U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM

71 posts, read 210,558 times

Advertisements

Is this the only mall in all of Augusta? Are there any lifestyle malls? As a Caucasian would I be a minority in the mall? If you went to the mall on a Saturday afternoon what % is Caucasian/Asian/AfricanAmerican/Other? Is it a safe area? My family is not too big on mall shopping but I'm sure we would end up there a couple times a month. I read a post where a woman said she had to look over her shoulder fearing for herself and daughter and another about a car jacking, robbery and mall fights. This scares me and I feel perfectly safe walking in downtown Detroit at night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 12:29 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,366 posts, read 13,014,235 times
Violent crime is definitely NOT common in the area of the mall. The crime rate of Augusta is lower compared to the majority of peer cities anyway.

This is the only enclosed mall in the area with several retailers/restaurants with locations only in metro Atlanta or Augusta(Apple, Pandora, Sephora, PF Changs, etc). The Augusta mall is very nice, and it's the most upscale mall outside of metro Atlanta in the state. People from all different races shop at the mall, and the mall includes a outdoor lifestyle section attached to the mall... H&M is opening their first location in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta in the Augusta mall. The Augusta location is also the first to be announced in South Carolina(Augusta metro extends to SC) along with Charleston.

Read a post where? People can say random things all over the internet, and not have to explain anything. The most common crime at the mall is shoplifting..

Last edited by nortonguy; 08-01-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 PM

71 posts, read 97,566 times
There's absolutely nothing wrong with shopping there. Don't let people fool with their silly exaggerations.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:58 PM

2,154 posts, read 2,763,211 times
Man this a joke, who make a post like that but one somebody. Laughable

Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 AM

34,782 posts, read 32,198,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
H&M is opening their first location in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta in the Augusta mall. The Augusta location is also the first to be announced in South Carolina(Augusta metro extends to SC) along with Charleston.
The H&M at Carolina Place Mall in the Charlotte suburb of Pineville, NC (only about 3 miles from the SC state line) will be opening this fall: H&M to open Carolina Place store | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 08-02-2013, 03:42 PM

51 posts, read 203,185 times
Augusta Mall is generally safe, but there have been some isolated issues there in the past. I personally have never had any problems, but I do feel there are some sketchy people hanging out the later it gets.

As far as racial breakdown goes, I think Richmond County is roughly 55% black and 40% white, so the mall probably reflects that. However, many shoppers come from nearby Columbia County, so the mix could be more like 50/50 during high volume times.

And not to be disrespectful to you, but I don't know how you could feel safe in downtown Detriot when "40% of the streetlights do not work, 66% of the ambulances are out of service", and "citizens wait an average of 58 minutes for the police to respond to their calls". -Detroit’s Bankruptcy: 40% of Street Lights Don’t Work, 66% of Ambulances Out of Service - MoneyBeat - WSJ

Old 08-02-2013, 06:38 PM
PJA

2,416 posts, read 2,674,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoeCraw View Post
Augusta Mall is generally safe, but there have been some isolated issues there in the past. I personally have never had any problems, but I do feel there are some sketchy people hanging out the later it gets.

As far as racial breakdown goes, I think Richmond County is roughly 55% black and 40% white, so the mall probably reflects that. However, many shoppers come from nearby Columbia County, so the mix could be more like 50/50 during high volume times.

And not to be disrespectful to you, but I don't know how you could feel safe in downtown Detriot when "40% of the streetlights do not work, 66% of the ambulances are out of service", and "citizens wait an average of 58 minutes for the police to respond to their calls". -Detroit’s Bankruptcy: 40% of Street Lights Don’t Work, 66% of Ambulances Out of Service - MoneyBeat - WSJ

I just assumed this person was just trying a subtle attempt to bash the Augusta Mall. I could be wrong though.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 PM

71 posts, read 210,558 times
Quote:
That seems to happen at most malls so I guess that won't bother me too much.

Quote:
Thank you for answering this question! My husband said no one will answer it because it sounds like I'm racist or something. I went to Beijing when I was in college and everyone stared at me (either because I was 5' 10" or because I was white). That is a very uncomfortable feeling for me because I like to blend into a crowd. If the mall was 90% African American or Asian, I would feel out of place.

Quote:
I won't get into this much, but Detroit is fantastic. Not all of it obviously, as there are many abandoned homes and lots. During daylight hours I would go anywhere. At night I feel completely safe walking a 1/3 of the city or driving in about 75%. I guarantee Detroit's food scene rivals Dallas or Austins and more people should check it out.

As for Augusta, I am very excited and can't wait to check it out! It seems like it has a ton of new growth and is a great place to raise a family.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM

77 posts, read 140,122 times
The only thing you have to worry about at the mall is late at night when the mall is closed, some idiots like to drive their pickup truck through the mall. Lol. The mall is pretty safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area