Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times

Advertisements

A recent article mentioned how both Dave & Busters and Bass Pro were tenants of the VAR... I remember the Starplex cinemas, REI, Cost Plus World Market, and Pizza Extreme or Extreme Pizza mentioned several times.. The Dave & Busters rumors were mostly linked to the Augusta mall lifestyle center expansion.. Do you think Augusta can support a Dave and Busters??

CostCo was originally planned to build and open back in 2009 along with many other stores (such as Dave & Busters and Bass Pro Shops) in the proposed "Village At Riverwatch," which was halted due to the recession. With CostCo finally going into construction, there is hope that the other businesses intending to put locations on the site will also finalize construction plans.
Image Gallery | Southern Site Design

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-23-2011 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,905 times
Hell yeah it can that's good news for Augusta.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:36 AM

250 posts, read 580,597 times
I would love to see a Dave and Busters here. I hope we could support it. According to their website their market requirements are as follows
Super-regional Draw:
1,000,000 SF retail (1/4 mile)
100,000 daytime population (3 miles)
500,000 population (10 miles)

do you have an idea of what the numbers for that area are?

even if they dont build a full size one it would be nice to possibly see a scaled back version of one. Id also like to see a scaled back version of a california pizza kitchen move to the area.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,911 times
I don't think Augusta is anywhere close enough to support a D&B. The one in Charlotte seems to struggle at times when I have been. It is basically a Chuck E Cheese during the day until the nightlife crowd comes in. I just think Augusta has enough issues supporting the bars they currently have before adopting another mega-bar atmosphere. However, Carolina Ale House has done very well...

I guess it all depends on how well the Village does.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:09 AM

934 posts, read 1,346,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I don't think Augusta is anywhere close enough to support a D&B.
Augusta is more than ready to support a Dave & Busters, D&B knows this.

Quote:
I just think Augusta has enough issues supporting the bars they currently have...
Augusta is tired of the same old whole in the wall bars we have all over the city, we need something with an established brand name.

Quote:
However, Carolina Ale House has done very well...
You dont think D&B can do better in Augusta than Carolina Ale? People from as far as Columbia SC would be coming to Augusta.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:30 AM

635 posts, read 1,509,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
You dont think D&B can do better in Augusta than Carolina Ale? People from as far as Columbia SC would be coming to Augusta.
I completely agree with this when I was stationed in connecticut we would travel to providence, just to go to the dave and busters there, and their mall was worth the trip. That is a good thing for it to succeed, have a destination worth the travel, be it a mall with all the necessities or what, but make it worth the trip.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:05 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,996 times
SeaSpur is right, Augusta simply isn't big enough for a D&B.

Just look at the requirements (that someone has already mentioned) that they lay out on their website:
1,000,000 SF retail (1/4 mile)
100,000 daytime population (3 miles)
500,000 population (10 miles)

About the only place in the metro with 1 million sf of retail within a quarter mile is the Augusta Mall, not the VaR site; even if the VaR was developed as planned it still wouldn't be large enough to meet this requirement.

Also, there's that requirement of having 500,000 people living within 10 miles of the D&B. The SIX COUNTY Augusta MSA is only around 560,000 people. Even if the first two requirements were satisfied, there's no way any location in Augusta or the CSRA would satisfy that last requirement. Why do you think that D&B only has 55 locations in only the largest cities/metros in the country?

You guys can say all day long that 'oh Augusta will support it' and that 'people will drive from miles around to support it', but companies have carefully crafted requirements that have to be met before they risk the money opening a business.

About the only way we'll get anything like a D&B around here is if some local yocal decides to open a knock-off called Dan & Bobby's.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:21 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times
According to the company involved in the construction of the VAR.. D&B was coming to the VAR development before it stopped construction..

The daytime population within 3 miles of the VAR is well over 100k(I-20, Washington rd, & Riverwatch Pkwy)..

The Augusta mall isn't the nearest area with atleast 1 million sq ft of retail..

The completed Village at Riverwatch and the retail along Washington rd(National Hills, Washintong Walk/Kroger shopping center, Publix shopping center, Fairway Square, Steinmart shopping center & Washington Corner) along with Furys Ferry rd(Furys Ferry Station & Village West) is easily over 1 million square feet of retail.. The retail in the area was already pretty significant prior to the VAR construction.

The Augusta Exchange area is over 1 million sq ft. of retail(Augusta Exchange, Best Buy shopping center, Limelite Cafe/Tony Romas/Tutti Frutti shopping center, Panera Bread shopping center, Walton Plaza, & Waltons Corner)..

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-27-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,996 times
It's 1 million sf of retail within .25 miles of the D&B site (i.e., the Village at Riverwatch). Literally the only retail within a quarter mile of the VaR site is a Gas Station.

Also, are you sure about the daytime population within 3 miles of the VaR site being 'well over 100k' ? Just curious because the total population within 3 miles of the Augusta Exchange (an area that is much more densely populated) is only 55,824.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,532,569 times
dave and busters rumors are always true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area