Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 05:53 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

Here we go again....
Quote:
The Board of Regents may be talking about renaming Georgia Regents University in a meeting Tuesday in Atlanta, that's according to a source with GRU.

Dr. Brooks Keel President of GRU will be at the meeting.

“The University System of Georgia continues to discuss ideas and options that maximize Georgia Regents University," says Board of Regents Chairman Neil Pruitt, Jr., "and its ability to be an excellent undergraduate university and a top 50 medical school in the nation.”

The Board of Regents agenda states "GRU Update" with no explanation.
Talks of changing the name of Georgia Regents University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:04 PM

A better article from the Augusta Chronicle...
Quote:
One source within the University System said that the regents are frustrated that Augusta residents have been so adamant about putting the city into the school’s name since none of the state’s other research universities are named for a city. This official said the regents wanted to ensure Keel started his administration with community support after his predecessor — Ricardo Azziz — was blasted by residents and alumni.
Threats to withhold donations and cooperation have worn the regents down, said the official, who requested anonymity.

The name “University of Augusta” would likely be the new name of the school, although there is a chance the health system could remain Georgia Regents Health System, said the GRU source who requested anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak before any decision was made.
Keeping the name for the health system would save on the expense of the name change. The university had budgeted $3.8 million to change and update its signs after consolidation, although some of that likely would have been updated anyway, officials have said.
GRU might get renamed, source says | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,162 times
It's interesting to me how much people complain about wasting of taxpayer money, but as long as it's wasted on the right thing it's okay. I don't care either way about the name, I just work there. As long as the check clears that's all I care about. I also don't have a degree from there, so that part doesn't upset me either. But it makes no sense to me after millions have been spent erecting permanent signs with GRU on them, wayfaring signage, stationery costs, web/electronic development to change logos and names, apparel and other items printed with the name and logo on them...to turn around and spend just as much money for a third name change. I feel like at this point it's just a vendetta thing against Azziz (who I also don't care one way or another about) and not so much about people caring about the name. Folks just want to rinse the bad taste out of their mouths that he left.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:03 AM

I see your point minon, but at the end of the day it was silly for the regents to spend $45,000 on a study and the reject the most popular name for one that most people didn't like. Also considering the lofty goals the governor and the regents have for this university to be a top 50 medical school, the regents have to make sure everything is on point. Last but not least, the name GRU was hurting their fundraising efforts allegedly and with the bade taste Azziz left in everyone's mouth, it was best they changed the name.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:06 AM

Well now its Augusta University....
Quote:
It took three years but one of the most popular choices for a consolidated school now graces Augusta University.
The University System of Georgia Board of Regents voted this morning to rename the school from Georgia Regents University, changing a name that angered Augusta residents and alumni alike, replacing it with one of the top choices from a $45,500 survey the school paid for prior to the original vote in 2012. The vote was unanimous with no discussion,
In that 2012 study of both Georgia residents and a national survey, Augusta University was one of the top choices in every panel, finishing second to University of Augusta. Addressing questions that people would not know where Augusta is, 96 percent in Georgia and 74 percent nationally correctly placed it in Georgia. Only 6.4 percent said Maine and 1.7 percent said Kansas, according to the study.
The original vote came despite the threat of a lawsuit from Regent University in Virginia, which was later settled, and despite immediate howls of protest. Frustration with the name coalesced into the Save the A campaign led by prominent business leaders to rename the school University of Augusta. That later led to a compromise by school officials to use Georgia Regents University Augusta on all merchandise and signs but the name was not legally changed, until today. Privately, sources within the regents said frustration over the name has hurt fundraising and hounded former GRU President Ricardo Azziz.
Regents make it Augusta University | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
It's interesting to me how much people complain about wasting of taxpayer money, but as long as it's wasted on the right thing it's okay. I don't care either way about the name, I just work there. As long as the check clears that's all I care about. I also don't have a degree from there, so that part doesn't upset me either. But it makes no sense to me after millions have been spent erecting permanent signs with GRU on them, wayfaring signage, stationery costs, web/electronic development to change logos and names, apparel and other items printed with the name and logo on them...to turn around and spend just as much money for a third name change. I feel like at this point it's just a vendetta thing against Azziz (who I also don't care one way or another about) and not so much about people caring about the name. Folks just want to rinse the bad taste out of their mouths that he left.
Definitely a waste of taxpayers money although supposedly they will get donations to cover the changes. Now people who were so hung up on this name change can finally worry about something important.

OAN I would have preferred University of Augusta to Augusta University but just hope this is the end of the name changing fiasco.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:30 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
It was named to align with the surrounding states universities, i.e. Auburn University, Clemson University and so forth. It shouldn't be a surprise since the Augusta National Golf Club is known worldwide as simply Augusta.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:14 AM

119 posts, read 204,429 times
All this name changing and still no football

Old 09-15-2015, 12:49 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
University of Augusta has a better ring to it I think, but Augusta University is certainly better than GRU.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:46 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,162 times
I'm keeping my money on them not changing the name of the hospital now. Augusta University Hospital wouldn't be confusing AT ALL...

That being said...if the hospital name stays, and MCG will stay, and ASU becomes AU and all the schools of different medicines become AU School of ________... What have we actually gained in the end? We started with 3 places with 3 different names. We consolidated to GHSU...then we changed to GRU...then we end up with 3 different names again. Why not just go back to ASU, MCG and MCG Health but have them all run by the same group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: