U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,417 posts, read 13,334,126 times

Advertisements

The Central Business District continues to pick up steam...

People continue to move into downtown Augusta
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 04:42 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,075,383 times
Default People Continue To Move Into Downtown Augusta

This is a trend I feel will continue to increase, especially once Unisys reaches full employment. Also, I believe GRU will begin to increase its presence in DT Augusta over the next 15 years in a major way.

Quote:
Scott Bovain is now an empty nester and he's making life a little easier for himself, he moved to downtown Augusta.

"Thats why I'm able to do what I want now no more house living and lawn cutting and things like that," said Scott Bovain.

Scott is a part of the trend to move to the urban cores of America's cities. The Augusta Downtown Development Authority is welcoming it.

"We could add a couple hundred units tomorrow and that would make us very happy at the Downtown Development Authority, we need housing," said Augusta DDA Executive Director Margaret Woodard.

Peach Contractors say the demand is here. They started pre-leasing a new apartment building on Ellist Street, of the 19 units, half are full.

"Your baby boomers no longer need the swing sets and the school systems," said Woodard.

Along with renovating buildings, the DDA says there is a big demand for restoring historic homes into apartments as well. They say if housing is available and moved into, more businesses will come.

"We had 100 new employees added to the Wells Fargo Building you have UNISYS coming with 700 employees and last year we saw a net gain 18 new businesses open up on the Broad Street corridor," said Woodard.

Peach Contractors say millenials are playing a big part in downtown development as well.

"There's so many things to do here and people just don't know it," said Bovain.

As for Scott Bovain, he's enjoying his time as a grandfather and the time he is not spending maintaining a home.

"I love the city life and downtown this gives me the city life," said Bovain.
People continue to move into downtown Augusta

Old 09-08-2015, 05:03 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,075,383 times
It's good to see people moving downtown. Broad Street gets better year after year.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:43 PM

989 posts, read 1,350,269 times
Good to hear... Would tend to believe that with the hundreds of jobs coming downtown soon and the Project Jackson development across the river, this trend of people moving downtown will continue.

***They better do something about parking now instead of later***

Old 09-08-2015, 08:03 PM

104 posts, read 80,138 times
Naw we just need to find some way to fix this parking problem

Old 09-09-2015, 07:34 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,417 posts, read 13,334,126 times
The easiest solution for parking is to build a parking deck on Reynolds for Unisys workers. Then remove all of the parking bays in the middle of Broad, and build a parking deck..

Old 09-09-2015, 04:22 PM

104 posts, read 80,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
and build a parking deck..
And build the other parking deck where

Old 09-09-2015, 04:27 PM

2,164 posts, read 2,853,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All In for Augusta View Post
And build the other parking deck where
middle of Broad,

Old 09-09-2015, 04:46 PM

567 posts, read 584,993 times
Isn't there already a parking deck on Reynolds? In fact, I believe there are several....

Old 09-09-2015, 06:12 PM

989 posts, read 1,350,269 times
Not really sure Reynolds needs one... but Broad street could use a couple of smaller parking decks. I would just fill in the underground spaces on Broad and leave them as surface spaces. If you make those spaces in the middle of Broad parking decks (is there enough room anyway?), all those mature trees will be gone and completely change the feel of that area.

I'd rather see a few of the run down and vacant store fronts be purchased and torn down, use those for the parking decks. Heck, a few of them are nothing but walls anyway. Google earth it, some don't even have roofs. String two of those in a row and entry/exit on both Broad and Ellis Streets, nothing the scale of the ones on Reynolds though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area