Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:58 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the new name will be

Quote:
“When you see that action being taken at Yale University normally start a Tsunami and probably in any other places South Carolina or Georgia it does begin the address that issue and revisit that and see if you want to remain with that name,” says Commissioner Ben Hasan.

And being they type of individual that Mr. Calhoun was it would be only fair and right that we think about renaming it for someone who is a little more positive for our community,” says Commissioner Dennis Williams.

But some commissioners are doing more than just thinking about changing the name.

“I’m working on that as we speak, yeah,” says Commissioner Bill Fennoy.

“How come?”

“You just said it can you imagine being in a Jewish community and a street being named after Adolph Hitler,” said Commissioner Fennoy.
Commissioner working on changing name of Calhoun Expressway | WJBF-TV

Last edited by Airforceguy; 02-16-2017 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 10:04 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
This is just ridiculous. It's already bad enough that one road will change names about 5 times along its route.. now this?

Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
This is just ridiculous. It's already bad enough that one road will change names about 5 times along its route.. now this?
I don't see what's so ridiculous about changing the name especially since it's named after such a staunch supporter of slavery and who has such a negative image. Jmo

Old 02-16-2017, 11:02 AM

well George Walton owned slaves. So did JOhn Milledge. Shall we rename those roads too? What about Washington Road? It was named after George Washington, who owned slaves. Where does it stop? This highway has had this name for over 40 years. leave it be. I can understand if this was a new road.. bt it has been around for decades. I would say in the future stop naming roads after people period because someone is always going to get offended.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:21 AM

180 posts, read 158,916 times
Not really too surprised actually! Augusta is just finally catching up with the "name changing" epidemic that has plagued Atlanta for years. It seems like every other 3rd Tuesday a name is changing in the "A". On a more personal note however, it does seem like the more "political" or actually, "right" thing to do by changing the names of streets that have a historically negative connotation to them. Augusta's goal personally I feel should be to give these streets a name that would support, promote, and enhance the overall national image of the city. For example, give the major streets and entrance ways into the city a name after certain golf players or areas of the Augusta National: Clifford Rogers Blvd, Nelson Bridge Highway, Amen Corner Expressway,Rae's- Eisenhower Drive, Flowering Peachtree Road, etc. I know that these are horrible names, but you guys get the drift lol. Overall the message is to turn from the archaic traditional views, and embrace new, edgy, innovative outlooks.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:33 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
well George Walton owned slaves. So did JOhn Milledge. Shall we rename those roads too? What about Washington Road? It was named after George Washington, who owned slaves. Where does it stop? This highway has had this name for over 40 years. leave it be. I can understand if this was a new road.. bt it has been around for decades. I would say in the future stop naming roads after people period because someone is always going to get offended.
They don't really have a negative image as compared to Calhoun although I wouldn't be opposed to them changing those names too. I really don't care one way or the other, I just don't have a problem with them changing it. I do agree it's safer to not name them after anyone especially political figures.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM

