Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 06:30 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,162,191 times

Advertisements

It's been about 8 months since we've heard anything about this development. Glad to see its still moving forward. I seriously hope most of the retailers planned for this project are new to the market.
Quote:
The Mullins Crossing shopping center is expanding and that means more places to shop, but also more shoppers on the road.

Traffic engineers say the current intersection at Owens and Washington Road typically gets congested around breakfast or lunch at Chick-fil-a. The Development Authority says the existing center was planned strategically to cut down on traffic.

In the county, Washington Road is a main corridor. The Mullins Crossing shopping center makes the most of that location.

"Look at the tax revenue it brings in. You got all kind of people working here, and all kind of people shopping here and it's good for the county because it brings in people, it brings in tax revenue," said James McMenamin.

He frequents the shopping center, and the Chick-fil-a.

"I'm a guy. I come shopping when I need to. It's not like I go browsing," he chuckled.

He says the shopping center is a good use of space, and all the options are there.

My wife, one of her favorite places is Kohl's. Of course we hit Target. Use Office Max a lot for my business. And we just left, like I said, Chick-fil-a, and Panera Bread is always great," McMenamin noted.

Mullins Crossing Phase I already has number of people who shop and eat there, but the owners are hoping to expand that popularity even more, with the creation of Mullins Crossing Phase II.

The stores for the next phase have not been announced yet, but owner Joe Mullins says some great things will be announced in the next couple of weeks.

With more stores, comes more traffic, but the County says they have not made traffic plans just yet.

County officials say they want to put a traffic light up wherever the Phase II intersection goes on Washington Road. However, because it is private property, and too early to tell, they do not have a plan currently.

"It's not going to be a problem. Just as long as it doesn't screw up traffic, like I said they should plan for it and I'm sure they will," said McMenamin.

He says he is trusting the professionals when it comes to a Phase II traffic plan.
Mullins Crossing Phase II could mean more shoppers, more traffic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,260 times
Washington Road is going to be a parking lot and the extension of River Watch isn't going to help things at all... time to start thinking about a true loop expressway, Athens has one. It will alleviate all congested interior roadways as the expressway would be opted for instead of everyone darn near driving the entire length of the more heavier traveled roads like Washington, Belair, Fury's Ferry, etc.

If it takes paying an added tax to do it, I'd be the first to sign up to do it. All counties involved could chip in and then maybe we could set up the right conditions finally some time down the road for a North/South Interstate to come through the area and connect onto the loop. The area needs to start thinking bigger picture on things like this...

Old 07-07-2015, 06:56 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,162,191 times
I agree 100%, Augusta does need a true beltway around the city and a north-south interstate. I believe a north-south interstate running between Greenville,SC and Savannah would be a huge boon for the area.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:39 PM

212 posts, read 239,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I agree 100%, Augusta does need a true beltway around the city and a north-south interstate. I believe a north-south interstate running between Greenville,SC and Savannah would be a huge boon for the area.
It would! I couldn't agree with you guys more. We need to do like Atlanta and make trucks take the bypass. But unlike Atlanta, we need to keep it as a BYPASS and not another freeway, by keeping all growth inside the "Augusta Perimeter." Look at a map and you'll see how their aren't really any ways to go north-south in Augusta. Perfect place to build this perimeter would be somewhere between Exit 175 and Exit 183. Augusta would see growth of we looked up to cities like Atlanta, not Albany, GA.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:16 PM

423 posts, read 447,458 times
Default Agreed but you are talking alot of money and I just dont see

either the state or the feds willing to build that at all.
Might work if it was a toll road though even I am not fond of toll roads they sometimes can come in handy especially if all trucks are required to use it unless they are making a delivery or picking up a load over a certain weight inside the city.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:52 AM

998 posts, read 1,549,260 times
No, not necessariy... the 1-cent regional special district transportation sales and use tax that was passed or shot down on a region by region vote across the state would/could drastically reduce or elimate the need altogether to have the state/federal government sweat out the cost of the project. The Augusta area passed theirs and it's projected to raise over 850 million in 10 years, that's a lot of money and a lot of money that stays right here in the area. Of course, projections aren't always accurate, but it would still raise a massive amount of money. To have a project like this on the table, given a small tax increase and know that it will stay right here for a major local transportation project while easing traffic across the area... I'd be more than willing to pay a temporary tax to help finance most if not all of it.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:17 PM

148 posts, read 263,563 times
Any update on what stores are rumored to be in phase II?

Old 02-04-2016, 01:52 PM

194 posts, read 163,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Washington Road is going to be a parking lot and the extension of River Watch isn't going to help things at all... time to start thinking about a true loop expressway, Athens has one. It will alleviate all congested interior roadways as the expressway would be opted for instead of everyone darn near driving the entire length of the more heavier traveled roads like Washington, Belair, Fury's Ferry, etc.

If it takes paying an added tax to do it, I'd be the first to sign up to do it. All counties involved could chip in and then maybe we could set up the right conditions finally some time down the road for a North/South Interstate to come through the area and connect onto the loop. The area needs to start thinking bigger picture on things like this...
We seriously need a loop... as in yesterday! I don't see how the area will be able to progress cohesively without one, but it's going to take a lot of work.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukInAugusta View Post
Any update on what stores are rumored to be in phase II?
It's pretty strange, because I haven't seen or heard anything. Usually rumors travel rather quickly around the city.

I have a feeling Mullins Crossing 2 might be similar to phase 1. The majority of stores will have existing locations in metro Augusta and offer 1-3 new things(existing Academy Sports, Red Robin, and Kohl's)..

I think people got excited over the land clearing, but they were selling the dirt to GDOT to help complete the Riverwatch Parkway extension into Columbia County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area