Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:17 PM

212 posts, read 239,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
I don't see the point in HOV lanes anywhere in Augusta, to be honest. Even as far as Grovetown seems to be a stretch to me, but nearly all the way to the Harlem/Appling exit?? We're already 4 lanes in the only places that might be close to needing it. People might say it hinders development or something, but I don't see it. Seems like something else to spend the money on that isn't really needed.
I'm not the biggest fan of them either. The only reason I show remote interest in them is because I am a highway nerd. Coming from a traffic engineer standpoint (even though I'm not one), HOV lanes would not be necessary for the next 50 years. They may become necessary in a Vision 2070 plan, but not 2040. The most that stretch of highway needs is another lane (for a total of 6) just because it gets congested in the morning and evenings. However, if they did add an HOV and general use lane (for a total of 8), their would be no congestion for a few years. But as shown in Atlanta, when more lanes are added, more people use the road, creating the same issues as seen before. While I'm not positive it would happen in Augusta, I can say that another lane is necessary for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 07:54 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2401 View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of them either. The only reason I show remote interest in them is because I am a highway nerd. Coming from a traffic engineer standpoint (even though I'm not one), HOV lanes would not be necessary for the next 50 years. They may become necessary in a Vision 2070 plan, but not 2040. The most that stretch of highway needs is another lane (for a total of 6) just because it gets congested in the morning and evenings. However, if they did add an HOV and general use lane (for a total of 8), their would be no congestion for a few years. But as shown in Atlanta, when more lanes are added, more people use the road, creating the same issues as seen before. While I'm not positive it would happen in Augusta, I can say that another lane is necessary for the time being.
It's not that I'm not a fan of them. I have no problem with HOV lanes. I just don't remotely see any need for them through Augusta. Columbia doesn't even have them, and that MSA is around 200,000 larger of a population than the Augusta MSA. There are massively better things to spend money on. Seems like politicians just want to spend money because they can and not because it's something that is needed.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:04 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
It's not that I'm not a fan of them. I have no problem with HOV lanes. I just don't remotely see any need for them through Augusta. Columbia doesn't even have them, and that MSA is around 200,000 larger of a population than the Augusta MSA. There are massively better things to spend money on. Seems like politicians just want to spend money because they can and not because it's something that is needed.
Columbia may be larger but it also has three interstates and one spur while Augusta only has I-20 and I-520. With only one major roadway in the area coupled with the fact that most of the major development is occuring in and around the I-20 corridor it kind of makes sense in the long run although I too was only expecting the roadway to be widened to 6 lanes.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Columbia may be larger but it also has three interstates and one spur while Augusta only has I-20 and I-520. With only one major roadway in the area coupled with the fact that most of the major development is occuring in and around the I-20 corridor it kind of makes sense in the long run although I too was only expecting the roadway to be widened to 6 lanes.
It might as well just be a roadway widening. Adding an HOV lane will simply be adding another lane because it will never be enforced. They rarely enforce the speed limit from the state line through Belair, which is evident by the people flying by me even when I'm going 65...so I don't see them doing any different with an HOV lane. I never really saw the point of HOV lanes, personally, compared to just adding another lane. I rarely see them being enforced anywhere that does have them.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:38 PM

423 posts, read 447,604 times
I kinda wish that they could add a light rail system to the plan connecting Grovetown, Evans, Martinez and Augusta all together but it would probably be a nightmare to try and do one now with how the varies subdivisions are scattered willy-nilly. *sigh*

Old 07-27-2015, 04:01 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times
I too would like to see a light rail/commuter rail line in the Augusta area one day. My idea for the line would run from downtown to the Evans Towne Centre using the existing rail line. It would be similar to the WES Commuter rail line in Portland. https://trimet.org/wes/index.htm

Old 07-27-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I too would like to see a light rail/commuter rail line in the Augusta area one day. My idea for the line would run from downtown to the Evans Towne Centre using the existing rail line. It would be similar to the WES Commuter rail line in Portland. https://trimet.org/wes/index.htm
I would think something like that would need to be on a new or abandoned line. That rail line is a pretty busy one. Unless it was expected to only make the trip every couple hours at most, I'm not sure how that would work out.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:26 PM

119 posts, read 204,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
A better route would be to connect downtown,, medical center, mall, ft.gordon and grovetown there are plans to abandon the line between 15th and Walton way next to medical center and plenty of available right of way to lay a new set of track parallel to the existing line that runs between 15th and grovetown. It would have a higher ridership due to its connection to many of Augusta's largest employment centers it would also travel thru some of the more populated areas.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:36 AM

121 posts, read 109,570 times
I also think it should go to north Augusta as well as a regional collaboration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area