Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:01 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

It's good that this company remained in the metro, but Augusta-Richmond County and the state of Georgia is losing tax revenue. This is common when it comes to metros that straddle state lines; this conversation happens all the time in metro Charlotte. Several companies have jumped the border from Mecklenburg County, NC (Charlotte) to the Fort Mill, SC area for lower taxes while still having access to their workforce and Charlotte's amenities. So this sort of move can't be construed as a 100% good thing for the city/state that's losing these jobs although it's a wash or maybe even a net positive for the entire bi-state metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
You CONSTANTLY reference these areas and other mythical ones. For someone who uses so much conjecture in their posts, you sure are quick to point out when someone else makes up a term. And can you give it a rest with the same tired replies to any comment that is remotely different than what you believe? "I'm not sure why the same few people..." and "I find it funny that..." are two of your infamous ones.

Constantly, again. You IMPLY these things constantly. But between here and the other various places where you post under different pseudonyms, it's clear that you aren't familiar with the concept of implication or the difference in reality and what people perceive to be true of a certain area.

Again, POINT IT OUT. 60,000 sq ft of NEW CONSTRUCTION, let alone that much that is bringing that many jobs. Where in downtown is there anything remotely close to that? I'm only asking you to back up your claim.

You get so defensive when you claim someone puts words in your mouth, yet I didn't say anything about construction not starting yet. I said the projects "haven't happened"...meaning they are still not operating. Your much loved and touted Sprint Foods and Metro Market that is still essentially a boarded up building, along with the ever-invisible 5 Guys in South Augusta (excuse me, or is it SouthWEST Augusta?) are two that immediately come to mind.

I'm personally rather tired of all the threads that are started with simply a link to an article to a news story. And no, I never said that was the only way you found things out. I said that you MUST spend half of your time scouring city, county and project websites to find half of this stuff out. Either tell me that's wrong or tell me you're not an employee of the city/county or closely-related group. You got AWFULLY quiet the past few weeks when your employment and possible misuse of company time for whomever you work for was called into question in the local media. I don't find that coincidental one bit.
Please show me the posts were I constantly use the terms West Richmond or East Richmond? What mythical areas do I reference?

I've already mention the new projects in downtown Augusta.. The company Rural Sourcing had 75 employees in June 2013 and hired 20 to 30 additional employees. The CEO said he could see the company having 200 to 300 employees total..
Continued growth expected in Augusta high-tech market | The Augusta Chronicle

How is the Sprint Food Metro Market essentially a boarded up building? The development opens this summer or spring...
High-end convenience store in progress on Broad Street | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 04-25-2014, 11:46 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Nort..you take things the wrong way. No one is saying that North Augusta is growing faster than Augusta. But a company that is located in Augusta is moving to another city...yes its the same metro so it will still benefit us as a whole. The bottom line is this can actually be good for both cities as its locating downtown vs scattered over Augusta. Augusta and North Augusta can work together to create a central business district that crosses both sides of the river and Project Jackson can be the catalyst.
PJA you and other's take things the wrong way.. No one said anything in reference to growth rates anywhere before this comment... How does my comment about this not being a loss for Augusta get turned into additional pages of assumptions?

When did I say anything related to this not being good for both cities or how they shouldn't work together?

Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I've already mention the new projects in downtown Augusta.. The company Rural Sourcing had 75 employees in June 2013 and hired 20 to 30 additional employees. The CEO said he could see the company having 200 to 300 employees total..
Continued growth expected in Augusta high-tech market | The Augusta Chronicle
So what part of *new construction* do you not understand in my question? And on top of that, you are the first one to say the CBD is the "downtown", yet Rural Sourcing that you keep mentioning is in Enterprise Mill and not in your own definition of downtown...

Quote:
How is the Sprint Food Metro Market essentially a boarded up building? The development opens this summer or spring...
High-end convenience store in progress on Broad Street | The Augusta Chronicle
You have been pimping this place in your comments since 2011, and the last you or anyone else put up pictures of it, it looked essentially the same as it did before they started, aside from the plywood around the front of it. The last I was by there and bothered to look, it looked no different than that.

