Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,100,025 times

Advertisements

I'm sure everybody can see there's more growth & planned/ongoing construction in Augusta, Richmond County, metro, and the CSRA in 2012 compared to our entire lifetimes(unless you remember the 50's-60's)...

Do you think 2013 is finally the year of Augusta? Or 2014-2015?

Next year we should begin to see construction start at the GGHF site downtown & ASU east/west campuses... The Medical Commons & pedestrian park begin this year in the Medical District, but won't ramp up construction until 2013...

The MOX and NSA both equal over 6 billion and will be completed this year, but won't reach high gear until next year.. The construction at Plant Vogtle, Bridgestone, Starbucks, and Rockwood(over 16 billion) will speed up next year also...

The Village at Riverwatch, Wheeler Town Park, Walmart on Wrightsboro rd, neighborhood Walmart/other amenities on 15th street, medical commons, Laney Walker pedestrian park, 13 acre shopping center on Gordon Hwy, renovation of Miller Theatre, Home 2 Suites by Hilton, Residential Inn by Marriott, General Perry Smith Pkwy at Augusta Regional, I-520 widening in South Augusta, Holiday Inn Express, etc will all be under construction next year..

Then you have several projects who can also break ground in 2013... Including the Cancer center in the Medical District, Hyatt Place, 25 acre shopping center, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:29 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I'm sure everybody can see there's more growth & planned/ongoing construction in Augusta, Richmond County, metro, and the CSRA in 2012 compared to our entire lifetimes(unless you remember the 50's-60's)...

Next year we should begin to see construction start at the GGHF site downtown & ASU east/west campuses... The Medical Commons & pedestrian park begin this year in the Medical District, but won't ramp up construction until 2013...

The MOX and NSA both equal over 6 billion and will be completed this year, but won't reach high gear until next year.. The construction at Plant Vogtle, Bridgestone, Starbucks, and Rockwood(over 16 billion) will speed up next year also...

The Village at Riverwatch, Wheeler Town Park, Walmart on Wrightsboro rd, neighborhood Walmart/other amenities on 15th street, medical commons, Laney Walker pedestrian park, 13 acre shopping center on Gordon Hwy, renovation of Miller Theatre, Home 2 Suites by Hilton, Residential Inn by Marriott, General Perry Smith Pkwy at Augusta Regional, I-520 widening in South Augusta, Holiday Inn Express, etc will all be under construction next year..

Then you have several projects who can also break ground in 2013... Including the Cancer center in the Medical District, Hyatt Place, 25 acre shopping center, etc....
Wow ok take a breathe..... lol..... I agree with you the city and area will experience a surge in population and growth. You see it's a pyramid effect..... most of the people employed at the plant will settle in north Burke county or south Richmond county very few will settle far from the plant..... gas prices..... price of land, there are a lot of factors to play with. With an increase in population come increases in retail and entertainment which also increases jobs which also increase people. People fail to think about this but when you refer to a job coming or a relocation, you are talking more than likely about a family, i.e. two or more people. The 2020 census will show more people moving to the area. Augusta is quietly positioning itself to become a greater influence in the southeast, while the sights are on Savannah and Atlanta at the time, look for Augusta to take a huge leap forward as the rest of this decade shapes out.

Last edited by therealpattman; 08-05-2012 at 07:39 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 09:06 AM

934 posts, read 1,346,655 times
North Augusta will eventually spread into Edge-field County. NA would gain the Merriwether area's assets with potential economic and recreational benefit include close proximity to I-20, Savannah River, Stevens Creek, Sumter National Forest as well as local agriculture and tourism. What separates Augusta from the rest of its peers in GA it that Augusta is surrounded by counties that are just as ambitious and compete with each other and Augusta for jobs, retail and residents. Reminds me of Atlanta, not so much Savannah and Columbus.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:

We can add the Cancer Center(anticipated $90 million) to the list of projects underway next year.. $45 million coming from the state was announced today... The Medical District will have the $90 million Cancer Center, $76 million Medical Commons, $1 million Laney Walker pedestrian park, and Walmart neighborhood market/additional amenities under construction at the same time.. This doesn't include the city's development on the edge of the area(Foundry Place; retail on top of residential)...

GHSU medical commons plans expand with $10 million gift | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
We can add the Cancer Center(anticipated $90 million) to the list of projects underway next year.. $45 million coming from the state was announced today... The Medical District will have the $90 million Cancer Center, $76 million Medical Commons, $1 million Laney Walker pedestrian park, and Walmart neighborhood market/additional amenities under construction at the same time.. This doesn't include the city's development on the edge of the area(Foundry Place; retail on top of residential)...

GHSU medical commons plans expand with $10 million gift | The Augusta Chronicle
The Cancer Center will cost $100 million, and not the initial $90 million figure. This goes along with Gov. Deal plans to have two NCI cancer centers in Georgia(Emory), and turn GHSU into an top 50 medical school.. Earlier this year he said $5 million in state funds would go towards the current Cancer Center..

Were up to almost $200 million in terms of new construction related to GHSU/ASU... We haven't even started on the ASU east/west campuses, or the biggest potential investment(17 acre GGHF site downtown)..

The University System of Georgia Board of Regents’ Fiscal Year 2014 capital request includes $45 million in bond funding for a new $100 million cancer research building.

The cancer research building will be helpful in the university’s push to get designated as a National Cancer Institute Cancer Center, which would be the second one in Georgia after the one at Emory University.

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-07-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,317 times
Interesting read. Don't know if someone posted this in the past or not:

Timeline: 35 years of success, false starts | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Interesting read. Don't know if someone posted this in the past or not:

Timeline: 35 years of success, false starts | The Augusta Chronicle
Honestly, after reading the article it seems as if everything in the article came to fruition with the exception of the watermark project. I guess we can substitute the watermark with the downtown hyatt.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
Honestly, after reading the article it seems as if everything in the article came to fruition with the exception of the watermark project. I guess we can substitute the watermark with the downtown hyatt.
I wouldn't do that just yet, because the Watermark was proposed before the recession..

Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
No we can't. The Watermark has to be the project that hurts the most in some regards. 2 hotels 8-12 stories, condo tower, apartment tower, office tower, restaurants and retail. The project could be considered a poor man's Atlantic Station. Mr. Kitchens, project developer, had a tenant for the office tower. Initially, there was only going to be 1 hotel but Hilton reps came down and visited the site, which would have been hotel 2. I think the final cost was 120+ million. If that project would have happened, I don't think there would have been anymore discussion about which of the 2nd tier cities has the best skyline.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:57 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,655 times
Remember when the Judicial Building was going to be 20 stories when first proposed? Imagine that next to the Augusta canal. That would have left no question or discussion about the skyline ranking. What happened to Telfair Station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area