Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times

Advertisements

First off, this is my opinion. So please don't take offense if something I say doesn't agree with what you believe. I'll start with what I liked.

I520. I liked how it takes you around the city, could use a similar idea here in Greenville.
Traffic in general was not congested or at least not as bad as I've become used to, and the drivers seem more courteous there. We are dealing with an influx of transplants, construction, and growth here. So I guess that could be it.

Downtown area has potential. Could use some updating. To me it had a 70s look and feel to it, which I guess could be a good thing. Wasn't very busy for a Saturday. Also, didn't see any new construction; but I could have missed it. I remember someone saying it was growing really fast, so I expected to see more construction and revitalization going on.

Washington Rd. Was easy to drive and seemed to have a nice selection. Traffic moved very well unlike Woodruff Rd. here.
Overall I saw lots of potential in Augusta. Thanks for reading! I invite you on a trip up to Greenville so you can give your opinions. I enjoyed visiting your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Most of the new construction going on downtown is rehabbing historic properties, which is definitely a good thing. Other than that, you've got civic buildings that are relatively new like the library and courthouse, but they aren't on Broad Street. The new convention center is under construction though, and that will be a nice boon for downtown.

I think the singular best thing that could be done for downtown is removing the levee to connect the Savannah River and the Riverwalk with the rest of the CBD.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Most of the new construction going on downtown is rehabbing historic properties, which is definitely a good thing. Other than that, you've got civic buildings that are relatively new like the library and courthouse, but they aren't on Broad Street. The new convention center is under construction though, and that will be a nice boon for downtown.

I think the singular best thing that could be done for downtown is removing the levee to connect the Savannah River and the Riverwalk with the rest of the CBD.
Rehabbing is definitely a good thing! I guess I expected to see more new construction, like mixed use stuff going up. Like I said though. The potential is there.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Rehabbing is definitely a good thing! I guess I expected to see more new construction, like mixed use stuff going up. Like I said though. The potential is there.
I think that will come in due time, particularly as residential demand increases (and I think that will eventually happen). The good thing is that Augusta is a pretty old city and has a decent amount of historic stock that testifies to that, so it doesn't necessarily need quite as much new infill as other cities that lack that extensiveness in its historic urban fabric. But I like the mix of establishments in downtown and the fact that it gives you that funky, eclectic neighborhood village vibe (e.g., Five Points in Columbia, NoDa in Charlotte, Little Five Points in Atlanta, etc.) smack dab in the middle of downtown.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
I was stationed there for two weeks 20 years ago. Pretty charming city, historical. Normally, as you say, traffic not a problem. But the locals say it gets crazy during the Masters, and many skip town that time.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
The TEE center is under construction on Reynolds street, and the park deck is completed.... The majority of construction in the CBD is renovating buildings... We do have some new construction projects proposed in the CBD(Hyatt Place hotel, Marbury lofts).....

There's several mix-use projects underway right now in the CBD... The JB Whites building on Broad street recently completed 34 condos(51 total).. The vacant building on Ellis street connected via skywalk became private parking/gated access(not all the way completed).... New Moon Cafe recently moved into the building... Several other businesses are in the Whites/Doris building too... Great view of the building on Ellis street in the link below...
Safe, Secured Parking | The JB Whites Building

Sprint Food & Metro Market is underway at 851 Broad next to the Augusta Common...Open air seating, 1st floor urban market: restaurant/convenience store, and 2nd floor Sprint Food corporate offices and space for other tenants... Other mix-use construction projects underway are 586 Broad, 566 Broad, 556 Broad, 901 Broad street, 307 9th street, etc...

Right outside of the CBD you could have driven past the $112 million dental school in the Medical District... The $100 million plus Kroc Center complex in Harrisbug is still expanding, and we have plenty of new construction ongoing in Laney Walker/Bethlehem.... The first phase of the $30 million Walton Oaks development is open in East Augusta...

The construction on I-520 is keeping alot of people from using the interstate.. I-520 could still have less traffic compared to I-385 if that's the comparison.. Recently some of the exits/lanes have been closed, and then reopened a few days later.... The first phase

The majority of new construction in the urban core begins next year..
CBD
17 acres(housing, performing arts center, research park, etc) going to GHSU/ASU on the riverfront... Both Cal Ripken(multi-use facility), and Jim Jacoby(mix use development) could be apart of the development..

Medical District
$76 million Medical Commons
40k sq. ft. Walmart neighborhood Market, other businesses, sidewalks/bike lanes, GHSU/ASU buildings, etc.
$1 million GHSU pedestrian park
Foundry Place(apts, townhomes, retail) Residential 2nd floor, retail 1st floor
$95 million cancer center, parking deck, new main entrance at GHSU

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-24-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 08:37 PM

I'll have to look more carefully next time. It just wasn't the "new construction at every corner" feeling I get here. For traffic I was speaking of I-20 also. You'd probably have to take a trip here to see what i'm saying.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I'll have to look more carefully next time. It just wasn't the "new construction at every corner" feeling I get here.
Downtown Greenville is in the middle of a mini-construction boom right now and is somewhat of an anomaly as far as that goes, so it shouldn't really be used as a standard. The nation is still in economic recovery mode.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Downtown Greenville may have more construction, but it doesn't sound like you spent alot of time in the majority of the CBD... The TEE Center construction would be very noticeable to the human eye... They're incorporating the old warehouse into the design of the center... Then you have historic homes along Greene with huge dumpsters on the street in the front(apts, businesses).. I could add the renovation of the former Fort Discovery property on the Riverwalk...

http://wfxg.images.worldnow.com/images/18797701_BG1.jpg
http://metrospirit.com/wordpress/wp-...r/p1080264.jpg
http://metrospirit.com/wordpress/wp-...r/p1080322.jpg
http://metrospirit.com/wordpress/wp-...r/p1080295.jpg

I'm sure I-85 has more traffic compared to I-20....

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-24-2012 at 11:32 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Downtown Greenville is in the middle of a mini-construction boom right now and is somewhat of an anomaly as far as that goes, so it shouldn't really be used as a standard. The nation is still in economic recovery mode.
Can you post some pictures of Greenville downtown construction projects and some random pictures of Greenville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area