U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 PM

71 posts, read 216,884 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to relocate from Nashville and are looking in the Augusta area - specifically around Evans and Martinez - and Appling came up in some of our searches. We found quite a few appealing homes that we'd be very interested in looking at, but some further research on many of them left us with more questions than answers.

The area is appealing because the houses are on nice, treed lots, not right on top of your neighbor but still close enough to not be isolated. It's located relatively near the shopping and restaurants that we'd be using. The thing that threw us for a loop is that there are many, many homes for sale and a huge chunk of those homes have been for sale, in some cases, for years and years. Moreover, the prices the homes are listed at sometimes have HUGE decreases in price over time, like $150,000 or more.

I thought Evans was supposed to be an upscale area - is this not the case? Are people fleeing from the area and getting into a situation where they are unable to sell their homes? What's the deal?

I want to spend up to $600k on a house - what area in the Augusta area would I look in if I wanted a nice brick (maybe some stone) home on a slightly larger lot where I'm not sitting on top of my neighbor that's near to upscale shopping and dining? We don't eat at the usual chains like Applebee's, Olive Garden, Outback, Red Lobster, et al. We certainly don't eat any fast food (with the exception of Chipotle).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 PM

322 posts, read 531,148 times
Try the Walton Way area. It's generally in your price range and has lots of nearby restaurants.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 AM

77 posts, read 145,339 times
in richmond county, I agree with the above poster, the walton way, forest hills area, and summerville area

in columbia county (evans,martinez), for your price range and hopes of reselling, you probably want to stick with jones creek, westlake or some of the neighborhoods around there; riverwood plantation might be appealing as well

there are large acred lots (3-10 acres) with houses along william few pkwy if you want more privacy

Last edited by footdock; 10-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-07-2013, 03:30 PM

100 posts, read 394,423 times
Appling is and still pretty much rural. If you are looking for an upscale development consider Graystone (Appling) or the areas of Evans near Fury's Ferry, Stevens Creek Rd. (Sumter Landing, River Island) These homes offer the space and are not so "on top" of each other like in some of the other developments.

Laura
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>