Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am being recruited to move to Augusta GA with my job... I would appreciate any information anyone could share. I know nothing about that area... Other than the Masters being hosted there (I hate golf!!)

A little about me... I am married with 4 kids so good schools will be VERY important. My wife stays home with the kids... We are professionals in our late 30s, early 40s. Currently, we live in the suburbs of Indianapolis and really like it so something similar would be nice. We would like a 4-5 bedroom home with 2+ baths and a 2/3 car garage in an area with good schools and low crime... Is that doable under $300K? Which areas? Is there a lot of crime? What is the weather like especially in the winter? Are the summers unbearable?

Although I've grown up in the US (DC and NC), I am foreign born and married to a white American, would that be an issue there? I've been warned that it's pretty racially charged down there. Although, I try not to judge anything or anybody based on what other people say.. So please tell me, what is it like? Are people friendly to other races, nationalities? Open minded? Will we get stared at? What are some good school systems? Outdoor activities?

Anything you can share would be kind... Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times
Evans or Martinez in Columbia County would probably be your best bet. Columbia County has excellent schools and the housing in that area would suit you and your family. As far as race relations, the Augusta area is fairly diverse and you shouldn't have any issues as far as being an interracial couple. With the military base,SRS and a Georgia Regents University, most folks around Augusta are use to interracial couples.

Here are some links you may find useful:
http://www.ccboe.net/pages/Columbia_County
Evans Georgia Real Estate
Evans GA Real Estate - 650 Homes For Sale - Zillow

Also Columbia County has some great family attractions
Columbia County Rental Facilities | Columbia County Georgia | Savannah Rapids Pavilion
Evans Towne Center Park | Official Event Site for Evans Towne Center

Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
I would recommend West Augusta, Summerville, and Forest Hills too.. The housing is a little higher compared to Martinez overall but they offer a different type of vibe..

West Augusta is very diverse, can offer good schools, and it's more open minded compared to Evans. The majority of shopping in metro Augusta is located there and the crime rate is low..

Old 05-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Thank you both for the information.... How bad is the commute from the areas you have mentioned to the south east part of town around Monsanto site?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Thank you both for the information.... How bad is the commute from the areas you have mentioned to the south east part of town around Monsanto site?
From 15 to 40 minutes...

The site is located in East Augusta and you should probably check out Summerville, Country Club Hills, and Forest Hills in the beginning... The next closes areas would be West Augusta, Martinez, and Evans in that order...

North Augusta could be a option in South Carolina across the bridge..

Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
From 15 to 40 minutes...

The site is located in East Augusta and you should probably check out Summerville, Country Club Hills, and Forest Hills in the beginning... The next closes areas would be West Augusta, Martinez, and Evans in that order...

North Augusta could be a option in South Carolina across the bridge..
Summerville, Forest Hills and West Augusta are beautiful but the schools seem god awful according to the info I'm finding online....

Martinez seems nice with very good schools! We like that area sofar the most... Is the commute doable in 20-30 minutes? How's the crime rate? Is a nice 4-5 bedroom 2+ bath home with a 3 car garage doable for $300K or less in Martinez?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:58 PM

What schools did you research? The only school in Forest Hills for example is Lake Forest Hills.. The school has a very good reputation even with some of the kids coming from nearby working class neighborhoods. All of the magnet schools located a few minutes away have 6th-12th or K-8...

The Martinez area is find and the address spreads into West Augusta... The commute might be around 20-30 in certain parts and the crime is pretty low..

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-07-2014 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 03:36 AM

32 posts, read 41,866 times
North Augusta/ Aiken schools are worth considering. Augusta Christian and Curtis Baptist are fairly affordable parochial private schools in Richmond County. Continued commercial sprawl in Columbia County will make the traffic situation out there even worse than it is now.

Summer is not too bad. As they say "its the humidity". Temps top out at 110 one or two days. Sometimes a week of 100+ temps in August. Usually in the 90s for most of summer. You could be using your a/c through October some years. Occasional hail storms. Winters here tend to be mild. lows around 10 or below are uncommon. The threat of snow seems to shut the town down.

Augusta's racial problem seems to be mostly limited to politics, THE MEDIA (here I am thinking of the Chronicle), folks 65y.o.+ and the degenerate under-educated

Last edited by lifelongrezident; 05-08-2014 at 03:46 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongrezident View Post
Augusta's racial problem seems to be mostly limited to politics, THE MEDIA (here I am thinking of the Chronicle), folks 65y.o.+ and the degenerate under-educated
That pretty much nails any racial issues in Augusta. Other than those people/places, you're not going to run into any sort of issues. And honestly, the 65+ category is going to be that way anywhere you go...the other items you won't have to deal with anyway.

For the number of bedrooms, baths and garages you're talking about, you'll likely get more for your money away from the city core. There are some great homes there, but you're looking more at historical value there, so the money might not get you as much. Martinez, Hephzibah, Evans, and Grovetown areas on the GA side of the river...North Augusta on the SC side and the various developments near Aiken/Augusta Highway (turns into Gordon Hwy on GA side) are also good choices for the money. There are some great private and magnet schools in Richmond County, and Columbia County schools are generally the more highly rated schools in the area. Aiken County in SC also has some highly rated schools, but are probably a bit more hit and miss in ratings than Columbia County.

Regardless of which of those areas you might choose to locate, you're generally never more than 20-30 minutes away from any of the others in good traffic, 45 min tops if it's bad.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:37 AM

The private school Augusta Christian is located in Columbia County(Martinez)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area