Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times

Advertisements

I think this is a good idea and would definitely be a boost to downtown.
Quote:
As Augusta sales tax talks got under way Friday, Paul Simon of Augusta Riverfront LLC pitched a plan that would expand Augusta Common to the Savannah River and put a new hotel at Reynolds Street and James Brown Boulevard.
“This plan will help clean up our downtown,” Simon said. “It will provide open greenspace in the center of the city.”
Plus, it will bolster public support for the Nov. 3 special purpose, local option sales tax referendum, he said.
“Y’all are going to need all the help you can get with the SPLOST,” Simon said.
Augusta Riverfront runs the nearby Marriott at the Convention Center and the city-built Augusta Convention Center and Reynolds Street parking garage. The firm shares management with Morris Communications Co., owner of The Augusta Chronicle.
Simon said he and fellow Augusta native Barry Storey agreed that the time was right for a new hotel downtown and its ideal location is the site of the former Augusta Police Department and city jail building, owned by Storey and located across James Brown Boulevard from the parking deck.
Simon told members of the city’s Economic Development subcommittee his plan fit in well with the enhanced tribute to James Brown they were discussing Friday. Augusta’s statue of James Brown is located at the Broad Street end of the Common.
After the meeting Simon said he wasn’t precisely sure how the property trade would be structured, but Augusta Riverfront would obtain the Storey property to build a 130-room hotel and the city would gain a Morris-owned tract, currently a parking lot, between the existing Common and the river.
Proposal made on expanding Augusta Common, building new hotel | The Augusta Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 07:21 PM

515 posts, read 632,044 times
I think this is a great idea, hopefully it actually ends up happening.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:10 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times
To me it will be interesting to see what projects will make the cut for the SPLOST. I believe this SPLOST will be a major boost for the city's infrastructure.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:53 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
This sounds like an excellent idea. Aside from removing the levee (which would literally take an act of Congress), this is the best thing that can be done to connect the river to the CBD.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:32 PM

212 posts, read 239,140 times
Great to hear that the project planned for 16 years ago may possibly happen.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:33 PM

212 posts, read 239,140 times
Maybe the hotel may be a new addition to the skyline

Old 07-25-2015, 09:39 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,960 times
Love the concept, but the fact that Paul Simon is involved tells me not to touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:18 AM

124 posts, read 206,499 times
downtown augusta needs another tall hotel downtown or another tall condo. augusta needs too build it's skyline up more that way when your coming down the interstate you will see it and it will be more noticeable from the interstate. It looks like columbus ga won't be getting a skyline. And plus if Columbus did ever get a skyline you would not be able too see it from the interstate like you can with augusta and macon and probably savanaah. Because interstate I185 is too far out from downtown. Columbus is just a military dependent town.

Last edited by columbusgametro; 08-01-2015 at 12:28 AM..

Old 08-01-2015, 07:24 AM

121 posts, read 109,570 times
I would still love to have fortune 500 company like Columbus does

Old 08-01-2015, 07:47 AM

124 posts, read 206,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In for Augusta View Post
I would still love to have fortune 500 company like Columbus does
Columbus ga has five 500 fortune companies here there are aflac,synovus, tsys, carmike cinemas, and char broil they make bbq grills. I thought augusta had a 500 fortune company there. char broil manufaturing plant is a good paying job but it's very dangerous my uncle worked there as a security guard years back and said a man died with the bucket of hot liquid metal over turned on him and burnt him up he died there on the seen.

Last edited by columbusgametro; 08-01-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area