Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from Atlanta and decided to take a small day trip to Augusta to see what it's like. I noticed as I was in the Augusta area, people drive incredibly slow...I mean like, left lane, people going at 45 miles per hour....like in Atlanta, usually the left lanes drive at 10 mph over the speed limit, but here, it was EVERYONE who was driving slow, although the speed limit on the 520 was 55 mph.

Also, I was incredibly underwhelmed by the downtown area...was expecting something more of like Savannah or even a larger Athens, but it was worse then these 2 cities. The main street of Broad just...I don't know...it wasn't great and I can see why people never go to Augusta from Atlanta or any other city. Likely, my one and only trip to the city as I saw nothing unique or special about it...like a 10x-20x smaller Atlanta with nothing but strip malls and a incredibly subpar downtown area and slow traffic. It also seems like a very boring city. I hope Augusta can improve in the next 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 PM

937 posts, read 1,801,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Hi, I'm from Atlanta and decided to take a small day trip to Augusta to see what it's like. I noticed as I was in the Augusta area, people drive incredibly slow...I mean like, left lane, people going at 45 miles per hour....like in Atlanta, usually the left lanes drive at 10 mph over the speed limit, but here, it was EVERYONE who was driving slow, although the speed limit on the 520 was 55 mph.

Also, I was incredibly underwhelmed by the downtown area...was expecting something more of like Savannah or even a larger Athens, but it was worse then these 2 cities. The main street of Broad just...I don't know...it wasn't great and I can see why people never go to Augusta from Atlanta or any other city. Likely, my one and only trip to the city as I saw nothing unique or special about it...like a 10x-20x smaller Atlanta with nothing but strip malls and a incredibly subpar downtown area and slow traffic. It also seems like a very boring city. I hope Augusta can improve in the next 10 years.
lol

Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
lol
I don't know if you think I'm joking or something...but that's honestly what I thought about Augusta...like the question is....what is this city about?

Savannah, a metro area smaller then Augusta has an AMAZING downtown area...historic character, and near the coast.

Atlanta, well, that speaks for itself.

Athens has a decent downtown area and is a college town.

Only thing I knew about Augusta before taking this trip is the Master's tournament and golfing.

Downtown Augusta makes Downtown/Midtown Atlanta seem like Manhattan.

What tourism is there in this city? What makes someone want to say, "Hey, i want to go visit Augusta?" because honestly, there seems to be nothing.

I would love to go back to Savannah again...same can't be said about your city.

That's something this city needs to focus on.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:52 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Quote:

Wow..... well being from Augusta and spending a ton of time in Atlanta, heading back to Augusta can be a down grading feeling, but downtown Augusta is making a come back though. I always envisioned downtown especially around the medical district as a place loaded with tons of white coats walking around, a massive medical research campus, and tons medical establishments, the medical district after all is the hub of the area. Also the police in Richmond County are always posted looking for speeders. And from a population stand point Atlanta is 10 times larger than the Augusta MSA. Augusta overall is not that bad. It is and will be more of a research, energy, and golf city than any thing else.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:

Hmm?? The comments bringing up Athens and Savannah remind me of another poster... It's odd how all of a sudden when I bumped up the 'downtown & inner city' thread... This thread was created only 9 minutes later after my comments. It also odd that somebody would respond to the 'lol' comment with a long rant..

If you can tell Augusta is boring from driving around, then what the heck is Athens considered especially outside of football season. GQ Magazine found something unique in downtown Augusta.
Downtown Augusta restaurant mentioned in GQ | The Augusta Chronicle

Nothing unique? Did you see the riverwalk, artist row, augusta canal, imperial, etc?

Is the comment in bold a joke? What city do you think comes in third after Atlanta & Savannah?

Last edited by nortonguy; 10-12-2012 at 07:05 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Hmm?? The comments bringing up Athens and Savannah remind me of another poster... It's odd how all of a sudden when I bumped up the 'downtown & inner city' thread... This thread was created only 9 minutes later after my comments. It also odd that somebody would respond to the 'lol' comment with a long rant..

Nothing unique? Did you see the riverwalk, artist row, augusta canal, imperial, etc?

Is the comment in bold a joke? What city do you think comes in third after Atlanta & Savannah?
Athens. I just said it in my second comment and no, I don't find anything unique about artist row, riverwalk, or the Augusta Canal.

And no, I did visit Augusta today and it has nothing to do with your downtown and inner city thread. I'm just being honest. I didn't find ti up to my standards...I didn't expect Atlanta, but I did expect something more similar to Savannah.

This is the first time I've been in this forum...I'm always in the Atlanta forum.

Very small and underwhelming downtown core and the rest of the city is just mass suburbia with normal looking houses....no special residential structures like Savannah.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Athens. I just said it in my second comment and no, I don't find anything unique about artist row, riverwalk, or the Augusta Canal.

And no, I did visit Augusta today and it has nothing to do with your downtown and inner city thread. I'm just being honest. I didn't find ti up to my standards...I didn't expect Atlanta, but I did expect something more similar to Savannah.

This is the first time I've been in this forum...I'm always in the Atlanta forum.

Very small and underwhelming downtown core and the rest of the city is just mass suburbia with normal looking houses....no special residential structures like Savannah.
I think people could take you serious if not for the couple of ridiculous statements.. The comment in bold is even worse than saying nobody visits Augusta.

Okay, it's just a coincidence you made the thread only 9 minutes later after I bumped up the other thread...

You really expect me to think you saw the riverwalk, augusta canal, etc from driving in your car... If you really went to downtown Augusta today, did you notice anything going on?

The residences below look pretty special too me..

Olde Town
Augusta ga Olde Town Broad and 4th - Google Maps

Summerville
Augusta ga Summerville Walton Way & Milledge - Google Maps

Forest Hills
Augusta ga Forest Hills Lake Forest Drive at Bransford - Google Maps

Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 PM

196 posts, read 231,598 times
I would agree with the slow drivers in Augusta comment. Some drive slow, most don't use turn signals, most don't know what a yield sign means, really, most cannot drive properly.

Savannah is a great city and was my favorite in GA. Augusta is nothing special and if not for the Masters Tourney and the Military, would not even be half of what it is right now.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzy View Post
I would agree with the slow drivers in Augusta comment. Some drive slow, most don't use turn signals, most don't know what a yield sign means, really, most cannot drive properly.

Savannah is a great city and was my favorite in GA. Augusta is nothing special and if not for the Masters Tourney and the Military, would not even be half of what it is right now.
I'm sure this comment is a coincidence too...

Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Don't you people know not to say anything critical of Augusta unless you want your head served up on a silver platter?! It's the "fastest rising city in the South!" LOL!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area