Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,955 times

Advertisements

We are moving possibly to the area. Wife would be working in Augusta. We are not adverse to 45 minutes or less for a commute. We will probaly rent for 6 months until we buy. We really don't care where we rent as we will be doing this just to get a feel for the area

Also, I have heard about one place from an old buddy of mine but dont think Ive seen it discussed on here. That place is GRANitville, SC. Any tips on this place particular, but really suggestions on the entire area would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Needs

House cost 220k-315k

Good or great schools

Lowest crime area.

Highest percentage of college grad residents

Nice or older homes. Doesn't matter. I prefer older with character and wife newer.

Shopping and ammeties, more so for my wife. I really dont care.

Lot size- would be nice to have a larger lot but not a deal breaker

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated,.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by mcamps34; 07-03-2015 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 08:48 AM

Wow. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:25 AM

730 posts, read 1,401,907 times
Graniteville is growing and has some new developments: Sage Creek, Gregg's Mill, and the Summit at Horse Creek. The Summit is the nicest of those, but you can still buy a lot of house in the other 2. The elementary school (Byrd) is fine but way overcrowded and the high school (Midland Valley) is fine. The middle school (Leavelle McCampbell) is a disaster. Graniteville doesn't offer a ton. Dollar General, BI-LO, McDonald's, and some local diners are there. Aiken is only a 10 minute drive to the westside of town for Walmart and other stores that surround a Walmart development. It is 15-20 minutes into Downtown and the southside. The southside is where all of the big box retailers (another Walmart, Target, Petsmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Ross, Bed-Bath-Beyond, etc.) and chain restaurants (Outback, Longhorn's, Cracker Barrel, Red Lobster, Chili's, etc.) are.

By the same token, it is only a 10-15 minute drive to North Augusta. NA will offer the retail and some chain restaurants, but nowhere near as much as Aiken offers.

Another couple of minutes puts you in Augusta where you will find even more in terms of retail, eating, things to do.

Edit: At your price range, if you wanted Graniteville, you could buy a lot and build in Horse Creek. It is the new section of homes on the Midland Valley Country Club golf course. Plenty of lots in there last time I looked around. The homes are more custom with bigger lots, not trac.

Last edited by Tiger17; 07-06-2015 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: add neighborhood

Old 07-06-2015, 01:28 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamps34 View Post
Wow. Thanks for all the replies.
Haven't read "How to Win Friends and Influence People", have you? It was a holiday weekend, man. Give people a break.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:46 PM

148 posts, read 263,640 times
The best public schools (excepting the excellent Richmond County charter schools) are located in Columbia County (Stevens Creek and Lakeside high for example). The downside is that it really is suburbia which I kind of got the impression you were trying to avoid...

Old 07-06-2015, 02:51 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukInAugusta View Post
The best public schools (excepting the excellent Richmond County charter schools) are located in Columbia County (Stevens Creek and Lakeside high for example). The downside is that it really is suburbia which I kind of got the impression you were trying to avoid...
That's not true.... Lake Forest elementary(non magnet/charter) is ranked higher usually than almost every school in Columbia County except for maybe 1 or 2. This is just one school of the top of my head. Your also confusing the existing magnet schools with the new charter school underway in Hephzibah.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:01 PM

Default I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Haven't read "How to Win Friends and Influence People", have you? It was a holiday weekend, man. Give people a break.
yes i have. I was just kidding. Lord. Please tell me people have a sense of humor in the area.

Thats another joke

Thanks everyone.

We are looking at a house on Indian Cove Rd online.

Is this a nice area or is it high crime???

Old 07-06-2015, 03:14 PM

Ok so here are a few houses Ive seen online.

Ill tell you guys/gals the areas and please let us know if these areas are good for familes, low crime etc..
Just remember that we are ok with sending her to private schools if we have to. These are all in Augusta proper since I have a good feeling most in NA, Evans, Martinez are all pretty good areas. Augusta is where Im the most confused and worried

Indian Cove Rd

Ansley Place

Lancaster Rd (westwick)

Country Club Hills

Autumn Chase

Dorchester Dr ( was my personal favorite on zillow)

Windsor Court

Oberlin Rd

Are any of these areas good for families and far enough away from high crime areas where I can sleep at night without my glock under my pillow (that was another joke by the way)

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:10 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,100,025 times
All of those areas mentioned are nice and low crime.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:41 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,698 times
If I were you, I'd look up local crime maps (just google it) and a number of websites will come up showing crime as well as the safer areas in general. Ask the neighbors at the houses you go see as well about the neighborhood, i find realtors to be hit and miss on their "advice" and this is from discussions with friends that are realtors themselves in regards to their line of business. Honestly, a cop would also be a good source as to what an area is truly like. If you see one driving through a neighborhood, pumping gas or whatever... just talk to them about whatever questions you have about an area in which one of the houses you like is located. Augusta is just like any other city, it has good and bad areas... many like it, some dont... it just depends on what youre looking for in a city and where you're at in life. It is what you make it. Good luck and welcome to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area