Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:40 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,096 times

Advertisements

It is now official, the newly mergered ASU and GHSU is now Georgia Regents University.

New name is Georgia Regents University | The Augusta Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 02:45 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Boo

Old 08-07-2012, 04:41 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,387,264 times
I don't like the name but I understand his mission. We you have to give up something to get more in return. I think this going to great for Augusta down the road because time held everything. Five years from now we will appreciate the new name. It not that serious folks Emory University sound worse then Georgia Regents University but it one of the top school in Georgia. This my belief I think Dr. Azzie don't like the name neither. If you look at the first names was on the ballet GRU was on there until the second list came out. So that make think that the
BOR took a look at the list and add GRU to the list. So while everybody y trying to keep coming up with a name they been selected GRU the first it on the list. We have understand Azzie don't have no control of the name to say he want the new u be call GRU is not fair to him. They probably gave him a call told him they going to select GRU
weather he like it or not. So stop crying we have a name so let move forward.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:49 PM

934 posts, read 1,346,534 times
Its a top school regardless the name.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:01 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
It not that serious folks Emory University sound worse then Georgia Regents University but it one of the top school in Georgia.
LOL, no it doesn't. It's clear that the name "Emory" is referring to a particular person, like Cornell, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc. But I kinda like the name Georgia Regents; it sounds official.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
I don't like the name but I understand his mission. We you have to give up something to get more in return. I think this going to great for Augusta down the road because time held everything. Five years from now we will appreciate the new name. It not that serious folks Emory University sound worse then Georgia Regents University but it one of the top school in Georgia. This my belief I think Dr. Azzie don't like the name neither. If you look at the first names was on the ballet GRU was on there until the second list came out. So that make think that the
BOR took a look at the list and add GRU to the list. So while everybody y trying to keep coming up with a name they been selected GRU the first it on the list. We have understand Azzie don't have no control of the name to say he want the new u be call GRU is not fair to him. They probably gave him a call told him they going to select GRU
weather he like it or not. So stop crying we have a name so let move forward.
Emory University sounds way better than Georgia Regents University.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:39 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,096 times
Give it time, the university will gain a nick name and like Virginia Tech it will know by it.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,785 times
As an ASU alum, this is a terrible name in my opinion. Georgia Regents University has no catchiness or anything to it. Bad decision here. Some fellow friends and alums on facebook jokingly say that everybody can now be "gurus," playing off the GRU abbreviation.

Guess I need to go update my resume for the name change...

Old 08-07-2012, 10:19 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Sort of affirms my belief that the BOR are not very bright. Georgia Health Sciences University was a terrible name and they still haven't learned given this new name. It may not seem like much, but a good name would get the university off on the right foot. It has already stumbled at the start.

And this from the article
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Regent" (sic) Tommy Hopkins
“This university is more and bigger than Augusta,” he said. To continue the expected growth, “this university needs to be marketed as more than Augusta. We need a name that donors from throughout Georgia can support and not feel they are abandoning their local colleges and universities.”
So calling it "Georgia Regents" fixes that? Like one of the comments said, GRU sounds more like an online Diploma Mill. GRU is just not a good name.

There are a lot of prestigious schools with city names. University of Chicago, University of Pittsburgh, University of Cincinnati, University of Miami. Actually, Augusta is known well enough. I'd have even preferred Georgia Arts & Medical (Georgia A&M) over Georgia Regents University.

I doubt Regents University in Virginia has much of a case in terms of the trademark "Regents", but I hope they win.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 AM

194 posts, read 317,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Sort of affirms my belief that the BOR are not very bright. Georgia Health Sciences University was a terrible name and they still haven't learned given this new name. It may not seem like much, but a good name would get the university off on the right foot. It has already stumbled at the start.

And this from the article

So calling it "Georgia Regents" fixes that? Like one of the comments said, GRU sounds more like an online Diploma Mill. GRU is just not a good name.

There are a lot of prestigious schools with city names. University of Chicago, University of Pittsburgh, University of Cincinnati, University of Miami. Actually, Augusta is known well enough. I'd have even preferred Georgia Arts & Medical (Georgia A&M) over Georgia Regents University.

I doubt Regents University in Virginia has much of a case in terms of the trademark "Regents", but I hope they win.
Georgia A&M sounds good. Just curious. Is there already an East Georgia University??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area