U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:14 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,420 posts, read 13,359,083 times

Advertisements

I think Reynolds will definitely need a parking deck if 700 people are working at Unisys.. I'm positive the Unisys development will attract nearby commercial developments and increase the need for additional parking.

All surface parking should be banned from the urban core.. I think two of the parking bays along Broad could become a small parking deck and the rest converted into green space. I agree with knocking down some of the abandoned buildings on Lower Broad and building a new parking deck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 07:53 PM

989 posts, read 1,353,142 times
The Wells Fargo parking deck right across from Unisys is by and large part nearly empty daily... just saying lets use the existing ones that are currently under occupied through agreements or whatever before we go and build a parking deck on prime Riverfront property along Reynolds Street. Any new developments on the Riverfront that's worthwhile will most likely have some sort of parking deck attached to it like the existing Riverplace Condominiums has.

Just really important the last few spots of river front property downtown is developed properly, my hope is that Project Jackson will take off and help spur some new interest on the Georgia side. I'm sure the 1,000 or so jobs over the next few years that will be located downtown will also help with new interest in downtown and undeveloped property.

Would hate to see all those trees along broad street go... look at Savannah's downtown canopies and Greenville's Main Street, some pretty areas with plenty of trees in a developed area. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,132,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
The Wells Fargo parking deck right across from Unisys is by and large part nearly empty daily... just saying lets use the existing ones that are currently under occupied through agreements or whatever before we go and build a parking deck on prime Riverfront property along Reynolds Street. Any new developments on the Riverfront that's worthwhile will most likely have some sort of parking deck attached to it like the existing Riverplace Condominiums has.

Just really important the last few spots of river front property downtown is developed properly, my hope is that Project Jackson will take off and help spur some new interest on the Georgia side. I'm sure the 1,000 or so jobs over the next few years that will be located downtown will also help with new interest in downtown and undeveloped property.

Would hate to see all those trees along broad street go... look at Savannah's downtown canopies and Greenville's Main Street, some pretty areas with plenty of trees in a developed area. Once they're gone, they're gone.
Knowing folks who work or have worked in the Wells Fargo building, I'm told that the owner of that deck wants a ridiculous rate to rent a monthly space in that deck, which is why it goes largely unused. I'm assuming it must be paid for and doesn't have much holding cost involved for the owner since they don't seem interested in lowering those rates. Many of the folks in that building just use the street parking in the vicinity rather than pay the exorbitant rate for a parking space in the deck. About the only folks who seem to use it are the ones whose space is paid for by their employer.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:58 PM

989 posts, read 1,353,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Knowing folks who work or have worked in the Wells Fargo building, I'm told that the owner of that deck wants a ridiculous rate to rent a monthly space in that deck, which is why it goes largely unused. I'm assuming it must be paid for and doesn't have much holding cost involved for the owner since they don't seem interested in lowering those rates. Many of the folks in that building just use the street parking in the vicinity rather than pay the exorbitant rate for a parking space in the deck. About the only folks who seem to use it are the ones whose space is paid for by their employer.
That deck isn't part of the Wells Fargo building itself? Nothing would surprise me in Augusta, but I would like to think that a large company would get a better going rate than individuals leasing out single parking spaces by the month. They still pay taxes, insurance and other fees on the deck itself... they could make a lot of money (or not) by actually using the deck at reasonable rates. Seems like a pretty easy decision to me and its frustrating that common sense things like this and what's best for Augusta are often reduced to this kind of stuff. Drives me nuts.

If that's true about the deck and it's owner... they deserve their empty parking deck.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:19 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,132,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
That deck isn't part of the Wells Fargo building itself? Nothing would surprise me in Augusta, but I would like to think that a large company would get a better going rate than individuals leasing out single parking spaces by the month. They still pay taxes, insurance and other fees on the deck itself... they could make a lot of money (or not) by actually using the deck at reasonable rates. Seems like a pretty easy decision to me and its frustrating that common sense things like this and what's best for Augusta are often reduced to this kind of stuff. Drives me nuts.

If that's true about the deck and it's owner... they deserve their empty parking deck.
The deck and the building are owned by the same group. But apparently parking is not part of the rental agreement for building tenants, or at least not the majority of them. I once had an interview with a company in the building and we got to talking about how hard it was for me to find a parking space and I was told then that it was over $200 a month for a space in there. All that being said, I also don't think they enforce any of the "reserved" space signs in the deck unless someone calls about you taking their space. Since most of them aren't rented, chances are slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area