Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,160,738 times

Advertisements

Metro Augusta ranks second in high-tech job growth

Metro Augusta ranks second in high-tech job growth | The Augusta Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,092,320 times
I've been saying the future economy of Augusta is clearly high tech. The technology facility, Starbucks, NSA, Bridgestone, Rockwood, & Cancer Center will help speed up things even more.

The GGHF site is 17 acres so that's going to become a small high tech community downtown.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I've been saying the future economy of Augusta is clearly high tech. The technology facility, Starbucks, NSA, Bridgestone, Rockwood, & Cancer Center will help speed up things even more.

The GGHF site is 17 acres so that's going to become a small high tech community downtown.
What is high tech about Starbucks?! And Bridgestone for that matter?!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What is high tech about Starbucks?! And Bridgestone for that matter?!
The future jobs associate with the two plants under construction(i.e engineering)....

Everything about the new Starbucks plant is high tech.. They've purchased 100 acres in order to expand in the future, and it's the first soluble facility in the US... The Starbucks plant won the 2012 'Deal of the Year' in Georgia, because the salaries are 30% higher than the average salary in Augusta.

Georgia Trend
Starbucks landed in Augusta/Richmond County, bringing jobs with salaries about 30 percent higher than the average pay there.

Starbucks Georgia Factory Jolts U.S. Manufacturing
The plant will be Starbucks' fifth in the U.S. While most American manufacturers are now located overseas, Starbucks and a handful of companies are bucking the trend and rediscovering old industrial towns like Augusta, where they say skilled, high-tech labor is easier to find than it is in foreign countries. The 140 jobs -- 75 percent of which will be maintenance and engineering technicians -- will pay well and require advanced skills, according to Gibbons.

"These isn't your grandfather's factory with thousands of people in it," said Gibbons. "It's not manual labor. People have to learn a lot about the processes."

Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,385,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
The future jobs associate with the two plants under construction(i.e engineering)....

Everything about the new Starbucks plant is high tech.. They've purchased 100 acres in order to expand in the future, and it's the first soluble facility in the US... The Starbucks plant won the 2012 'Deal of the Year' in Georgia, because the salaries are 30% higher than the average salary in Augusta.

Georgia Trend
Starbucks landed in Augusta/Richmond County, bringing jobs with salaries about 30 percent higher than the average pay there.

Starbucks Georgia Factory Jolts U.S. Manufacturing
The plant will be Starbucks' fifth in the U.S. While most American manufacturers are now located overseas, Starbucks and a handful of companies are bucking the trend and rediscovering old industrial towns like Augusta, where they say skilled, high-tech labor is easier to find than it is in foreign countries. The 140 jobs -- 75 percent of which will be maintenance and engineering technicians -- will pay well and require advanced skills, according to Gibbons.

"These isn't your grandfather's factory with thousands of people in it," said Gibbons. "It's not manual labor. People have to learn a lot about the processes."
Google any Starbucks plants all of there plants is high tech most of every thing is robotic. It not the same as going through a drive through line to order a coffee.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
OK I was just asking, you don't think of grinding coffee beans as "high tech."

Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Pretty much all manufacturing today has a significant high-tech component to it. But since this study only looked at high-tech growth up until 2011, none of the more recent developments--Starbucks, Bridgestone, NSA, etc.--counts for Augusta. Maybe jobs created at GHSU, SRS, etc. are what gave Augusta its boost from 2006-2011 (the category in which it ranked 2nd nationwide)?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Pretty much all manufacturing today has a significant high-tech component to it. But since this study only looked at high-tech growth up until 2011, none of the more recent developments--Starbucks, Bridgestone, NSA, etc.--counts for Augusta. Maybe jobs created at GHSU, SRS, etc. are what gave Augusta its boost from 2006-2011 (the category in which it ranked 2nd nationwide)?
True, I was more or less talking about the number of future jobs in the sector. All of the one's you've mentioned above including Plant Vogtle, etc.

2006-2011 probably included SRS, Medical District, ESI, Rural Sourcing, bio tech companies, etc...

Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 PM

472 posts, read 809,208 times
I always knew Augusta was headed for a more industrial future, but I didn't expect them to take spot number two. Ironically, I first heard about this while fishing through GHSU's newsfeed. I'm glad that Augusta will join Atlanta in becoming tech-powerhouses.

Although I was a little when I heard Dr. Azziz claiming the title as a direct result of GHSU's involvement. I don't think it's the case. I'm sure GHSU had a lot to say in the title, but I don't think it was the only reason.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,385,899 times
If we can land this high tech company it will take us over the Top.

http://m.chronicle.augusta.com/news/...s-us-next-year
Apple is latching on to a trend that could see many jobs move back to the U.S., said Hal Sirkin, a partner with The Boston Consulting Group. He noted that Lenovo Group, the Chinese company that’s neck-and-neck with Hewlett-Packard Co. for the title of world’s largest PC maker, announced in October that it will start making PCs and tablets in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area