Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 08:32 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,105 times

Advertisements

And for consistencies sake in the forum… in other threads, posters said that 2 miles and just under were too far away from around a certain defunct shopping mall "area" to be included as such when certain unfortunate events had transpired nearby. But then throw out the 1,3 and 5 mile stats to describe other areas, one of them being another shopping mall area itself. Which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 09:18 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
From January 2012:
New Walmart Supercenter to go on Wrightsboro Road | The Augusta Chronicle

Food-Lion knew for two and a half years (at least publicly, probably longer in the "biz" world) that Wal-Mart was coming the next traffic light over on Wrightsboro Road… common sense and business sense would tell you that the timing of the Food-Lion closing and the Wal-Mart opening are connected.

Common sense and Business sense would also tell you that Food Lion has had sluggish sales for a while and would have closed regardless if Wal-mart opened there or not.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:47 PM

Again, they knew for over 2 and a half years that Wal-Mart was coming…

Food Lion closing on Wrightsboro Road | The Augusta Chronicle

Spokeswoman for Food-Lion says it decided not to renew the lease, Wal-Mart coincidentally was also mentioned in the article as being built within walking distance. The three closings in Columbia County are a completely different set of clientele, the 3 stores were built in areas with existing grocery stores and just didn't work as Publix, Kroger and Wal-Mart have built a stranglehold over that part of town for many years now with Bi-Lo bringing up the rear. They tried a new concept in this area with these stores and it didn't go over. Personally I thought the Food-Lion stores were nice, but still found myself going to Wal-mart or Kroger.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times
How are the three in Columbia County a completely different set of clientele?

There are no existing grocery stores near the former Food Lion off Old Petersburg in Martinez... The Food Lion was built years ago and it's nowhere close to being new..

The former Food Lion's in Evans off North Belair and the one in Martinez off Furys Ferry are both surrounded by existing grocery stores..

Old 06-14-2014, 10:14 PM

My mistake, that one had been there a while and wasn't the new concept that I was referring to for that part of town. I'm surprised that one made it as long as it did, people in that area will drive the extra distance to their store of choice. Food-Lion never had a footprint in Columbia County, it's kind of an outlier statistically in comparison to the one closing on Wrightsboro road that was established in the area and had a mega store opening up beside it. There are 9 other Food-Lion locations that will remain open… Wal-Mart killed this one.

About that consistency comment I made though?

Old 06-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
How are the three in Columbia County a completely different set of clientele?

There are no existing grocery stores near the former Food Lion off Old Petersburg in Martinez... The Food Lion was built years ago and it's nowhere close to being new..

The former Food Lion's in Evans off North Belair and the one in Martinez off Furys Ferry are both surrounded by existing grocery stores..

Well… compare the areas of the one that just announced it's closing and the ones that closed in columbia county. It's a different set customers demographically, financially and like I already said… Publix, Wal-Mart and Kroger dominate Columbia County.

Last edited by tckr83; 06-14-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 AM

11 posts, read 15,528 times
It's probably a long shot because the building is so old, Walmart is in close proximity, and Family Dollar and Big Lots are in the same shopping center, but maybe they could put a Dollar General Market or Bottom Dollar in it's place. It's certainly big enough for one of those and it would be a cheaper shopping option. Food Lion's been there for a long time. It'd be sad to just see it sit there for who knows how long like the Save A Lot did and is doing now.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Well… compare the areas of the one that just announced it's closing and the ones that closed in columbia county. It's a different set customers demographically, financially and like I already said… Publix, Wal-Mart and Kroger dominate Columbia County.
The area near the Food Lion off Old Petersburg is not a different set of customers demographically or financially...

None of those grocery stores are close to the Food Lion off Old Petersburg road.. The nearest grocery store is the Walmart that was built decades ago..

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-15-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-15-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bree89 View Post
It's probably a long shot because the building is so old, Walmart is in close proximity, and Family Dollar and Big Lots are in the same shopping center, but maybe they could put a Dollar General Market or Bottom Dollar in it's place. It's certainly big enough for one of those and it would be a cheaper shopping option. Food Lion's been there for a long time. It'd be sad to just see it sit there for who knows how long like the Save A Lot did and is doing now.
Why would you want another Dollar General? I would rather the property site there empty before adding Dollar General....

I have a feeling both of the shopping centers might be demolished based on discussions, but the Food Lion shopping center could be renovated..

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-15-2014 at 07:39 AM..

Old 06-15-2014, 08:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Default Food Lion #581, 3246 Wrightsboro Road, Augusta, GA 30909-2937

Quote:
Originally Posted by bree89 View Post
I highly doubt Food Lion would replace their closed store with a Bottom Dollar. Bottom Dollar stores have not performed up to expectations. I would not be surprised to see all Bottom Dollar stores closed or successful stores converted to Food Lion.

I am aware of Dollar General Market. It would be nice if Dollar General opened more Market stores instead of the standard Dollar General stores.

I know Family Dollar is closing stores nationwide. I do not know if any in the Augusta area are closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area