Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 04:19 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times

Advertisements

At this point, this is overkill. You not only have the Walmart supercenter at Gateway, you have a Kroger Marketplace, Food Lion and this proposed Wal-Mart neighborhood store that will all be within a few miles of each other. If anything I wish Publix would come. Lewiston Rd/Horizon South Parkway/SR 388 is going to be a nightmare for traffic.

Quote:
The development with Walmart will be done in two phases.

“Phase 1 will include a new grocery store and a fuel station. And phase two will have more of a mix-use of commercial restaurants, retail office and the like,” Neal says.

Making space for the new shopping center required clearing 25 acres of land. It will also take over the corner shopping center.

Owners of the store and property said off camera they are happy about the second-area Walmart and have already found a new location in Thomson.

Fr the city this is bringing in big bucks. “We are talking multi-million investments that are being made into the community right now. I think it’s gong to be a major impact on our economy and it’s the type of development we like to come see in Grovetown,” Neal adds.

Grovetown city planners say dirt will start moving in 30 to 60 days.
Another Walmart coming to Grovetown | NBC26.tv
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:26 PM

220 posts, read 217,655 times
I think its a pretty good idea especially with that amount of housing that continues to go up in this area, nothing wrong with having a little variety. But I do like your Idea of a Publix maybe they will put one at Columbia Rd and William Few. Not to sure how much longer the Food Lion in Grovetown will last so it may be a one for one swap.

Last edited by Eastclevelandguy; 10-13-2015 at 09:56 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 09:52 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times
I can see your point, I guess I'm still kinda surprised that Wal-Mart would decide to build a neighborhood market store so close to a supercenter. On another note, I wonder when will Columbia County actually start attracting a regional retail development like the Forum at Peachtree Parkway in Peachtree Corners. I mean its nice to see neighborhood retail developments coming to the area, but I would like to see department stores coming to the area.

BTW, I could definitely see Publix coming to the proposed retail center at Columbia and William Few. I also don't see the Food Lion hanging around much longer.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:01 PM

220 posts, read 217,655 times
That type of development would be a game changer for the area and something I would love to see. I also don't understand the logic of Walmart buy hey you can take those types of chances when you have 85 Billions dollars laying around.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Where on Wrightsboro Road would Walmart Neighborhood Market locate?

Food Lion #1446, Grovetown Crossings, 806 Lewiston Road, Grovetown, Georgia 30813-3037, would see a quick decline against a Walmart Neighborhood Market. Walmart Neighborhood Market stores are usually easier, fresher and more affordable.

I would also look out for the Walmart Neighborhood Market planned in Thomason.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 PM

423 posts, read 447,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Where on Wrightsboro Road would Walmart Neighborhood Market locate?

Food Lion #1446, Grovetown Crossings, 806 Lewiston Road, Grovetown, Georgia 30813-3037, would see a quick decline against a Walmart Neighborhood Market. Walmart Neighborhood Market stores are usually easier, fresher and more affordable.

I would also look out for the Walmart Neighborhood Market planned in Thomason.
I could be wrong but based on the rendering I am thinking they are looking to build it right at the corner across from the AM PM that opened up where the old IGA used to be which probably means all those trailers will be going away when they do phase 2.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:47 AM

351 posts, read 884,003 times
What is planned in Thomson according to this article?I didn't quite understand what is meant by they have already found another location in Thomson?

Old 10-14-2015, 06:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadog View Post
What is planned in Thomson according to this article?I didn't quite understand what is meant by they have already found another location in Thomson?
The repair shop on the corner across from the old IGA is the one planning on relocating. Walmart needed their half acre to complete the site.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cst8670 View Post
I could be wrong but based on the rendering I am thinking they are looking to build it right at the corner across from the AM PM that opened up where the old IGA used to be which probably means all those trailers will be going away when they do phase 2.
I agree. The turn in Wrightsboro Road initially threw me off. The site plan matches up with the northeast corner of Wrightsboro Road, Harlem Grovetown Road and West Robinson Avenue.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:13 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,174,479 times
I was just thinking to myself a month ago that that is a prime piece of property for a retail development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area