for expulsion.
Home | Mobile Augusta

Old 08-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Ok... are you saying people will be losing their jobs b/c of the merger? Or if the merger doesn't happen people will be losing their jobs? Or as in the country as a whole will be losing jobs, because of the economy?

What is your link supposed to be telling me? There's 50 stories on that page...

Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 PM

It saying without the merger people would have lost jobs . BOR been trying to get MCG at UGA until Dr. Azzie took over to do some damage control. He was the right man for job because he his thick skin.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
It saying without the merger people would have lost jobs . BOR been trying to get MCG at UGA until Dr. Azzie took over to do some damage control. He was the right man for job because he his thick skin.

Ummm... give me the title from the story in your link that you're getting this information from. I have seen no information saying that w/o the merger, people would have lost jobs. People lost jobs because of state funding over a year ago... and actually most if not all of those were open positions they just chose not to fill and run less than full staffed... I know this b/c my wife works there.

Anyone saying that the BOR was or has been trying to move MCG to UGA, is stating personal opinion/speculation, there is no factual evidence to say something like this. All those buildings downtown and the investment over the years... and they want to move the whole thing to Athens?

The man has the thinnest skin i've ever seen...

You seriously have no clue what you're talking about on this, not trying to be mean, you just don't.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Ummm... give me the title from the story in your link that you're getting this information from. I have seen no information saying that w/o the merger, people would have lost jobs. People lost jobs because of state funding over a year ago... and actually most if not all of those were open positions they just chose not to fill and run less than full staffed... I know this b/c my wife works there.

Anyone saying that the BOR was or has been trying to move MCG to UGA, is stating personal opinion/speculation, there is no factual evidence to say something like this. All those buildings downtown and the investment over the years... and they want to move the whole thing to Athens?

The man has the thinnest skin i've ever seen...

You seriously have no clue what you're talking about on this, not trying to be mean, you just don't.
I remember seeing the mayor on tv stating that since the merger happen we don't have to worry about MCG moving to Athen ga.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
I remember seeing the mayor on tv stating that since the merger happen we don't have to worry about MCG moving to Athen ga.
I don't remember the mayor saying anything, but the city should be glad the state is investing millions.. The BOR are trying to use fear tactics to get the residents onboard with the stupid name Georgia Regents...

It would take multiple decades to move the medical school from Augusta to another city... The school is Athens has 40 medical students compared to the 190 in Augusta... Plus you had MCG students choose Augusta 6-1 over Athens in the first class back in 2010..

Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Regent to file suit over Georgia Regents name | The Augusta Chronicle

Regent University in Virginia announced today it will file a trademark infringement lawsuit against the University System of Georgia Board of Regents over its decision to name the consolidated Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences universities Georgia Regents University.

First on 12: Possible renovations coming to Augusta State University's campus

The Facilities Committee for the "New U" is looking at new buildings and renovations for Augusta State University's campus.

News 12 was the only TV station taking part in the briefing with the committee. They talked about a new recreation center and freshmen dorms with 600 to 1,200 beds for new students. Members are also looking at four-story parking decks or garages. If approved, the recreation center and freshmen dorms could be finished by Fall 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area