U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 02:01 PM

6,467 posts, read 5,640,027 times

Advertisements

The dental school will be renamed the Dental College of Georgia at Augusta University...

Quote:
The change will be effective Dec. 1, the same date the university legally becomes Augusta University. The change was announced Friday in an email from President Brooks Keel to the Georgia Regents University community.
The new name addresses concerns raised by dental students that the university’s new name would not accurately reflect the college’s designation as Georgia’s only dental school.
In a Oct. 8 stor in The Augusta Chronicle, Dean Carol Lefebvre said having the state’s name reflected in the name of the dental school is particularly important for out-of-state students, who expressed concern that people would not necessarily be able to identify where their school is located. However, a marketing survey taken before the university was named to GRU showed that 74 percent of those surveyed associated Augusta with Georgia.
“This particular name was proposed not only because it is an accurate reflection of the college’s singular status as the state’s only dental school – public or private – but it also aligns with the names of the university’s other units, the Medical College of Georgia and Children’s Hospital of Georgia,” Keel wrote in the email.
Dental school name to be changed | The Augusta Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 05:41 PM

1,551 posts, read 1,762,532 times
Good to hear! I always thought that was the DUMBEST name ever.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:52 PM

Enrollment is down again at AU. I'm not worried though as I believe once Brooks Keel gets everything in order over the next few years, enrollment will begin to climb....

Quote:
The University System of Georgia released the fall enrollment report Thursday after an open records request from The Augusta Chronicle. It showed a 2.3 percent decline in fall enrollment, after a 5.2 percent decline in enrollment the previous fall semester and a 5.9 percent decrease the year before that.
Overall, enrollment has declined 12.8 percent since fall 2012, according to figures obtained from the system.
Part of that has to do with students who needed more academic support being enrolled on campus in East Georgia State College, which swelled to 500 students this semester, according to the university. Another part is raising admission standards to that of a research university after consolidation, Wagner said.
“It’s just more difficult to get into Augusta University than it would have been for Au*gusta State,” he said.
But because more students are taking 15 hours a semester to keep them on track to graduate in four years, and because students pay by the credit hour, the university collected about $36.5 million for the fall semester versus a budget of $35.5 million, Wagner said.
Augusta University enrollment down but tuition up | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 11-10-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
New Parking and Transportation Director David Santaana says that's exactly what he came here to do, and he's bringing his 18 years of experience at places like Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern with him.

"I thought, you know, there's a place that needs a lot of help but it doesn't take a lot to get it up and running," Santa Ana told News 12.

He's been on the job a little over a month now and already has a two year plan.

It includes updating the parking management system, which he says is archaic. It also includes changing the zone parking style, where drivers have a permit that allows access to several lots but is first come first served, to assigning drivers one designated lot, so you're guaranteed a spot.

We also asked him if there was any plan to add more parking. According to the Master Plan there is.

"There is a new parking deck that is on the drawing board or close to being on the drawing board," Santa Ana said.

The parking deck would sit on R.A. Dent Boulevard by the dental clinic and the new housing under construction.

It would have between 1,300 and 1,500 spots.

Santa Ana said as soon as they figure out the $20 million it will take to build it, that project will be up and running possibly within the next three years.

He also mentioned that all the construction on campus displaced about 400 spots, but once the construction is done, about 250 of them will come back.

So, he tells students and staff to hang tight. He's working on it.
New Parking and Transportation Director has plan to improve parking at Augusta University

Old 11-11-2015, 06:08 AM

I don't know if I can if support this move. On one hand the university does need to increase enrollment, but on the other hand, the university does need tougher admission standards if it wants to be considered an elite research institution. I will give President Keel though the benefit of the doubt and I hope his plan works out.
Quote:
During a progress report, Keel said the goal is to boost admissions to the level of other research universities. That’s an outgrowth of the merger of the state’s medical/dental graduate school with a community college that offered open enrollment.
“Augusta State University was an open-access/open-enrollment institution. Unfortunately, its approach to enrollment management was to open the door and say, ‘Y’all come.’ Now, you all know very well you can’t manage enrollment that way, especially when you’re trying to make it a comprehensive, regional university,” he said.
The plan was to increase the minimum “freshman index” 100 points per year. It’s a combination of high school grades, SAT scores and other factors including credit for extracurricular activities.
Last year’s increase kept 86 students from attending at a time when the university’s enrollment dropped 2.3 percent. When the same number would have been blocked next fall by a further increase, Keel froze it.
The higher standards helped the school raise its graduation rate and lower the dropout rate, Keel acknowledges. The average SAT score rose, as did the percentage of non-white students, from 44 percent in 2012 to 48 percent this fall.
So the type of students who used to go to the former ASU aren’t shut out of the university, East Georgia State College began a program that allows them to take classes on the Augusta University campus and participate in its activities as if they were AU students. Ideally, they will earn an associate degree and transfer as juniors into AU.
Keel said halting the standards improvement will allow administrators to beef up recruiting, find ways to reduce dropouts further and initiate a program he started at Georgia Southern University that allows recent high school graduates who are slightly below the admissions cutoff to take a few classes over the summer. If they pass, they get admitted.
He doesn’t want to abandon the type of ASU student of the past just because of the higher standards.
Augusta University stops tougher admissions requirements | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 AM

69 posts, read 117,957 times
Hi All,
I am just wading into issues in Augusta, learning as I go, so I don't have all the info on what is going on with AU though I am trying to catch up. Just a quick thought - the powers that be might want to look to High Point University in NC as something of a model. Though it may just be a the plaything of a rich guy the University has completely transformed itself and the city, the results have been quite impressive as the University reaches out to get international students and to make a mark - the demographics seem somewhat similar with AU. Thanks,
Charles

Old 12-08-2015, 09:56 PM

2,152 posts, read 2,704,803 times
Augusta University seeks to move science, math college, change parking | Mobile Augusta

Old 12-09-2015, 10:23 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,039,169 times
There's a thread on this already:
//www.city-data.com/forum/augus...ence-math.html

Old 12-10-2015, 06:11 PM

2,152 posts, read 2,704,803 times
I know, I place it where it belong. If you look at the date AU thread was made first buddy. But thanks for the info. Please post things about AU under Augusta University thread.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:46 AM

Looks like the Cancer Center expansion is finally moving forward. The site plan was submitted to the Augusta Planning Commission on 12/31/15.
Planning & Zoning - Project Search Details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or