Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,175 times

Advertisements

Like Arsenal University but don't know how the Jaguar mascot going to fit in with the name. I do like it better then the traditional name Augusta University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,175 times
The new university, which consolidates ASU and GHSU and will be headed by Dr. Ricardo Azziz, will initially be a $1.3 billion enterprise, with statewide, national and global reach. It will include nine colleges, nearly 10,000 students, more than 650 acres of campus and nearly 150 buildings, more than 1,000 full-time faculty and approximately 5,600 staff, an integrated health system and a growing athletics program that includes back-to-back NCAA Division I national championships.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
The premier medical college in the state should be featured. I still say the University of Georgia at Augusta and the medical school the University of Georgia Medical College.

This is similar to Alabama. The University of Alabama's main campus is in Tuscaloosa, but the state's medical school is in Birmingham. UAB grew in stature primarily because of the school of medicine. UAB stands for University of Alabama/Birmingham. It stands on its own but links back to the main university system of the state.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,234 times

Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta State announced this afternoon the school will add men’s and women’s outdoor track and field to its athletic program, bumping its sports offerings to 13 varsity sports. Men’s and women’s outdoor track and field will begin this upcoming academic year. The season runs in the spring, and the NCAA Division II championship will be held in late May.

Ward is now working on recruiting. For the 2012-13 season, the school will offer no scholarships. Ward said he’s proposed a scholarship budget for the 2013-14 season – the first year with the new consolidated university, which merges Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences University.
Waste of time and resources. They should focus on football.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
I've heard Georgia A&M, Augusta University of Georgia, and University of Georgia at Augusta mentioned... I would prefer for the school to create it's own indentity, and leave Georgia out of the name.. Since we already have Georgia Tech, U of GA, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, etc....

The new university will keep the ASU mascot(Jaguars), and retain the MCG name for the medical school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Waste of time and resources. They should focus on football.
I agree with you in terms of football, but Track & Field is definitely needed too.... If Dr. Azzia let's Cal Ripken and Jim Jacoby get involved then football will be here soon.. There's 17 acres(GGHF site on the riverwalk) which is enough room to go vertical, and build the performing arts center, student housing, mix-use development, multi-use facility, research/bio tech park, etc...

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-15-2012 at 10:41 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The premier medical college in the state should be featured. I still say the University of Georgia at Augusta and the medical school the University of Georgia Medical College.

This is similar to Alabama. The University of Alabama's main campus is in Tuscaloosa, but the state's medical school is in Birmingham. UAB grew in stature primarily because of the school of medicine. UAB stands for University of Alabama/Birmingham. It stands on its own but links back to the main university system of the state.
I think that has led to confusion and diminished UAB. To call it the University of Georgia at Augusta suggests it is a branch of UGA.

I say make a total break and declare itself as unique and not include the words "Georgia" or "State" in its name. Augusta is a classy sounding city so The University of Augusta is a classy sounding name. And as universities are made up of colleges, the medical school could keep its historical name "The Medical College of Georgia".

But I would have to say that the premier medical college in Georgia is Emory. But MCG is a very good second.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
Like Arsenal University but don't know how the Jaguar mascot going to fit in with the name. I do like it better then the traditional name Augusta University.
They could shoot the jaguar out of the cannon.

I don't like "Arsenal" because no one will know what or where it is. It doesn't really describe the university either as it will have very strong medical academics.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think that has led to confusion and diminished UAB. To call it the University of Georgia at Augusta suggests it is a branch of UGA.

I say make a total break and declare itself as unique and not include the words "Georgia" or "State" in its name. Augusta is a classy sounding city so The University of Augusta is a classy sounding name. And as universities are made up of colleges, the medical school could keep its historical name "The Medical College of Georgia".

But I would have to say that the premier medical college in Georgia is Emory. But MCG is a very good second.
I am from the other side of the state, don't wish Augusta any harm and do understand the locals wanting to boost their image, but leaving the name of Georgia out of the equation sounds like a local school. Same as if it were Columbus or Macon. I wouldn't care as much if the state's premier school (and I mean state RUN when I say that.... might have to agree with you about Emory) weren't a part of this, but for it to be located at a small branch of the university system on the far side of the state, it needs something more than a local name. I am sure Augusta State is a fine regional state university, but the panache for this institution is the Medical College.

It would be another thing if there were several other University of Gerogia at ______s in the state.... If there were the Universtiy of GA at Kennesaw, U of GA at Valdosta, etc, etc. then I get the point that it would sound like just another branch. It would be the only other school to carry the flagship university's name.

I lived in Alabama and while UAB might seem an underdog to Tuscaloosa when it comes to college football, the locals knew it was on par academically with the main campus and the medical school was one of the reasons why if not THE reason why.

The only good thing about this is the hideous name of Georgia Health Science University or whatever GHSU stood for will be out of the picture.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Emory once had a dental school, and GHSU still has one today in 2012..... The CDC is a huge advantage for Emory in terms of funding... The word 'Augusta' is much more famous than either the cities of Macon or Columbus.... The Masters, James Brown, MCG, Fort Gordon, etc is clearly ahead of those cities, but behind the city of 'Atlanta'... I'm sure Savannah is more knowed in the US, but I don't know about overseas... If we go to Japan for instance Augusta might win over Savannah..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area