Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:56 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,170,659 times

Advertisements

This project is slated for William Few Pkwy and Columbia Road. It would include a 60,000 sq ft grocery store, plus an additional 50,000 sq ft of retail space for a grand total of 110,000 sq ft. According to the developer it would be "upscale". My guess is that the grocery store might be Publix, since the Kroger Marketplace is being built a few miles down the road.

Quote:
A rezoning request for a grocery-anchored center with restaurant and retail space at the corner of William Few Parkway and Columbia Road in Evans is going before Columbia County planning commissioners Sept. 3. The wooded 21-acre parcel is adjacent to Patriots Park.
The preliminary zoning plan shows a 60,000-square-foot grocer anchoring the center, which would also include more than 50,000 square feet of retail space and five out-parcels fronting the intersection.
“That is a footprint, which we’ll probably use,” said Oliver Owens, who is representing the out-of-town property owners at the rezoning hearing. Owens, who has a background in construction lending, said he and the owners will likely work with local developers to put together the project.
Owens said it was too early to give names of prospective tenants but that the center would be “upscale” and target a national chain grocery store and a mix of retail and restaurants, one or two of which would be “first class.”
Owens said they would like to start marketing the property after the first of the year. First, he said, the property must be rezoned from residential agricultural to general commercial.
The final rezoning decision will come from the county commission later in September.
Owens said the surrounding area’s growth makes commercial development there feasible.
“It’s got a lot of potential in the future,” he said. “Any time your big box people come in they go by rooftops. You have to have enough rooftops in the area to justify it.”
The same property owners have about 300 acres on the opposite side of William Few Parkway, with long-range plans of developing the land into “upscale housing,” Owens said.
More commercial development slated for Columbia County | The Augusta Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 PM

423 posts, read 448,370 times
Thats actually very possible and it would be a good location for them really, not as good as over near Gate 2 would but its still its a good location.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:45 PM

With all of the residential and commercial growth along William Few Pkwy it needs to be at least 4 lanes.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:51 PM

I agree but the problem is I dont think they will do it any time soon since it seems to only get packed during the morning and afternoon rush hour, maybe they will consider it after they get done with the widening work on Washington Road out towards Riverwood.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
This project is slated for William Few Pkwy and Columbia Road. It would include a 60,000 sq ft grocery store, plus an additional 50,000 sq ft of retail space for a grand total of 110,000 sq ft. According to the developer it would be "upscale". My guess is that the grocery store might be Publix, since the Kroger Marketplace is being built a few miles down the road.

More commercial development slated for Columbia County | The Augusta Chronicle
Sixty thousand square feet would be a large Publix store indeed. If the conceptual site plan features the grocery tenant with a pharmacy drive through, it would most likely be Publix.

I do not think Food Lion #2143, 5157 Columbia Road, Grovetown, Georgia 30813-5206, would last if Publix opens.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 PM

Carolina Knight, at this point I really don't see how Food Lion can stay in business. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Food Lion pulled out of the market in 5 years.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Carolina Knight, at this point I really don't see how Food Lion can stay in business. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Food Lion pulled out of the market in 5 years.
The same could be said for Bi-Lo. Both chains are struggling in the Central Savannah River Area against Kroger, Publix, and Walmart, chains that are in growth mode.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:38 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,113,258 times
This property more than likely would have a Grovetown address instead of Evans.. It's outside the city limits of Grovetown, but I believe the neighborhoods have a Grovetown address.

William Few Parkway is pretty dead after rush hour and the only commercial development at the moment is the Kroger shopping center. This property is all the way on the other end of William Few near the intersection of Columbia road.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Sixty thousand square feet would be a large Publix store indeed. If the conceptual site plan features the grocery tenant with a pharmacy drive through, it would most likely be Publix.

I do not think Food Lion #2143, 5157 Columbia Road, Grovetown, Georgia 30813-5206, would last if Publix opens.
I will be shocked if either of the two Food Lion survive after the Krogers opens.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The same could be said for Bi-Lo. Both chains are struggling in the Central Savannah River Area against Kroger, Publix, and Walmart, chains that are in growth mode.
Bi-Lo is probably even in a worse position because right now the parent company Food Lion is merging with another big company and combined they might be able to recover down the road.
Bi-Lo though just sold all its stores in Tennessee and pulled out of there not to mention they are having alot of issues with employee morale being in the toilet since they fired alot of their full timers to switch over to running more of their stores with part timers.

Last edited by cst8670; 08-27-2015 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area