Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:28 AM
PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,155,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
I think it will be a long while before we see much, if any, development at the 3 I-520 interchanges that touch other highways in SC. Traffic on 520 needs to pick up a lot before we see that. If coming from the GA side, the traffic drops drastically once you cross Jefferson Davis Highway. Doesn't help that those exits aren't in the most attractive areas as far as income and new development go.
I think that will happen once more residential development occurs out that way. That portion of 520 wasn't thought out correctly as it really does nothing to relieve traffic. It does make it getting to that part of North Augusta from Augusta more convenient though but I can't imagine it gets a lot of local use from the North Augusta residents. Maybe they were planning for future growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM

119 posts, read 203,420 times
Source was BK store mgr, maybe should have posted under rumored I'll check it out next time I'm over that way to confirm.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,400,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingMat View Post
Source was BK store mgr, maybe should have posted under rumored I'll check it out next time I'm over that way to confirm.
If BK is talking about across the frontage road from them, that's the same spot I was just talking about that was slated for the Park and Ride lot as of this time last year. I'd much rather a Cracker Barrel as I never see those Park and Ride lots getting much use at all...and I really don't think one is warranted in this area in the first place.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I think that will happen once more residential development occurs out that way. That portion of 520 wasn't thought out correctly as it really does nothing to relieve traffic. It does make it getting to that part of North Augusta from Augusta more convenient though but I can't imagine it gets a lot of local use from the North Augusta residents. Maybe they were planning for future growth.
I know quite a few folks who live north of I-20 at exit 5 that use 520 to get to work at SRS, Fort Gordon, P&G, etc. I think that's the majority of people who use it. I don't think it's done anything to alleviate traffic between the two places it connects to I-20. It's more of a connector than it is a bypass. If the powers that be over construction on 520 on the GA side don't get their crap together, it never will be a proper bypass. It's been such a bottleneck over there from Peach Orchard to Gordon/Wheeler for so many years now that it's not even an option for anybody on a schedule.

I still don't see development at exit 5 doing anything for the interchanges on 520 in SC. The last exits on 520 are in kind of a no man's land trapped in by older neighborhoods. Would have to be lots of property acquisition to do much there for access to any development. Could get into there from 25 where there's a good chunk of land for sale next to Quickie Jack's, but that's a pretty rundown area right there that I don't think would woo developers. I am a bit curious, though, as to why they left that Hwy 25 connector at the last exit open-ended to the east as if they'll continue that road at some point...not really sure where it would ever go.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
If BK is talking about across the frontage road from them, that's the same spot I was just talking about that was slated for the Park and Ride lot as of this time last year. I'd much rather a Cracker Barrel as I never see those Park and Ride lots getting much use at all...and I really don't think one is warranted in this area in the first place.
That's what she stated, cracker barrel was going behind them, and Depot was going across the interstate. I'm kinda taking this person word because she was formerly at the hwy 25 location in South Augusta and spilled the beans about Chick fila months before any announcements were made.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM

Palmetto 520 used by more than residents of Aiken county there a lots of Columbia county residents who use it to get to SRS, Beech Island and East Augusta plants to avoid the construction and traffic. It's actually shorter and quicker from exits 199/200 to Sandbar/Laney Walker exit going thru Carolina

Old 04-02-2014, 01:59 PM
PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,155,456 times
Quote:
I know quite a few folks who live north of I-20 at exit 5 that use 520 to get to work at SRS, Fort Gordon, P&G, etc. I think that's the majority of people who use it. I don't think it's done anything to alleviate traffic between the two places it connects to I-20. It's more of a connector than it is a bypass. If the powers that be over construction on 520 on the GA side don't get their crap together, it never will be a proper bypass. It's been such a bottleneck over there from Peach Orchard to Gordon/Wheeler for so many years now that it's not even an option for anybody on a schedule.

I still don't see development at exit 5 doing anything for the interchanges on 520 in SC. The last exits on 520 are in kind of a no man's land trapped in by older neighborhoods. Would have to be lots of property acquisition to do much there for access to any development. Could get into there from 25 where there's a good chunk of land for sale next to Quickie Jack's, but that's a pretty rundown area right there that I don't think would woo developers. I am a bit curious, though, as to why they left that Hwy 25 connector at the last exit open-ended to the east as if they'll continue that road at some point...not really sure where it would ever go.
Yeah that's what I mean..its not used for local traffic hardly ever (traffic staying in North Augusta). Its used to get into or out of North Augusta but doesn't really help alleviate local North Augusta traffic.

The widening for the south augusta portion of 520 should be done within the next year hopefully so that should address concerns in that area.

I don't see any major developments happening on Belvedere-Clearwater rd exit of 520 since that rd is primarily residential. However the Aiken Augusta Hwy exit will probably see some development (besides the car dealerships) eventually since that is the major connector of Augusta and Aiken. Also I think we will eventually see development on that hwy connector 25 portion you mentioned. I too had wondered if they were going to extend that road further at some point. With it being so close to I-20 exit 5, I would imagine we will see development around that way sooner rather than later.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingMat View Post
That's what she stated, cracker barrel was going behind them, and Depot was going across the interstate. I'm kinda taking this person word because she was formerly at the hwy 25 location in South Augusta and spilled the beans about Chick fila months before any announcements were made.
I posed the question to a personal friend who is also a North Augusta City Councilman, asking him about Cracker Barrel and if that location is the Park & Ride or something else. His answer:

Quote:
Park and Ride which is being funded by SCDOT. Cracker Barrel refuses to come to NA because of locations in Aiken, Augusta, & Evans. We've tried. I've even called them to discuss coming. No luck. Hopefully that will change.
For what it's worth, I've also asked him what he knows about the possibility of a Home Depot now.

Last edited by GRU_Minion; 04-02-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 03-07-2015, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,777 times
Any updates to whats comming now or soon to exit 5

Old 03-12-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoax View Post
Any updates to whats comming now or soon to exit 5
Hearing rumors that Applebys & Lulus carwash are locating in Walmart Sweetwater plaza also a Hibachi restaurant is preparing to open also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area