I'm done with you in this thread. It's pointless to try and have a productive conversation with you.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:56 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's good that this company remained in the metro, but Augusta-Richmond County and the state of Georgia is losing tax revenue. This is common when it comes to metros that straddle state lines; this conversation happens all the time in metro Charlotte. Several companies have jumped the border from Mecklenburg County, NC (Charlotte) to the Fort Mill, SC area for lower taxes while still having access to their workforce and Charlotte's amenities. So this sort of move can't be construed as a 100% good thing for the city/state that's losing these jobs although it's a wash or maybe even a net positive for the entire bi-state metro area.
Can't give any more rep but I agree.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:59 AM
PJA

Quote:
PJA you and other's take things the wrong way.. No one said anything in reference to growth rates anywhere before this comment... How does my comment about this not being a loss for Augusta get turned into additional pages of assumptions?

When did I say anything related to this not being good for both cities or how they shouldn't work together?

I can't be the one taking things the wrong way when I was the one who commented on this thread before you did and you came and took my post the wrong way. All I said is that this was a loss for Augusta. I didn't say the sky was falling or any of that..but at the end of the day this is one less business that is located in the city...but good that it's still in the metro area.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:00 PM
PJA

Quote:
You CONSTANTLY reference these areas and other mythical ones. For someone who uses so much conjecture in their posts, you sure are quick to point out when someone else makes up a term. And can you give it a rest with the same tired replies to any comment that is remotely different than what you believe? "I'm not sure why the same few people..." and "I find it funny that..." are two of your infamous ones.

Constantly, again. You IMPLY these things constantly. But between here and the other various places where you post under different pseudonyms, it's clear that you aren't familiar with the concept of implication or the difference in reality and what people perceive to be true of a certain area.

Again, POINT IT OUT. 60,000 sq ft of NEW CONSTRUCTION, let alone that much that is bringing that many jobs. Where in downtown is there anything remotely close to that? I'm only asking you to back up your claim.

You get so defensive when you claim someone puts words in your mouth, yet I didn't say anything about construction not starting yet. I said the projects "haven't happened"...meaning they are still not operating. Your much loved and touted Sprint Foods and Metro Market that is still essentially a boarded up building, along with the ever-invisible 5 Guys in South Augusta (excuse me, or is it SouthWEST Augusta?) are two that immediately come to mind.

I'm personally rather tired of all the threads that are started with simply a link to an article to a news story. And no, I never said that was the only way you found things out. I said that you MUST spend half of your time scouring city, county and project websites to find half of this stuff out. Either tell me that's wrong or tell me you're not an employee of the city/county or closely-related group. You got AWFULLY quiet the past few weeks when your employment and possible misuse of company time for whomever you work for was called into question in the local media. I don't find that coincidental one bit.

?? Details?? LOL

Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
I know that Nort can sometimes go overboard in his enthusiasm for Augusta, but in his defense on these two points...

Quote:
So what part of *new construction* do you not understand in my question? And on top of that, you are the first one to say the CBD is the "downtown", yet Rural Sourcing that you keep mentioning is in Enterprise Mill and not in your own definition of downtown...
I don't know what the technical definition of downtown is, but I think any reasonable person would say that Enterprise Mill is at least on the edge of downtown. I think you may be splitting hairs on this point.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Enter...81944&t=h&z=16

Quote:
You have been pimping this place in your comments since 2011, and the last you or anyone else put up pictures of it, it looked essentially the same as it did before they started, aside from the plywood around the front of it. The last I was by there and bothered to look, it looked no different than that.
Many times when it comes to the rehabilitation of existing buildings, the bulk of the work happens on the inside before it begins on the outside especially if it's not been in the best condition. So you can't always look at the outside and conclude that nothing's happening.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know what the technical definition of downtown is, but I think any reasonable person would say that Enterprise Mill is at least on the edge of downtown. I think you may be splitting hairs on this point.
I know exactly where it is, and I most certainly would still call it downtown....as I would MCG/GRU/GHSU along with many other commoners like me. But by his own definition, the CBD is the true downtown...from 13th to Gordon Highway if you go along the river. It's his classic distortion of the facts to suit his own agenda. That's the only reason I bothered.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
?? Details?? LOL
A certain radio host said what we've all most likely thought at some point. With the amount of commenting he does during the day and the amount of time it would take to scour the sheer volume of the records that he quotes on a regular basis, any reasonable person would wonder either if he is gainfully employed at all or if he actually gets any work done on the job. Or if this stuff *is* his job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area