Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 PM

322 posts, read 586,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
Augusta mall remind me of Perimeter Mall a upscale feeling but snobby.
I know that you mean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
How are you going to tell the person behind the comment what they meant?

The malls in both cities have been discussed numerous times on this forum, and I have never mentioned the Augusta mall and Olgethorpe being on the same level. The Augusta mall is nicer than the Columbiana mall in Columbia and even the Haywood(more debatable) mall in Greenville.
I agree that overall, Augusta currently has the edge in retail over Columbia and Augusta Mall is better than Columbiana. However, Columbia is definitely starting to catch up; it already has Whole Foods and also has a few retail stores/restaurants that Augusta doesn't, including Trader Joe's, Urban Outfitters, Ruth's Chris, Wet Willie's, Jillians, and Mast General Store (which isn't a national chain, but it's a highly-coveted regional chain). The advantage that Columbia has in getting more retail stores and restaurants a little later is that these companies are starting to locate more in downtowns and in-town neighborhoods instead of exclusively in malls; this is the case with all of the retailers I just mentioned. Obviously some of the other stores and restaurants will go to the suburbs when they come to Columbia, but there's a chance that more will at least give downtown a look. I think if Apple locates somewhere downtown when it enters the Columbia market, it would have been well worth the wait--and there's a good chance of that happening with all of the residential developments downtown catering to the student population.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
How do this cities compare on other fronts? In other words, how is your downtown, park system, transit system, airport etc. How about your cities gdp or real estate market? Things seem to be stuck on malls and retail, but what else can your city offer? Hopefully this will expand this thread into more than just one thing.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
How do this cities compare on other fronts? In other words, how is your downtown, park system, transit system, airport etc. How about your cities gdp or real estate market? Things seem to be stuck on malls and retail, but what else can your city offer? Hopefully this will expand this thread into more than just one thing.
My original post included many other things underway besides retail developments..

I think you're only focusing on the last couple of pages...

Last edited by nortonguy; 11-12-2013 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree that overall, Augusta currently has the edge in retail over Columbia and Augusta Mall is better than Columbiana. However, Columbia is definitely starting to catch up; it already has Whole Foods and also has a few retail stores/restaurants that Augusta doesn't, including Trader Joe's, Urban Outfitters, Ruth's Chris, Wet Willie's, Jillians, and Mast General Store (which isn't a national chain, but it's a highly-coveted regional chain). The advantage that Columbia has in getting more retail stores and restaurants a little later is that these companies are starting to locate more in downtowns and in-town neighborhoods instead of exclusively in malls; this is the case with all of the retailers I just mentioned. Obviously some of the other stores and restaurants will go to the suburbs when they come to Columbia, but there's a chance that more will at least give downtown a look. I think if Apple locates somewhere downtown when it enters the Columbia market, it would have been well worth the wait--and there's a good chance of that happening with all of the residential developments downtown catering to the student population.

The Augusta area is going to have new amenities in the CBD and Medical District.

MCG Foundation expects to buy city bus depot by December | The Augusta Chronicle

Downtown retail project starting soon | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
My original post included many other things underway besides retail developments..

I think you're only focusing on the last couple of pages...
Just trying to broaden the thread. I read it.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
It's good that the city hired a retail consulting firm to help recruit those sorts of businesses downtown. Columbia did something similar a couple of years back which is a big reason it was able to land Mast General Store on Main Street, and from there, a wave of redevelopment has followed. I hope this yields similar results for downtown Augusta.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I agree that overall, Augusta currently has the edge in retail over Columbia and Augusta Mall is better than Columbiana. However, Columbia is definitely starting to catch up; it already has Whole Foods and also has a few retail stores/restaurants that Augusta doesn't, including Trader Joe's, Urban Outfitters, Ruth's Chris, Wet Willie's, Jillians, and Mast General Store (which isn't a national chain, but it's a highly-coveted regional chain).
Another example of Columbia catching up fast: COLUMBIA, SC: Shop Around: Nordstrom’s division looking at Columbia’s Harbison area | Shop Around | The State

While it hasn't been officially confirmed by the company, word on the street is that this is pretty much a go.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
Another example of Columbia catching up fast: COLUMBIA, SC: Shop Around: Nordstrom’s division looking at Columbia’s Harbison area | Shop Around | The State

While it hasn't been officially confirmed by the company, word on the street is that this is pretty much a go.

I saw Nordstroms and got excited for my mom and sister until I saw it was the Rack. They would have loved a Nordstroms less than an hour a way. That's still good news for Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area