Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Well one possible scenario could involve the remaining business moving from Windsor plaza to phase 2 of the Walmart center and then Kroger tearing down Windsor plaza and building from scratch. Just a thought. Probably not likely
Does Windsor Plaza remain a desirable location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 09:31 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
That intersection in general is desirable due to the amount of businesses that have opened up or about to open in the last couple of years however I'm not sure how desirable it would be for a grocery store with 2 already at the intersection. That's why I'm thinking this phase 2 is for other businesses.

Kroger seems to have a much higher standard for the amount of business they need to keep a location open because to be honest the one on Deans Bridge did good business compared to other grocery stores who remained open for years with much less business. (several food lions come to mind) If they had a lease (not sure what there arrangements were) they may have decided not to renew because they were planning on relocating. All of this is just my speculation, I hadn't heard anything myself.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:47 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Does Windsor Plaza remain a desirable location?
It's directly across the street from the Market at Windsor Spring phase 1 and eventually phase 2. The plaza itself is old and will have to be demolished or undergo an major remodeling effort.

Quote:
That intersection in general is desirable due to the amount of businesses that have opened up or about to open in the last couple of years however I'm not sure how desirable it would be for a grocery store with 2 already at the intersection. That's why I'm thinking this phase 2 is for other businesses.

Kroger seems to have a much higher standard for the amount of business they need to keep a location open because to be honest the one on Deans Bridge did good business compared to other grocery stores who remained open for years with much less business. (several food lions come to mind) If they had a lease (not sure what there arrangements were) they may have decided not to renew because they were planning on relocating. All of this is just my speculation, I hadn't heard anything myself.
The majority of new housing growth(Diamond Lakes, Willis Foreman rd, Brown rd, etc) and disposable income in South Augusta is nearby. The area could support three grocery stores.

Food Lion is struggling nationwide. They've closed the Wrightsboro rd store and three locations in Columbia County in the last few years.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:57 PM
PJA

The area could definitely support another grocery store. The question is do they want to locate at that intersection where there are already 2 when there's plenty of land on tobacco, Windsor spring and even around the peach orchard and tobacco rd area where they could build and not be so close to competition.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:32 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,098,266 times
Sometimes it's better to locate near the competition. Burger King/Mcdonalds or CVS/Walgreens are two perfect examples..

Many grocery stores like to be near their competition. Washington road in West Augusta offers Publix, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Kroger, and Lidl coming soon in one tiny area.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:20 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Sometimes it's better to locate near the competition. Burger King/Mcdonalds or CVS/Walgreens are two perfect examples..

Many grocery stores like to be near their competition. Washington road in West Augusta offers Publix, Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Kroger, and Lidl coming soon in one tiny area.
A. They're not all at the same intersection and B). Washington road has way more traffic and that area has more people. You really can't compare Washington to tobacco or Windsor spring rd

Old 06-10-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I thought Bi-Lo #5560, Southgate Plaza, 1631 Gordon Highway, Augusta, Georgia 30906-2219, would be the next supermarket to leave its trade area before its competitor, Kroger #237 (GA-237/01100237), Market Place, 3128 Dean's Bridge Road, Augusta, Georgia 30906-3371, did.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
It's directly across the street from the Market at Windsor Spring phase 1 and eventually phase 2. The plaza itself is old and will have to be demolished or undergo an major remodeling effort.
Demolition could be the quickest and less expensive way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy
Food Lion is struggling nationwide. They've closed the Wrightsboro rd store and three locations in Columbia County in the last few years.
Both Food Lion and Bi-Lo are struggling. Food Lion would have to undergo significant improvements after Ahold's acquisition of Food Lion's parent company, Delhaize, finalized. That should be occurring soon. Bi-Lo is in the process of closing some stores in North Carolina, northeastern South Carolina, and southeastern Georgia. I would not be surprised to see it exit those markets.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:50 PM

423 posts, read 447,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Demolition could be the quickest and less expensive way to go.

Both Food Lion and Bi-Lo are struggling. Food Lion would have to undergo significant improvements after Ahold's acquisition of Food Lion's parent company, Delhaize, finalized. That should be occurring soon. Bi-Lo is in the process of closing some stores in North Carolina, northeastern South Carolina, and southeastern Georgia. I would not be surprised to see it exit those markets.
Yes both are still closing stores but they might be able to make a comeback especially since Walmart is stopping it price matching,

Old 06-11-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst8670 View Post
Yes both are still closing stores but they might be able to make a comeback especially since Walmart is stopping it price matching,
I do not see either chain making any significant comeback. Both supermarkets have been severely decimated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area