Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 PM

180 posts, read 157,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
17 stories? I'm optimistic concerning the future of Augusta, but 7-12 stories is probably more realistic.
Can't argue that lol.... Wait, wasn't the watermark 19 stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,013,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_4_augusta View Post
Can't argue that lol.... Wait, wasn't the watermark 19 stories?
I believe the first proposal was 18 stories and then quickly became two 8-12 story buildings..

Old 01-31-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I believe the first proposal was 18 stories and then quickly became two 8-12 story buildings..
Yes, that sounds right. So what is it? Can Augusta not handle anything over 8-12 stories? If we want to grow this skyline, I say build for growth. If we can fill up a 12 story building, then lets build a 16 story building and grow in it. I can tell that I wouldn't be a good asset to the planning and development authority in Augusta.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,399,984 times
Quote:
Yes, that sounds right. So what is it? Can Augusta not handle anything over 8-12 stories? If we want to grow this skyline, I say build for growth. If we can fill up a 12 story building, then lets build a 16 story building and grow in it. I can tell that I wouldn't be a good asset to the planning and development authority in Augusta.
How many stories is Port Royal? Or River Place or whatever it's called today. I'd say that's a decent example. Its condos still have issues remaining fully occupied, and the only reason they are to the extent they currently are is because prices were dramatically slashed to get people into them.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:21 AM

212 posts, read 237,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
How many stories is Port Royal? Or River Place or whatever it's called today. I'd say that's a decent example. Its condos still have issues remaining fully occupied, and the only reason they are to the extent they currently are is because prices were dramatically slashed to get people into them.
All sources I've seen, plus the counting I've done, point to 18--- I believe it breaks down as 14 stories of condos, 2 stories for parking, and 2 stories for Unisys. Not 100% sure about that, so if anyone has more reliable breakdown numbers please correct me. The name has always been confusing--it is presently River Place Condoniums, but it was planned as "Port Royal on the Savannah." Another fun fact--it was supposed to include two 14-story towers, but only 1 was built

Old 01-31-2017, 02:55 PM

212 posts, read 237,337 times
Personally, I think Augusta could handle a new high rise

Old 02-01-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2401 View Post
Personally, I think Augusta could handle a new high rise
Exactly, of course I wouldn't start with condos and high priced apartments, but definitely a high rise apartment or high rise student apartment would fill up and quickly. Us millenials seek the "urban" life and I promise you if they build it, we would surely come. The interesting thing also, is that a lot of baby boomers are selling or renting out their homes and moving into apartments. This could definitely be a renaissance for DT if done correctly!

Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Exactly, of course I wouldn't start with condos and high priced apartments, but definitely a high rise apartment or high rise student apartment would fill up and quickly. Us millenials seek the "urban" life and I promise you if they build it, we would surely come. The interesting thing also, is that a lot of baby boomers are selling or renting out their homes and moving into apartments. This could definitely be a renaissance for DT if done correctly!
The train depot site will have to become high priced apartments based on the location. Canalside on Walton Way ranges between $900 to over $1400..

Apartments targeting students may stay closer to the Medical District for right now. The Foundry Place mixed-use development is across the street from AU's new dorms. Probably need for the Cyber training building on AU's riverfront campus before private developers build large student housing in the CBD.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
The train depot site will have to become high priced apartments based on the location. Canalside on Walton Way ranges between $900 to over $1400..

Apartments targeting students may stay closer to the Medical District for right now. The Foundry Place mixed-use development is across the street from AU's new dorms. Probably need for the Cyber training building on AU's riverfront campus before private developers build large student housing in the CBD.
Idk why I thought the Foundry Place project was going up closer to laney Walker.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Idk why I thought the Foundry Place project was going up closer to laney Walker.
Right by Wrightsboro road and RA Dent Boulevard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area