Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I used Duluth because it has a mall and arena along side a major interstate similar to what could happen in Grovetown in the future.
I get that, but what does that have to do with Raleigh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I get that, but what does that have to do with Raleigh?
I used Raleigh because its main Arena also home to NC State is located to the west of the city, and Augusta with the proper infrastructure and leadership could mirror a small version of the city.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I used Raleigh because its main Arena also home to NC State is located to the west of the city, and Augusta with the proper infrastructure and leadership could mirror a small version of the city.
PNC Arena isn't to the west of Raleigh, but rather it's in western Raleigh and is basically and on-campus arena. That's a completely different dynamic at play, and there's no large shopping center nearby. I get the Duluth comparison, but not Raleigh.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
PNC Arena isn't to the west of Raleigh, but rather it's in western Raleigh and is basically and on-campus arena. That's a completely different dynamic at play, and there's no large shopping center nearby. I get the Duluth comparison, but not Raleigh.
I was comparing Grovetown to Duluth, and Augusta to Raleigh.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I was comparing Grovetown to Duluth, and Augusta to Raleigh.
So in what way is Augusta similar to Raleigh in its makeup, as you stated? Raleigh's arena is on the western side of town very close to NC State's campus with no large shopping center in the area. What does Augusta have similar to that? And how would a new arena in Grovetown mimic that?

Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
So in what way is Augusta similar to Raleigh in its makeup, as you stated? Raleigh's arena is on the western side of town very close to NC State's campus with no large shopping center in the area. What does Augusta have similar to that? And how would a new arena in Grovetown mimic that?
Raleigh and Augusta are both average when it comes to tourism, I mean Augusta has the Masters but other than that, it like Raleigh is average in terms of tourism, I mean people move to Raleigh mostly for jobs, I have been there many times and to me it doesn't appear to be a place folks go to really have fun similar to Augusta, now my observation could be wrong. Even though downtown Augusta is centrally located in the MSA, the freeway and highway system in Augusta make it so you have to go out of the way essentially to get downtown which is similar to Raleigh I mean I-520 is about 1.50 miles away from downtown at its shortest point nearly the same as I-40 in Raleigh. If you compare a map of Raleigh to Augusta, I-520 is Augusta's I-40, I-440 beltway. To the west of Raleigh you have Cary which reminds me of Grovetown in its position to the city. Even in terms of the airports, Augusta Regional is growing very fast the same way Raleigh Durham did years ago. If you think about Gateway in Grovetown is the only real shopping spot in the area, most of the area is surrounded by trees as seen on these attachments. The thing Raleigh has that Augusta lacks is an extensive freeway system, a true research park and larger supporting cities like Durham a Chapel Hill.

The blue lines are parts of an interstate I have been working on for a few years.
https://www.facebook.com/BuildInterstate63

The area in Grovetown could work out because of its location off a major interstate near entertainment. The sprawl of Evans will someday mix with Grovetown and many new hotels will go up around the area. Also another big factor is the amount of undeveloped land around I-20 in Grovetown. As I have previously stated once it attracts a mall or lifestyle center development with possibly an arena, hotels will come along with more conventions and with all that prime land off the interstate I don't see why companies would not be attracted. Once again this is just my take on the topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Next hotspot in the Augusta MSA-8.png   Next hotspot in the Augusta MSA-9.png   Next hotspot in the Augusta MSA-raleigh.png   Next hotspot in the Augusta MSA-augusta.png  

Old 06-22-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Raleigh and Augusta are both average when it comes to tourism, I mean Augusta has the Masters but other than that, it like Raleigh is average in terms of tourism, I mean people move to Raleigh mostly for jobs, I have been there many times and to me it doesn't appear to be a place folks go to really have fun similar to Augusta, now my observation could be wrong. Even though downtown Augusta is centrally located in the MSA, the freeway and highway system in Augusta make it so you have to go out of the way essentially to get downtown which is similar to Raleigh I mean I-520 is about 1.50 miles away from downtown at its shortest point nearly the same as I-40 in Raleigh. If you compare a map of Raleigh to Augusta, I-520 is Augusta's I-40, I-440 beltway. To the west of Raleigh you have Cary which reminds me of Grovetown in its position to the city. Even in terms of the airports, Augusta Regional is growing very fast the same way Raleigh Durham did years ago. If you think about Gateway in Grovetown is the only real shopping spot in the area, most of the area is surrounded by trees as seen on these attachments. The thing Raleigh has that Augusta lacks is an extensive freeway system, a true research park and larger supporting cities like Durham a Chapel Hill.

The blue lines are parts of an interstate I have been working on for a few years.
https://www.facebook.com/BuildInterstate63

The area in Grovetown could work out because of its location off a major interstate near entertainment. The sprawl of Evans will someday mix with Grovetown and many new hotels will go up around the area. Also another big factor is the amount of undeveloped land around I-20 in Grovetown. As I have previously stated once it attracts a mall or lifestyle center development with possibly an arena, hotels will come along with more conventions and with all that prime land off the interstate I don't see why companies would not be attracted. Once again this is just my take on the topic.
I was only asking about a comparison between the two in terms of where PNC Arena is located in Raleigh and where a future arena in the Augusta area might be located (Grovetown). I'm not seeing many similarities between the two as far as this goes.

