Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,655 times

Advertisements

I would expect that Bass Pro will give VAR another look if all the hotels and residential developments come into fruition. This isn't great but its OK. With the Starplex Cinema, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, California Pizza Kitchen, Chipotle, Cheescake Factory, H&M, REI, World Market, Gander Mountain a bike ride away make Edgefield and North Augusta future hot spots in Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 AM

250 posts, read 580,597 times
While im not trying to be a hater, I have to say that the concept is rather boring. Especially if you look at the other projects that have been done by the group. This is a chance to do something different and it looks like it will be another mundane shopping center. Granted I will love some of the new stores that it will hopefully attract. I was just hoping that we would get something different and unique for our area. Ive said this before, the Village at Sandhills in Columbia is an amazing example of how to create that main street atmosphere

TENANT DIRECTORY & MAP | Village at Sandhill Online

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmans77 View Post
While im not trying to be a hater, I have to say that the concept is rather boring. Especially if you look at the other projects that have been done by the group. This is a chance to do something different and it looks like it will be another mundane shopping center. Granted I will love some of the new stores that it will hopefully attract. I was just hoping that we would get something different and unique for our area. Ive said this before, the Village at Sandhills in Columbia is an amazing example of how to create that main street atmosphere

I concur. I'm sure we would have had that type of development, but the economy messed that up. I just wish that they would wait and try to do that type of development rather than go along with this one. At least we'll be getting some new stores and restaurants though.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
This is something totally diffrent for the Augusta area.... We don't have any large mixed-use centers in the suburbs with residential, big box, and smaller stores...

The VAR isn't a 'power' center type development.......

Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 AM

614 posts, read 1,101,317 times
If VAR is scaled down anymore, it won't be worth building. There has to be something special about this project to get folks to support it or it will fail.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:23 PM

This development is located in Augusta, and not metro Atlanta were they might build large mixed-use centers all over the metro... The only competition for the VAR will be the Augusta mall, Augusta Exchange, and maybe WTP...

The Costco is the only location in the state of Georgia outside of metro Atlanta.... I've seen plenty of tags who don't live in the metro area or CSRA... I'm sure the development will attract things new to the Augusta area...

It was only scaled down one time due to the recession... They still included a new theatre, but also added residential to the equation.. If the Augusta Exchange, and even Mullins Crossing can stay open with their tenants...

I have no problem believing the VAR will have plenty of local support... Plus if they include residential then people will be living next to the retail & entertainment...

The development only needs the right mix of tenants... Target, Marshallls, Chick Fil A, Moes, Khols, Ross, etc at Mullins Crossing is far from being anything considered special....

The VAR is by far the best chance to attract things not presently in Augusta...

Old 07-03-2012, 02:31 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
This development is located in Augusta, and not metro Atlanta were they might build large mixed-use centers all over the metro... The only competition for the VAR will be the Augusta mall, Augusta Exchange, and maybe WTP...

The Costco is the only location in the state of Georgia outside of metro Atlanta.... I've seen plenty of tags who don't live in the metro area or CSRA... I'm sure the development will attract things new to the Augusta area...

It was only scaled down one time due to the recession... They still included a new theatre, but also added residential to the equation.. If the Augusta Exchange, and even Mullins Crossing can stay open with their tenants...

I have no problem believing the VAR will have plenty of local support... Plus if they include residential then people will be living next to the retail & entertainment...

The development only needs the right mix of tenants... Target, Marshallls, Chick Fil A, Moes, Khols, Ross, etc at Mullins Crossing is far from being anything considered special....

The VAR is by far the best chance to attract things not presently in Augusta...

Are you sure about that? Same could be said about WTP. Is the Augusta Exchange area done? Nort, you know I believe that the Exchange area is going to overtake downtown. Isn't ADP supposed to be expanding soon? Who says they won't build a mid-rise in that area. We all know that the Exchange is well overdue for some hotels. They'll be making an appearance soon. The Exchange area is growing, expanding, and getting better every year.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmans77 View Post

Fully agree. Also should check out Birkdale Village in Huntersville, NC, right above Charlotte. Very nice development, and very well frequented. It's always packed! Would also be real neat if they tied in the Augusta Canal Trail into the backside of the VAR. Wouldn't be too much for a small bridge, like they have over behind Savannah Rapids Pavilion. Perhaps even go so far as to add a small dedicated parking area at the trail entrance for those who want to hit the trail for a bike/walk, then drop into a restaurant. Again, thinking of uniqueness...

Anyway, the more business in Augusta, the better for all, so I'm not one to complain. But there are much better designs to be considered that would "stick out" to compete against Augusta Exchange & the like and, IMO, draw a considerable crowd to the businesses.

Last edited by symsdogg; 07-03-2012 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Are you sure about that? Same could be said about WTP. Is the Augusta Exchange area done? Nort, you know I believe that the Exchange area is going to overtake downtown. Isn't ADP supposed to be expanding soon? Who says they won't build a mid-rise in that area. We all know that the Exchange is well overdue for some hotels. They'll be making an appearance soon. The Exchange area is growing, expanding, and getting better every year.
I think the Augusta Exchange area is pretty much done in terms of large tracts of acres... There's still available land surrounding the development, but it's spread out along Wheeler rd & Walton Way Ext.... The Home2Suites by Hilton is under construction, and the Residence Inn by Marriott starts later on this year.. The largest proposed development is Crane Creek apartments(28 acres) at 3715 Walton Way Ext, and this is all the way on the other side of I-20/Walton Way Ext...

If we compare WTP vs VAR right now in the year 2012... I would give the advantage to VAR(both have plans for residential), but Costco wins over Carmax... WTP is also smaller compared to the VAR, and probably only has around 50 acres left to develop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by symsdogg View Post
Fully agree. Also should check out Birkdale Village in Huntersville, NC, right above Charlotte. Very nice development, and very well frequented. It's always packed! Would also be real neat if they tied in the Augusta Canal Trail into the backside of the VAR. Wouldn't be too much for a small bridge, like they have over behind Savannah Rapids Pavilion. Perhaps even go so far as to add a small dedicated parking area at the trail entrance for those who want to hit the trail for a bike/walk, then drop into a restaurant. Again, thinking of uniqueness...

Anyway, the more business in Augusta, the better for all, so I'm not one to complain. But there are much better designs to be considered that would "stick out" to compete against Augusta Exchange & the like and, IMO, draw a considerable crowd to the businesses.
I think everybody on here made some valid points about the development... I wouldn't really call any of the post 'complaining', because the development did change from lifestyle center to power/lifestyle center...

I did hear you might be able to take canal rides back & forth from the VAR to the Enterprise Mill in downtown Augusta...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I think the Augusta Exchange area is pretty much done in terms of large tracts of acres... There's still available land surrounding the development, but it's spread out along Wheeler rd & Walton Way Ext.... The Home2Suites by Hilton is under construction, and the Residence Inn by Marriott starts later on this year.. The largest proposed development is Crane Creek apartments(28 acres) at 3715 Walton Way Ext, and this is all the way on the other side of I-20/Walton Way Ext...

If we compare WTP vs VAR right now in the year 2012... I would give the advantage to VAR(both have plans for residential), but Costco wins over Carmax... WTP is also smaller compared to the VAR, and probably only has around 50 acres left to develop...

I think everybody on here made some valid points about the development... I wouldn't really call any of the post 'complaining', because the development did change from lifestyle center to power/lifestyle center...

I did hear you might be able to take canal rides back & forth from the VAR to the Enterprise Mill in downtown Augusta...
Good thing about WTP is that with only 50 acres to build on, we may finally see some height to a few projects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area