Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:40 PM

12 posts, read 22,178 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We're currently living in Miami, FL and the traffic has gotten so bad (1 hour+ commutes) that we're looking to get out of this city/state at least in the next year or perhaps even sooner. The reason we're looking at Augusta, GA is because my wife's job actually has an office there and it would be an easy transition for her (cost of living is much better than in Miami as well). However, I work in cyber security as an engineer and was curious about the prospects of finding good work in the area?

Also, what areas are considered safe? We're planning on starting a family, so good schools would be a plus. I've lived in Miami my whole life, I'm Cuban-American, and my wife is Peruvian-American. Do you think there would be much of a 'culture shock' moving from a city like Miami to Augusta?

Thanks!

Last edited by CSE1982; 08-25-2017 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Added cost of living reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:38 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,919 times
YOu will find housing prices much cheaper here than Miami. You will find most of you upper middle class neighborhoods in Evans in Columbia County. If good public schools are important to you then you will probably want to consider Columbia County and specifically the Evans area. Columbia County has seen the most growth any other county in the metro area. Because of this the roads are trying to catch up to all the growth, so there are some traffic snarls.. but I would think it would pale in comparison to what you are accustomed to in Miami. As for diversity, I think you will be pleasantly surprised how diverse this area is especially the growing areas of Columbia County. There is a large military base here that is growing because of the Army Cyber command being relocated here, so you have lots of people from all sorts of backgrounds moving here from all over. The Augusta area also has a very large medical community. Evans has a pretty large South Asian population because of this... but you will find people from all over. I am glad to say we have been getting lots of new ethnic restaurants in recent years because of all the growth. I believe there is even a Peruvian restaurant somewhere. But you will also find Thai, Indian, Pakistani, Vietnamese, KOrean, Japanese, Turkish, Lebanese, German, and TONS of mexican and Tex mex restaurants.

As for culture shock, I dont think you will have too much of a problem. Just be aware this is a much smaller metro area than Miami. There is no large tourism economy here.. but you are oly about a 3 hours drive to some nice beaches on teh SC and GA coast. ATlanta is also just a 2 hours drive if you need to experience the big city scene. Now be aware this area is very conservative politically, especially Columbia County.. not sure if that would be an issue here but I feel like most everyone is made to feel welcome. Depending on where your office is located, North Augusta, SC is also a nice option to consider.
Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, just ask, I am sure somebody on here can answer them for you.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:48 AM

Thank you for the reply! Her office is located on flowing wells road right off I-20 and seems easy to reach in about 15 minutes from most places. As far as Columbia County being very conservative, it's not really an issue as I'm in the center with conservative leanings. I'm more concerned with good schools, low crime rate, and a good community with things to do.

Do you happen to know where the new developments are in the Evans area? If anything, we'd be more inclined to purchase a new home if it came down to it. Anything under $250k.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 15,108 times
Columbia County is conservative to such an extreme that bars aren't allowed there.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:25 PM

178 posts, read 145,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSE1982 View Post
Thank you for the reply! Her office is located on flowing wells road right off I-20 and seems easy to reach in about 15 minutes from most places. As far as Columbia County being very conservative, it's not really an issue as I'm in the center with conservative leanings. I'm more concerned with good schools, low crime rate, and a good community with things to do.

Do you happen to know where the new developments are in the Evans area? If anything, we'd be more inclined to purchase a new home if it came down to it. Anything under $250k.
While I dont think you will have a problem in Augusta I think the other poster might be down playing the culture shock .I mean in that its a much smaller metro lacking many big city amenities.
Yet its not that bad as this is a city that is growing and getting mroe and more of those things as it grows,

Yes there is diversity but a lot of times you have to search for it.For instance there maybe one Peruvian restaurant but it would be hard to find another and the quality may be far less than what you are used too.

Being that you are Peruvian/Cuban American but you lean in the center,you should adjust well but of you were more liberal ,you would hate it.

Ive learned alot from visting family there and the things Ive heard from them,They love it and live in Evans.There kids all went to good schools and one just got a full scholarship to Duke She will be graduating early from the 11grade this year.

very nice homes and communities in Evans

Old 08-27-2017, 09:47 AM

If your office is at Flowing Wells at I20 then Evans is yur best bet.. or you could consider the growing Grovetown area.
asfor culture shock.. like I said this is not Miami. It is a much smaller metro area around 500K. It's not going to be as diverse expecially in regards to the latino/hispanic population. That is a fact. However its not like you will be stepping into some backwoods Deliverance type landscape. Columbia County is growing and rather affluent.. its like most any upper middle class suburb you will find in any large city. Lots of well educated professionals and military folks. Now the political climate is very conservative and I understand that can be a problem for some people who identify as liberal/progressive.
AS for bars, there are plenty of bars in Columbia county, they just have to be parts of restaurants. Butthe other commenter made it sound lke this is a dry county which could not be further from the truth.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:28 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,065 times
Where are you Nortonguy? Everyone is being referred to CC. Why has no one mentioned West Augusta? Has the National Hills area gone downhill? Or even the Bel Air Subdivision off Jimmie Dyess? Or Conifer Place off of Wheeler Rd or Walton Way. Columbia County ain't the only place. Folks please stop this. At least be honest about ALL available areas.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 AM

well considering their job is at I20 and Flowing Wells and good schools are important to them then it sound like Columbia County is teh natural choice. Its getting harder and harder to find good public schools in Richmond County.. even in WEst Augusta. Just do a comparison on school digger. Yes there are the magnet schools downtown but theya re not a guarantee. Also, isn't that area referred to as North Richmond by our favorite Augusta cheerleader?

Old 08-28-2017, 11:42 AM

Is there much to do in Grovetown? How are the schools there? I can see that there's a lot of development going on with all the different home builders in the area.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Grovetown is probably the fastest growing area in metro Augusta. BUt there are two Grovetowns. There is the city of Grovetown.. which I franlly would not recommend.. and the larger Grovetown zip code area.. which I would recommend. LOts of new home construction out that way (I am a bit partial to the area because that is where I live).. you have easy access to I20 so would be a short commute to Flowing wells. They are building lots of new restaurants and retail off Lewiston RD/Horizon South Pkwy exit.. that is going to be your main corridor for Grovetown. WE have a huge Kroger Marketplace that opened not too long ago.. a Walmart super center and numerous restaurants that have opened in recent months. YOu can also easily get to Evans via Hereford Farm Rd. SChools in our area of Grovetown are very good. WE live in the massive Canterbury Farms development off Chamblin Rd. There are also many nice subdivisions off William Few Pky. Patriots Park is nearby with lot fo athletic fields and outdoor activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area