Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is best to live in?
Augusta 9 28.13%
Savannah 23 71.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:57 PM

21 posts, read 73,126 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from Chicago to Augusta or Savannah. I would like to know which city would be a better place to live in size, population, retail stores, new development, housing,schools, entertainment, dining,....etc. I would also like to know which city is growing the most because I don't want to live in a city that isn't growing. I love to shop and my husband loves to hunt, so i asked a friend about the shopping in both cities and found that a cabela's,bass pro shops,H&M,Apple, Costco, Earth Fare, Jared Galleria, Pandora, Sephora, and other national retailers had or were building stores in augusta...while i was told Savannah had none of these. I was also told that Savannah has two malls,but augusta mall was more upscale and had more to offer than both. Is this true? Which city is safer and feels more like a large city? Which city has more going for it overall? Thanks in advance for answering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 PM

376 posts, read 723,512 times
The Augusta Mall is "upscale" with a Goodyear Auto Service Center, a Foot Locker, and a Chick-Fil-A. LOL

I would say the two are pretty even, Savannah being more 'historic' and Augusta might be slightly more modern. Cost of living probably lot higher in Savannah though.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,083,636 times
@nature's message. It does sound like it. I guess for some, a city is best when it looks "larger" (more vehicular traffic and highway interchanges) or has lots of national "redneck retailers" (beer and ale joints, chicken wings by the bucket, and casual ware).

The three Georgia fall-line cities -- Columbus, Macon, Augusta -- are very much alike. Savannah is a totally different kind of city. If some thug took you blindfolded to Columbus, Macon, or Augusta, then tore off your blindfolds and screamed: "Open your eyes, fool! Where are you?," you wouldn't have a clue which of those three you were in. Not unless you saw a newspaper box ("Augusta Chronicle--Take One") or read some billboard ("Macon's Best Catfish Is HERE!" or "Miss Columbus Pageant, June 16-20"). Savannah you'd know immediately. It's in its own category; Georgia's 3 fall-line cities are in another category. Just as in South Carolina: Charleston is in a unique category among the larger SC metros. And much like Charleston, Savannah is not out to impress you because it doesn't have to. You'll be impressed.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@nature's message. It does sound like it. I guess for some, a city is best when it looks "larger" (more vehicular traffic and highway interchanges) or has lots of national "redneck retailers" (beer and ale joints, chicken wings by the bucket, and casual ware).

The three Georgia fall-line cities -- Columbus, Macon, Augusta -- are very much alike. Savannah is a totally different kind of city. If some thug took you blindfolded to Columbus, Macon, or Augusta, then tore off your blindfolds and screamed: "Open your eyes, fool! Where are you?," you wouldn't have a clue which of those three you were in. Not unless you saw a newspaper box ("Augusta Chronicle--Take One") or read some billboard ("Macon's Best Catfish Is HERE!" or "Miss Columbus Pageant, June 16-20"). Savannah you'd know immediately. It's in its own category; Georgia's 3 fall-line cities are in another category. Just as in South Carolina: Charleston is in a unique category among the larger SC metros. And much like Charleston, Savannah is not out to impress you because it doesn't have to. You'll be impressed anyway.
I don't agree with you regarding SC cities, I think Columbia and Greenville are equal to Charleston. Charleston is near the coast and has some history and a cool bridge over the harbor but it isn't more "impressive" than the other two main cities.

I think your point holds on the Georgia cities.

I can see Augusta being more middle class than Savannah, which is probably more rich people and more poor people but is only an impression. I don't ever see many jobs in Savannah.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:12 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,901,081 times
Very true statements from all, but what really separates the fall line cities and Savannah has more to do with the individual X factors, for Columbus you have the presence of Fort Benning and a pretty large corporate base, for Augusta it's Fort Gordon, GRU and the Masters, for Macon it's all about location and proximity to Atlanta which is the same for Athens and UGA. Savannah truly is unique in respects to Georgia, the city however matches up better with cities such as Charleston and New Orleans rather Augusta, Columbus or Macon. How our economy shifts in the next few years will determine which 2nd tier city will truly stand out.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 PM

Most people will never even drive by Macon or Columbus, just not on the way anywhere, especially Columbus. I would put Augusta ahead of those two, just not as isolated and more people are aware of it with the Masters than the other two.

Coastal cities are always going to get more tourists, and Savannah has been featured in dozens of movies so it has a certain mystique to it that the others could never have.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 PM

934 posts, read 1,339,411 times
Its apples and oranges. Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans are more comparable, Southern coastal tourist cities. Augusta should be compared to Columbia, Greenville, Columbus, Montgomery or Chat-Town. Augusta has a larger GDP by a wide margin versus the rest of the second tier cities in GA but Savannah by all accounts is on the upswing in regards to it's economy.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:50 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,505,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
I don't agree with you regarding SC cities, I think Columbia and Greenville are equal to Charleston. Charleston is near the coast and has some history and a cool bridge over the harbor but it isn't more "impressive" than the other two main cities.
I see where he's coming from with regard to Charleston being unique among SC's cities. Columbia and Greenville are in the same category with respect to size, but Charleston is definitely the most renowned, visited, historic, touristy, etc. among them all and I'd say most visitors would definitely find Charleston the most impressive among the three.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:52 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,787,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
Most people will never even drive by Macon or Columbus, just not on the way anywhere, especially Columbus. I would put Augusta ahead of those two, just not as isolated and more people are aware of it with the Masters than the other two.

Coastal cities are always going to get more tourists, and Savannah has been featured in dozens of movies so it has a certain mystique to it that the others could never have.
You do realize that Macon is on I-75 -- one of the busiest interstate highways in the nation -- and MILLIONS of people drive directly through Macon every year on their way to and from Florida?!

Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You do realize that Macon is on I-75 -- one of the busiest interstate highways in the nation -- and MILLIONS of people drive directly through Macon every year on their way to and from Florida?!

I forgot 75 ran down to Macon area before spliting off down to head south to Florida. I was thinking people would only use the intersate thru the Macon area to access Savannah and the Georgia coastal areas.

But my point still holds to a degree, only people who are aware of it are people who drive down to Florida from Atlanta or points north of Atlanta where it makes sense to go thru Atlanta (I hate having to go thru Atlanta on road trips myself LOL) .

Most the east coast state people where most of our country's population lives are using 95 to go to Florida. I think more Americans would not be familiar with Macon than most other cities in the Southeast. Columbus and maybe Montgomery are probably the two worse in that regard though.

It looks on Google Maps like the interstate 475 bypasses Macon by a good bit, with Eisenhower Parkway really being the only exit travelers would use to stop for gas/food/bathroom break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area