Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:05 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge fan of the mayor, because the city looks much different compared to the year 2005.. The mayor personally flew to New Jersey to meet with the ADP officials and ADP invested $40 million(1,000 jobs) into Augusta.. The ARC Project, demolishing of the Gilbert Manor projects(dental school, medical commons), fundraising for the Kroc Center complex, and many other progressive ideas... Many companies have brought high paying private sector jobs to Augusta in the last few years(ADP, ESI, Zapata Technologies, Southpoint Media, Starbucks, Rockwood, Augusta Renewable Energy, Palmetto Propane, etc)..

Augusta trailed only Idaho’s Boise City-Nampa metro area for growth in high-tech employment between 2006 and 2011, with an increase of 81.9 percent, according to the study. Metro Augusta ranked 12th nationwide in high-tech job growth from 2010-11.
Metro Augusta ranks second in high-tech job growth | The Augusta Chronicle

Augusta has state's second-fastest growing tech field | The Augusta Chronicle

Augusta-Richmond County MSA In "Cities Winning the Battle For In - WJBF-TV ABC 6 Augusta-Aiken News, Weather, Sports

The city of Augusta has jumped ahead of larger cities in terms of shopping in the last few years... The 200k SQ. FT. Augusta mall Promenade, Costco, Cabelas, $150 million outlet mall, movie theater with the enclosed restaurant, $40 million Washington Crossing, etc..

There's more construction along Broad street than in decades... The Holiday Inn Express
Craft & Vine, Farmhaus Burgers, O'Donovans Irish Pub, Whiskey Bar Kitchen, Boars Head Public House, Augusta Lung Associates, Sprint Foods, new residential(1246 Broad, 1204 Broad, 920 Greene street, 834 Greene, 1120 Jones, etc).. 901 Broad(nine apartments and 4,300 square feet of commercial space), 905 Broad(restaurant/meeting space), 1033 Broad, 1162 Broad, etc...

When is the last time Broad street had construction along every block?
1. Sprint Food Metro Market... The 2nd floor will consist of the Sprint offices and the 1st floor will be the metro market(includes indoor seating and covered outdoor seating next to the Augusta Common)..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/221303...n/photostream/

2. New apartments underway in Artist Row...

3. Lower Broad street renovation...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22130348@N06/14081586008/

4. Commerce building(different from the former of Chamber of Commerce building renovation in the middle of broad)renovation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:08 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Deke probably has associates/family members that own land all over the city.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 AM

568 posts, read 698,385 times
Wow... a study presented by a non-profit organization whose viabliblty hinges on the "perception" of economic development in the Augusta area. That seems objective....

Was I mistaken that there is an Augusta outside of the CBD? Also, isn't the 0105 post by the OP off topic?

TTFN

Old 06-07-2014, 09:11 AM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times
pj,

I'm sure Deke knows people that own land all over Augusta, he's the mayor, his family is also practically Augusta royalty as his daddy was even a member of the Augusta National… but if he does have family members or close friends that would greatly benefit from the development of the Mills project, wouldn't that be the slightest bit of a conflict of interest? Would that not be remotely interesting to you?

Depending on when the property was transferred or bought, it could be very interesting.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
pj,

I'm sure Deke knows people that own land all over Augusta, he's the mayor, his family is also practically Augusta royalty as his daddy was even a member of the Augusta National… but if he does have family members or close friends that would greatly benefit from the development of the Mills project, wouldn't that be the slightest bit of a conflict of interest? Would that not be remotely interesting to you?

Depending on when the property was transferred or bought, it could be very interesting.
I think that if every project Deke was involved in benefited him or those close to him then that would raise red flags or even if the mills were in another part of town but they are downtown and its not unusual to have redevelopment projects in the urban center of the city so it really doesn't raise a red flag for me although I do see your concern.

Old 06-08-2014, 01:15 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,274 times
FYI, none of those Flickr photo links work. Probably because they were just copied and pasted from another thread (hence the ...'s in them). Lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:20 PM

614 posts, read 1,100,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
And for the record… I was a Deke fan. I had a good conversation with him one day at the Marble Palace when the elevator door opened, he walked in and we proceeded to talk out the front door and into the parking lot for a good many minutes… He's a nice guy, I just think over time he has become less and less effective.

We need that truly transformational tipping point, he may get us a little here and a little there… but I just don't see him being the one to get Augusta to that point where there is absolutely no question to anyone that Augusta has taken the next jump. No debate. None.

True to form… we've seen a plant here, a TEE Center (IMO over-priced and under-impressive for the money spent) around the corner, a Costco there, Cabela's over yonder and a yet to be built Outlet Mall to name a few things. But, where's the large corporations bringing high paying private sector jobs here? Where is the announcement of a massive car manufacturing facility deciding to locate at the spacious business park south of town and in so doing bringing thousands of private sector jobs? Where are all the businesses to fill the empty store fronts on Broad Street that I ride by every day on my way to work in the CBD?

Augusta is too dependent on government for jobs and it's only going to increase its dependence with the Cyber Command coming… which can be a good thing, but it can also be really… really… bad.Considering the U.S. economy just shrank at a negative clip in the first quarter, hold your breath because the economy has a ways to go yet before anyone should feel confident.

Not trying to go off topic on your thread Nort, sorry in advance.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head for me and stated the reason why I left Augusta.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
Pretty much hit the nail on the head for me and stated the reason why I left Augusta.
Not true n I don't agree

Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,386,175 times
Mayor Copenhaver still fighting for King and Sibley Mills

Old 06-10-2014, 04:19 AM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlovingit View Post
Not true n I don't agree
What's not true about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area