Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 12,390 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to augusta ga in about 5 months with my wife and 3 kids. We need some information on the nice areas in augusta. My kids are in highschool and they had friends of all races at their old school. So a neighborhood or area where there is some diversity would be great for us. Our price range is about 300k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 04:00 PM

661 posts, read 2,888,034 times
You'll probably get five different responses from five different people. The best thing you could do is come for three or four days and get a feel for which areas you prefer.

Having raised two children here, I'd have to suggest Columbia County. That's my own personal opinion, no flaming please. You may find you like west Augusta just as well. That's where your recon trip comes in. Come for a few days, get a good local map, and see what area suits your needs.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 PM

12 posts, read 35,054 times
Default Also Consider Summerville

While you're looking around, make sure to take a look in Summerville, also known as "The Hill". Walton Way runs right through it, and it's bordered by Heard Avenue in the east and Highland Avenue in the west. It's very historically important to Augusta, and several U.S. Presidents have been guests of Summerville residents over the years. The zoned school is the Academy of Richmond County, called "Richmond" or "ARC". It is unique in that it has an International Baccalaureate (IB) Program that is more than just a College Preparatory Curriculum. If you live anywhere in Richmond County, your children are elligible to attend the two magnet schools: John S. Davidson Fine Arts Magnet School and A.R. Johnson Health Sciences and Engineering Magnet School. Davidson has consistently been ranked the #1 high school in the state for 13 years. Johnson is in the top 5 as well. Entry into Davidson is by audition in each area of the fine arts. You don't have to be artistically talented, but you have to show an interest in pursuing study in the fine arts. Johnson provides its students with hands-on clinical experience in the health sciences and opportunities to study real-world engineering problems. All of these schools will offer your kids great experiences, diversity and the opportunity to earn their way into a great college.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:14 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,018,809 times
I ditto The Hill.
Forest Hills, Monte Sano Ave, Highland Ave, areas around Augusta State University are all very nice..
ARC is not the best high school in the county.. but its not the worst either..
As others mentioned, there is the possibilty that your kids could get admitted to John S Davidson or AR Johnson Magnet schools.. those are the best schools in the county.. but you have to meet eligibility requirements and and there is an affirmative action quota system in place. The Hill area probably has the most charm and history of any part of Augusta.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 PM

78 posts, read 98,706 times
West Augusta, and Martinez are good options.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,424 times
the post about Monte Sano Ave and Highland Ave and areas around Augusta State is right. The area is beautiful, but it's in Richmond Co. school district, and you'll definitely want to get the kids into one of the magnet schools if you go that route. Otherwise, your very best option (in my opinion, having had my kids in both Richmond and Columbia Co. schools) is to look in Evans or maybe Martinez. Those cites are zoned for Columbia County schools. I've been very happy with both the Elementary and the Middle schools, and have many friends with kids in the High schools. All good! Lots of great neighborhoods along Hardy Mcmanus Rd. and William Few, and they are really close to the schools!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,064 times
ARC has gangs............. ya just need to tell those people!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:22 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,025,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth007 View Post
ARC has gangs............. ya just need to tell those people!!!
Troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: