Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,113,258 times

Advertisements

The city wanted to get rid of the surplus property around the county, but the auction only lasted around one month.. Even with the limited time to market the property local officials aren't satisfied with the offer. The highest bidder for the train depot was $300k which is very low.. It's not the most flashy development, but still $10-$20 million in private dollars.

Thompson gets cold shoulder on $10M Augusta riverfront development, slams city bid process

Thompson's business partner, Steve Maun, is looking to model a suggested new multi-use housing development after his neighboring Hammond's Ferry project. "$10 million to $20 million would go into this project," Maun said. The historic depot has been sitting vacant years. "It's one of the most historic structures in downtown Augusta. We want to bring it back to life," Maun said. "The train depot itself can be a fantastic collection of shops, stores and restaurants."

Maun says what happens next is in the city's hands. "We need information about the city's vision and we need cooperation." Maun said. "That is all." Commissioners were expected to talk about the bids this week. That meeting was canceled because they did not have a quorum. The city could take up the topic as early as next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM

124 posts, read 242,149 times
I don't think his development plan is appropriate for that site given it's location. Single family homes (modular homes in the 100-200k price range according to the AC) would just be totally out of place there. Something more along the lines of the 'Canalside' development in downtown Columbia seems more fitting.

Plus, 300K for a large, prime riverfront parcel with a large historic building on it is a real low-ball offer.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 PM

I'm kinda torn between the current development and what could be in the future.. The developer plans are $150k-$250k homes, and includes apartments too.. Given how fragile how the economy is, I'm not sure if will see another $100 million(i.e Watermark) project anytime soon.. Unless there's some kind of private/public partnership created.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,391,463 times
No it not a good deal but Depot turn into a retail and restaurant. We don't need to be in a rush wine it been sitting there for years so no it not a good offer and I think people feel like they can take what they want because augusta is smaller city compare to other.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 PM

The train depot comes with the surrounding land, and they wouldn't be able to only renovate the depot portion...

Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 PM

937 posts, read 1,802,558 times
Housing at the depot is defnately not appropriate. I would muc rather see high rise apartments on the site which would equal out cheaper or the same price.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,458 times
I don't care as long as something is built. Seeing as how the property might only go for 300k, says a lot. There isn't a demand for the property and it has been like that for years. I don't have a crystal ball so this development may turn out to be a boon for downtown. The more people that move down there, the more businesses are going to take chances down there.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
No it not a good deal but Depot turn into a retail and restaurant. We don't need to be in a rush wine it been sitting there for years so no it not a good offer and I think people feel like they can take what they want because augusta is smaller city compare to other.
I'm sorry that you feel that way, but that isn't the case. If that land was so valuable, it would have been bought before being put up for auction. So what if it isn't something as grand as what the Watermark was going to be, but it is going to bring people downtown. This idea seems more tangible, more realistic. I believe this development is going to happen. Someone wants to build residential and retail downtown! No brainer, let them do it. Not to mention, this guy hasn't asked for any money or help unlike some other proposed developments.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,391,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
I'm sorry that you feel that way, but that isn't the case. If that land was so valuable, it would have been bought before being put up for auction. So what if it isn't something as grand as what the Watermark was going to be, but it is going to bring people downtown. This idea seems more tangible, more realistic. I believe this development is going to happen. Someone wants to build residential and retail downtown! No brainer, let them do it. Not to mention, this guy hasn't asked for any money or help unlike some other proposed developments.
Ok you right the more downtown the better but we still don't have to rush. I don't like his development plan for the residential houses. Who have houses in the middle of downtown? that will be so jake up if they woulddo have said upscale apartments then I will by it. 10-20m not going to get you something to be happy about after years pass by the you be like I wish they didn't sold them that land and depot awhile back. If the developer go with the plan then it not going to help Augusta more forward but to look more like a retirement home downtown.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 AM

2,663 posts, read 4,847,800 times
This is Columbus old train depot. Now serves as the Greatest Columbus Chamber.
//www.city-data.com/forum/colum...-columbus.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: