Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 07:09 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
For about a year and a half, the Downtown Development Authority has been working on a development plan for the old train depot site at Sixth and Reynolds Streets

The project is has not been announced but on Monday Mayor Hardie Davis called it the largest single project in the history of downtown.

It’s expected to include housing, a parking deck and more.

“It will be mixed use but it will be unlike anything brought before us the largest private deal in the history of Augusta we need to put all of resources and thoughts to that, said Commissioner Sean Frantom.
Major downtown development coming | WJBF-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 08:14 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,698 times
Reason number 10,001 why it’s absurd to move the arena from downtown... stuff like this won’t happen on Gordon Highway to prop up an arena or surrounding area. Painful truth.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:22 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
Reason number 10,001 why it’s absurd to move the arena from downtown... stuff like this won’t happen on Gordon Highway to prop up an arena or surrounding area. Painful truth.
I have to disagree. For most of the time the JBA is an empty building surrounded by an empty parking lot. I can think of much better uses for that land than an arena that sits fallow most of the time. How about put it on the market (like the depot) and attract a private development that would actually produce tax revenue? How about a mixed-use devlopment including apartments, restaurants and a " grocery store"? The civic center has been down there for nearly 40 years and in that time it has had virtually no impact on its surrounding area. I doubt downtown would suffer if the arena is moved elsewhere and that property is put to more profitable use.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
sorry, but I am gonna go all Oklahoma on this and say "SHOW ME!"... we have heard too many times how this parcel was going to be developed into something "fantastic" just to hear later that "the deal fell through" or "the market just isn't right" or "we couldnt secure financing" and then nothing materializes. I hope this time is different but I am not holding my breath. I also don't understand the purpose of these "teaser" news reports... there is n information here about what this development is and who is behind it and when it is expected to happen... just a lot of question marks. It seems like they could just wait until they have all their ducks in a row and make the big announcement with details instead of these vague "something big is coming... but we just can't tell you what it is yet."

Old 11-12-2017, 11:52 AM

568 posts, read 698,627 times
Paging Matt Kwatinetz.... please report to the Hale Street Gate... George Eskola is waiting... That is all

Old 11-12-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pu239 View Post
Paging Matt Kwatinetz.... please report to the Hale Street Gate... George Eskola is waiting... That is all
Good memory.. yeah whatever happened to him?
I seem to remember he was working on some BIG development at that same site 4 or 5 years ago.. and because George Eskola dared to ask for details, Kwatinetz shot back "You're gonna screw up this deal!".. Seems like Kwatinetz was all talk and no action. He talked a big game but couldn't deliver on his big promises

Old 11-13-2017, 01:58 PM

568 posts, read 698,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Good memory.. yeah whatever happened to him?
I seem to remember he was working on some BIG development at that same site 4 or 5 years ago.. and because George Eskola dared to ask for details, Kwatinetz shot back "You're gonna screw up this deal!".. Seems like Kwatinetz was all talk and no action. He talked a big game but couldn't deliver on his big promises

Yes sir.... It looks like he has moved on... unless he messed with Marie Laveau....

Old 11-14-2017, 05:55 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times
We are finally getting some details. It will be a $93 million project featuring retail, office and residential space. Plus a parking deck.
Quote:
The Augusta Commission authorized a $93 million mixed-use development by an unnamed developer to go at the city-owned waterfront depot property at 511 Reynolds St., with $14 million in public financing to come from the Downtown Development Authority issuing bonds.

The announcement came after a lengthy closed-door session Tuesday.

Commissioner Bill Fennoy’s motion was for the commission to approve “the DDA development concept” for a $93 million mixed-use project, subject to a preliminary development agreement, and to authorize an intergovernmental agreement with the DDA to issue the bonds. It passed unanimously.

Several commissioners named a variety of uses in the concept for the six-acre site, which features a historic railroad depot, including offices, apartments, retail and a parking deck.
Commission OKs $93 million riverfront development concept | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 11-15-2017, 10:14 AM

614 posts, read 1,101,317 times
Let me know when they break ground.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Still no details. Who is the developer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: