Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 05:41 PM

568 posts, read 693,351 times

Advertisements

I can take the food traffic ding... can you deal with yours?

You flip flopped on the SWOT issues with Food Lion regarding the 2 locations. Corporate issues with the company had already been discussed, yet you had to try and dominate the conversation and spin your vision into the forefront.

So if there are only 697 folks within 1 mile of the Food Lion... why in the world would Kroger consider building there?

There seems to be a flaw in the logic....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,007,446 times
This is my last time responding on this particular issue..

The Kroger Market Place is rumored for the Gateway area outside Grovetown closer to Evans..

The Food Lion in the Grovetown Crossing shopping center is off Horizon/Wrightsboro in the city limits..

The two shopping centers are miles apart from each other..

Old 06-14-2014, 06:12 PM

Then why are you comparing the two?

And what has this to do with the Food Lion at North Leg and Wrightsboro

No need to respond.. like the shopping centers... our logical views and and versions of reality are miles apart...

Old 06-14-2014, 08:14 PM
PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,153,139 times
Without calling the store directly we really don't know why they closed. They could have been planning on closing all along or they could have been treading water and Wal-mart finished them off. Also they could have been planning to close later and had to close earlier. We never know. I think it's pointless to argue about it as if we do. All we can do is speculate. It does seem kind of abrupt to be planned but it still not surprising. I think Winn Dixie did more business than Food Lion does now when they left the area so it not a huge shocker.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:18 PM
PJA

Actually found out through the Augusta Chronicle that the lease ended and they decided to not to renew. IMO this decision probably would have been made even if Wal-mart had not been built as they haven't done a lot a business in years.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:27 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pu239 View Post
I can take the food traffic ding... can you deal with yours?

You flip flopped on the SWOT issues with Food Lion regarding the 2 locations. Corporate issues with the company had already been discussed, yet you had to try and dominate the conversation and spin your vision into the forefront.

So if there are only 697 folks within 1 mile of the Food Lion... why in the world would Kroger consider building there?

There seems to be a flaw in the logic....

I believe that Kroger is going near the I-20/Lewiston Rd exit which of course any interstate access is a attractive.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:41 PM

PJA... your comments make sense, if you roll up all of the negatives, the handwriting was on the wall for the North Leg Food Lion. I still maintain that Walmart's arrivial was a key event that helped drive the business decision to close the store.

These comments along with the previous comments from Carolina Knight, nortonguy and me, all seem to point to the same conclusion, even if we disagree on the weight of the contributing factors.

My point is, that as long as there was not another grocery store to serve those apartments and residents located close by, the Food Lion could hang on... but once there was another player, it did not make sense for Food Lion to stay in the game.

JMO... and I do understand that we are all entitled to our own opinion and always will be.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:45 PM

Kroger at that exit does make sense also... I would think the population density of that area could easily support both the Kroger and Walmart.

Similar to the way North Augusta supports Publix, Kroger and Walmart all in line of sight of each other..

Old 06-14-2014, 09:00 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
Default Food Lion #581, 3246 Wrightsboro Road, Augusta, GA 30909-2937

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the one on Windsor Spring and Tobacco Rd. closed because they are usually pretty dead whenever I go there. Food Lion's prices are just too high compared to other stores but doesn't have the level of service to justify those high prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
This Walmart is pretty close to both the Walmart in South Augusta and the one in Martinez.. And the Kroger is right across the street from the Augusta Mall... The opening of the supercenter didn't really change anything, because the Food Lion was already old and get didn't get many shoppers..

The Food Lion at Windsor Spring/Tobacco doesn't have any competition in the area except for the Bilo.. The Food Lion in the city limits of Grovetown off Wrightsboro road is probably the most likely to close, because of the newer Food Lion off Columbia road.. If Kroger Market Place comes to the Gateway area outside Grovetown, then expect for the Food Lion to close even faster..
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Even though they only have Bi-Lo to compete with (technically two Bi-Los because the one on Peach Orchard isn't that far) they still don't do a lot of business. Most of the time I go in there whenever the usually busy Bi-Lo has ran out of something, and they usually have only one register open and no on is in line and I may see like 3 or 4 customers in the entire store. I do my main grocery shopping at Kroger and Wal-mart and would love for a Kroger to come further south or either a Wal-mart Neighborhood Market to open up in this area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pu239 View Post
And all you do is try to control the conversation.. Food Lion has been open in that location for almost 30 years... Walmart opens and in less than 2 months they close the store and you say Walmart did not change things.....

Once again, why did Food Lion stay open all these years... because they have food traffic from all of the apartments located in walking distance... now you have the Walmart in virtually the same location.

Your take on adding something productive to the forum is blustering your own ego and making statements that are so outlandish they are ABSURD... Good luck on your Leadership position... your going to need it.
Quote:
I'll respond for the last time, because you love to to argue non stop(5 different post in eighteen minutes)..

The #1 high tech market was based on percentages and I could have been more clear.. I don't know why anybody thought I actually meant in terms of raw numbers..

My initial comment said the new Walmart didn't really do much, because the Food Lion was already struggling years before Walmart even broke ground... The residents in West Augusta who live between Wheeler and Washington will still more than likely use the Martinez Walmart..

The Kroger on Wrightsboro road is still packed everyday and B&C purchased the Bilo shopping center this year..
Blanchard & Calhoun Commercial | News | Daniel Village acquisition with strategic plans for improvement

My other comment said the Walmart in Grovetown off Wrightsboro is probably the most likely to be next... The Food Lion off Columbia rd opened in 2009 and there's rumors of Kroger Market place coming to the Gateway... The Grovetown market is much smaller to West Augusta...

The 'Food traffic' was a joke, because you always make a HUGE deal anytime I misspell something.. I misspelled the word Kohl's and put Khols.. You and somebody else rushed to comment and your still bringing up the Atlantic Bread Company..

The 6,187 is the number of people living within 1 mile of the Richmond Plaza shopping center on Wrightsboro(2010)...
Quote:
This is my last time responding on this particular issue..

The Kroger Market Place is rumored for the Gateway area outside Grovetown closer to Evans..

The Food Lion in the Grovetown Crossing shopping center is off Horizon/Wrightsboro in the city limits..

The two shopping centers are miles apart from each other..
When Food Lion closes one store in the area, more stores follow quickly. I think they brought upon their store closure themselves prior to Walmart's arrival.

Kroger is really going full steam ahead with their Marketplace stores throughout their Atlanta Division. They will be exciting to watch. After acquiring Harris Teeter, one wonders what Kroger intends to do next. I will not be surprised to see them re-enter upstate South Carolina through the acquisition of an existing chain.

Publix is lacking stores in southern Richmond County.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:17 PM

998 posts, read 1,539,738 times
From January 2012:
New Walmart Supercenter to go on Wrightsboro Road | The Augusta Chronicle

Food-Lion knew for two and a half years (at least publicly, probably longer in the "biz" world) that Wal-Mart was coming the next traffic light over on Wrightsboro Road… common sense and business sense would tell you that the timing of the Food-Lion closing and the Wal-Mart opening are connected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area