U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM

119 posts, read 180,578 times

Advertisements

Currently underconstruction are the New Walmart Supercenter, Cracker Barrel and Waffle House.
Recently constructed Zaxbys, McDonalds and Bojangles.
Planned Dunkin Doughnuts replacing Bojangles inside Circle K station
Rumored are Home Depot to anchor newly planned retail center across I20 once the Waffel house relocates to the new location behind Mc D's. It seems as though this exit is becoming a hotspot since the Walmart started construction.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 PM

13,708 posts, read 19,288,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingMat View Post
Currently underconstruction are the New Walmart Supercenter, Cracker Barrel and Waffle House.
Rumored are Home Depot to anchor newly planned retail center across I20 once the Waffel house relocates to the new location behind Mc D's. It seems as though this exit is becoming a hotspot since the Walmart started construction.
Why has there not been anything at that exit before now? Since it's the main entryway to N. Augusta from I-20?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:27 PM
PJA

2,419 posts, read 2,767,265 times
Quote:

Yeah I was out that way a couple of weeks ago and it definitely has grown a lot over the past year or so. If North Augusta gets a Target it will probably be in that area

Old 04-01-2014, 02:29 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why has there not been anything at that exit before now? Since it's the main entryway to N. Augusta from I-20?

I would say that Exit 1 is actually the gateway for North Augusta from I-20.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:33 PM

13,708 posts, read 19,288,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I would say that Exit 1 is actually the gateway for North Augusta from I-20.
Well, there's even less at that exit ...

Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, there's even less at that exit ...
Since most of the residents live closer to downtown North Augusta and on the east side of town, that's where most of the development has recently happened. The major retail areas for North Augusta are downtown and the Martintown Rd/Knox Ave area. That has extended up several miles via Knox Ave which is why now you are getting development at Exit 5.

There actually isn't much development off any of the 520 exits in North Augusta as well (although 2 of them were just built within the last few years.) Just goes to show how much potential North Augusta has.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM

119 posts, read 180,578 times
There are a lot of apartments and homes currently underconstruction or planned for this area of N.Augusta and Southeastern Edgefield county the expansion of the Bergen place neighborhood and apartments along with others along sweetwater, five notch and Sudlow lake rds are probably the driving factors.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:19 PM

20,797 posts, read 23,009,904 times
US-25/SC-121 is growing quickly. Plans are in the works to widen the route to four lanes up to Trenton, then US-25 would be widened to four lanes around Edgefield onto Greenwood.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,136,893 times
Quote:
What's your source on the Cracker Barrel info? I've always heard rumors about one (mainly at exit 1 a few years ago), but have seen no announcements confirming. I know there is construction going on right between the frontage road and on ramp for I-20 there, but it was also announced at one point that a park and ride lot was going to be built at this exit. (Article: North Augusta 'park and ride' advancing this spring | The Augusta Chronicle )

This Powerpoint from the GA Association of Metro Planning Organizations shows the same location that I assume you and other people are talking about being a Cracker Barrel...and also looks similar to what I'm seeing going in there now as far as layout. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cWc&cad=rja

As for the Home Depot...there's TONS of room on that other side of the exit once Waffle House jumps across I-20. With that and the abandoned gas station out of the way, that clears land all the way to that one house across from the hotel for construction...and I would think the homeowner could be convinced to move, too. There is a neighborhood back behind them, though, that will limit them on that side. Also lots of land behind the WAHO down the interstate. Notice when they redid the exit they did leave a tail road next to the EB off ramp to turn into a frontage road one day. Wouldn't be surprised to see that fill up there. Wouldn't be out of the question for a Target in that area along with the HD and various other retail and dining that usually come along with those exit-centers. Lots of land left on the opposite side of 25 from there, too. Would require a good bit of grading with the old lake/strip mine back there....that's what it looks like it was anyway.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,136,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
There actually isn't much development off any of the 520 exits in North Augusta as well (although 2 of them were just built within the last few years.) Just goes to show how much potential North Augusta has.
I think it will be a long while before we see much, if any, development at the 3 I-520 interchanges that touch other highways in SC. Traffic on 520 needs to pick up a lot before we see that. If coming from the GA side, the traffic drops drastically once you cross Jefferson Davis Highway. Doesn't help that those exits aren't in the most attractive areas as far as income and new development go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area