120 posts, read 154,897 times
I appreciate the fact, and generally agree with the proposition that no matter whose name appears on the bridge, road, building etcetera, there's a strong possibility someone will be offended. Unfortunately, these are the times in which we live. It should be acknowledged, however, that America's history...and the South's in particular...is fraught with painful reminders of
figures and times that should and do make us uncomfortable. Certain figures and certain times serve as a lighting rod for those uncomfortable memories. The Civil War and slavery come to mind immediately as two of the most tragic and painful chapters of American history...and invoke deep feelings of pain, no matter one's perspective.
I don't honestly believe that owning slaves immediately disqualifies one from modern day reverence or even having a bridge, road or building named after you. I doubt seriously that America or Americans will ever turn their collective backs on George Washington or Thomas Jefferson...George Walton or John Milledge...certainly not at numbers even approaching microscopic.
But John C. is most certainly in a different category than those mentioned above...certainly different than "just" a slave owner. He was an enthusiastic and vocal proponent of slavery. While many at the time argued slavery was a "necessary evil" in defense of the South's agrarian way, Calhoun argued it was a "positive good." While many fought to keep slavery legal, but confined to those states practicing it, Calhoun argued for its spread to the Western territories. He argued against Henry Clay...when Clay made the argument that everyone could agree that slavery was wrong, even if we weren't all in agreement on the remedy of what to do about it.
Additionally, by most accounts, Calhoun was the leading intellectual voice behind secession and gave the moral and intellectual support system of what would become the Confederacy. He was, for better or worse (often at the same time) against democracy...majority rule...and natural rights...and therefore subject to a much closer scrutiny than simply "slave holder." He was a brilliant man, of that, there is no doubt. He had immense intellect and was one of the more prominent statesman of the 19th century...possibly of all time. BUT, his was a vision that has been repudiated with time. The ideas he championed and held most dearly...and for which he is best known...have been relegated to the trash bin of history. I don't want the John C. Calhoun Expressway renamed because he owned slaves. I want the John C. Calhoun Expressway renamed because of his intellectual justification of slavery and the Confederacy...his intransigence and general lack of moderation at key moments in our Nation's history, when moderation and thoughtfulness were most in need...because he not only owned slaves and wanted others to share in that "right," but because his ideas served as the framework and support that almost led to the break up of this nation and ultimately led to the horrors that we call the Civil War. That, for me, is enough to look to other names for this expressway. Times change...as do (fortunately) values and morals. Bridges, buildings and roads change names over time as well...as communities change...evolving along with the aforementioned values and morals. This has been true since the beginning of time...and will continue unabated, as long as there are future generations to come.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:52 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCitySoul View Post
I appreciate the fact, and generally agree with the proposition that no matter whose name appears on the bridge, road, building etcetera, there's a strong possibility someone will be offended. Unfortunately, these are the times in which we live. It should be acknowledged, however, that America's history...and the South's in particular...is fraught with painful reminders of
figures and times that should and do make us uncomfortable. Certain figures and certain times serve as a lighting rod for those uncomfortable memories. The Civil War and slavery come to mind immediately as two of the most tragic and painful chapters of American history...and invoke deep feelings of pain, no matter one's perspective.
I don't honestly believe that owning slaves immediately disqualifies one from modern day reverence or even having a bridge, road or building named after you. I doubt seriously that America or Americans will ever turn their collective backs on George Washington or Thomas Jefferson...George Walton or John Milledge...certainly not at numbers even approaching microscopic.
But John C. is most certainly in a different category than those mentioned above...certainly different than "just" a slave owner. He was an enthusiastic and vocal proponent of slavery. While many at the time argued slavery was a "necessary evil" in defense of the South's agrarian way, Calhoun argued it was a "positive good." While many fought to keep slavery legal, but confined to those states practicing it, Calhoun argued for its spread to the Western territories. He argued against Henry Clay...when Clay made the argument that everyone could agree that slavery was wrong, even if we weren't all in agreement on the remedy of what to do about it.
Additionally, by most accounts, Calhoun was the leading intellectual voice behind secession and gave the moral and intellectual support system of what would become the Confederacy. He was, for better or worse (often at the same time) against democracy...majority rule...and natural rights...and therefore subject to a much closer scrutiny than simply "slave holder." He was a brilliant man, of that, there is no doubt. He had immense intellect and was one of the more prominent statesman of the 19th century...possibly of all time. BUT, his was a vision that has been repudiated with time. The ideas he championed and held most dearly...and for which he is best known...have been relegated to the trash bin of history. I don't want the John C. Calhoun Expressway renamed because he owned slaves. I want the John C. Calhoun Expressway renamed because of his intellectual justification of slavery and the Confederacy...his intransigence and general lack of moderation at key moments in our Nation's history, when moderation and thoughtfulness were most in need...because he not only owned slaves and wanted others to share in that "right," but because his ideas served as the framework and support that almost led to the break up of this nation and ultimately led to the horrors that we call the Civil War. That, for me, is enough to look to other names for this expressway. Times change...as do (fortunately) values and morals. Bridges, buildings and roads change names over time as well...as communities change...evolving along with the aforementioned values and morals. This has been true since the beginning of time...and will continue unabated, as long as there are future generations to come.
Great post!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:39 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
Support limited for renaming Augusta

Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 PM

It would need unanimous approval by the commission and then a resolution by the General Assembly. It's not going to happen. Already several commissioners have voiced opposition the the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area