Furthermore, Augusta shouldn't WANT its newest and most state-of-the-art arena in a suburb; it should be in or near downtown. The Arena at Gwinnett is a secondary venue in metro Atlanta, and PNC Arena is essentially on NC State's campus which is why it isn't downtown.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:11 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,197 times
Quote:
I was only asking about a comparison between the two in terms of where PNC Arena is located in Raleigh and where a future arena in the Augusta area might be located (Grovetown). I'm not seeing many similarities between the two as far as this goes.

Furthermore, Augusta shouldn't WANT its newest and most state-of-the-art arena in a suburb; it should be in or near downtown. The Arena at Gwinnett is a secondary venue in metro Atlanta, and PNC Arena is essentially on NC State's campus which is why it isn't downtown.
I agree with the first part but not the second. Columbia county can support its own small arena and if they build it in Grovetown so be it. Augusta's new arena doesn't have to be in or near downtown. WTP would be just fine. It would have I-20 and I-520 access and there's already retail/dining in that area. The more I think about it, there's no point in demolishing JBA nor spending more money to improve it, even though they are spending money on that thing. I really wouldn't want a new arena next to railroad tracks and so far away from the main strip. Augusta's leaders are going to have to pitch a plan to the people to demolish a section of downtown away from the railroad and near the main strip for a new arena.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:11 PM

124 posts, read 241,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
I agree with the first part but not the second. Columbia county can support its own small arena and if they build it in Grovetown so be it. Augusta's new arena doesn't have to be in or near downtown. WTP would be just fine. It would have I-20 and I-520 access and there's already retail/dining in that area. The more I think about it, there's no point in demolishing JBA nor spending more money to improve it, even though they are spending money on that thing. I really wouldn't want a new arena next to railroad tracks and so far away from the main strip. Augusta's leaders are going to have to pitch a plan to the people to demolish a section of downtown away from the railroad and near the main strip for a new arena.
Personally, I believe that building a new arena outside of downtown would be devastating to downtown, IMO.

That said, I believe that the perfect spot for a new arena downtown would be on Reynolds St. between 8th and 9th streets, and here's why:

1. Prime location allows for connectivity to Convention Center and downtown's 'main' hotel, the Marriott.
2. Ample public parking provided by the 2 city owned parking garages at the Convention Center and at Ft. Discovery.
3. Ability to incorporate greenspace/public parks as location is on the Riverwalk and across Reynolds St from the Common.
4. Ease of access, centrally located on Reynolds at the midpoint between 13th street and US1/Gordon Hwy. For further ease of access, Reynolds could be easily adapted to have 'reversible lanes' allowing for an increase in lanes to/from the arena to assist with traffic flow.

The connectivity to the Convention Center and the Marriott would be the most beneficial IMO, the entire complex could be operated and marketed as 1 venue: 40,000 sq. ft. of convention space connected to a 12,000 seat arena, a full service hotel, and a multi-story car park; all located a block from the heart of Broad St downtown.

Tell me that's not a 5 star sales pitch right there!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803Swimmer View Post
Personally, I believe that building a new arena outside of downtown would be devastating to downtown, IMO.

That said, I believe that the perfect spot for a new arena downtown would be on Reynolds St. between 8th and 9th streets, and here's why:

1. Prime location allows for connectivity to Convention Center and downtown's 'main' hotel, the Marriott.
2. Ample public parking provided by the 2 city owned parking garages at the Convention Center and at Ft. Discovery.
3. Ability to incorporate greenspace/public parks as location is on the Riverwalk and across Reynolds St from the Common.
4. Ease of access, centrally located on Reynolds at the midpoint between 13th street and US1/Gordon Hwy. For further ease of access, Reynolds could be easily adapted to have 'reversible lanes' allowing for an increase in lanes to/from the arena to assist with traffic flow.

The connectivity to the Convention Center and the Marriott would be the most beneficial IMO, the entire complex could be operated and marketed as 1 venue: 40,000 sq. ft. of convention space connected to a 12,000 seat arena, a full service hotel, and a multi-story car park; all located a block from the heart of Broad St downtown.

Tell me that's not a 5 star sales pitch right there!
I agree with your assessment, however the main reason downtown will continue to struggle is the lack of connectivity. We have Riverwatch and Gordon Hwy and a host of side streets but unless you want to come downtown you don't have to do so to get to anywhere in the CSRA because of I-520. Even if you build a world class venue it will be underutilized and end up the same way the JBA is now. If the venue was off the interstate it could be more easily accessible and closer to the bulk of the patrons that will use it. I mean you could easily build a lake in front of it and it would truly be a gem, but we never know until it's built or more improved infrastructure comes to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area