Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,100,025 times

Advertisements

Not a surprise. Most in the states think of Atlanta and next Savannah.

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...it-every-state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 09:37 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Not a surprise. Most in the states think of Atlanta and next Savannah.
Those two cities are also the most interesting, by a mile.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Those two cities are also the most interesting, by a mile.
Not if you ask people from overseas about Georgia. Impossible to be curious about Savannah when you didn't know it existed.

The Masters, MCG, James Brown, etc has created a larger international recognition for Augusta.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:33 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,225 times
Yet they receive more visitors.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:43 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Not if you ask people from overseas about Georgia. Impossible to be curious about Savannah when you didn't know it existed.

The Masters, MCG, James Brown, etc has created a larger international recognition for Augusta.
Debatable but even if true, it wouldn't mean they think Augusta is among the two most interesting cities in the state. They simply wouldn't have enough information to make that assessment.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:09 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
Gatlinburg for Tennessee?

Old 04-06-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
Yet they receive more visitors.
Savannah is more popular within the USA. Read my OP.. Also, I could say Savannah gets more visitors, yet its metro is smaller. I could add Savannah receives more visitors, but its less know worldwide. Foreigners come visit or work in our Medical District routinely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Debatable but even if true, it wouldn't mean they think Augusta is among the two most interesting cities in the state. They simply wouldn't have enough information to make that assessment.
How is it debatable? James Brown is an icon. The Master's is the super bowl of golf. People in China are even very familiar with Augusta.

Nothing in Savannah has reached people in China like the Master's or James Brown.

Last edited by nortonguy; 04-06-2018 at 03:44 PM..

Old 04-06-2018, 06:57 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Quote:
Savannah is more popular within the USA. Read my OP.. Also, I could say Savannah gets more visitors, yet its metro is smaller. I could add Savannah receives more visitors, but its less know worldwide. Foreigners come visit or work in our Medical District routinely.

How is it debatable? James Brown is an icon. The Master's is the super bowl of golf. People in China are even very familiar with Augusta.

Nothing in Savannah has reached people in China like the Master's or James Brown.
Nortie, Savannah is more popular outside the U.S., too. I read visitors' blogs in French and German and Spanish, and Charleston and Savannah are well represented. They're also covered in the media regularly. Augusta isn't.

Augusta is known for the Master's, PERIOD: that's two weeks a year. It gets no real visitors otherwise. As for James Brown, his Augusta roots are not well known. Neither are Jessye Norman's, and she's an Augustan. And who cares if Ray Charles is from Albany? Look at all the artists from Macon (Little Richard, Otis R., the Allman Bros., etc.) -- no other GA 2nd-tier city can equal them. Few U.S. singers or actors are linked to their place of origin. Elvis is, and a few of the biggest Motown stars. James Brown? Nah.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
not if you ask people from overseas about georgia. Impossible to be curious about savannah when you didn't know it existed.

The masters, mcg, james brown, etc has created a larger international recognition for augusta.
lol lol lol

Quote:
People in China are even very familiar with Augusta. Nothing in Savannah has reached people in China like the Master's or James Brown.

People in China may know about the Masters and Augusta National Golf Club, but they know nothing about (and care nothing about) the city of Augusta.

Savannah, on the other hand, is firmly established as one of the top 10 most popular cities in North America, and according to some surveys among the 10 greatest cities in the world.

Charleston, Savannah named in top 10 cities around the world
Charleston, Savannah named in top 10 cities around the world

World's top 10 cities, according to Travel + Leisure
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn...ies/index.html

Last edited by Newsboy; 04-06-2018 at 10:08 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 07:26 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
To me & from my days livin there in mid 80s it IS & WAS the sleeper city down south.

This comes from the gut & is my feelings. I realy miss those days, even if my now ex wife & I (she was Army supply @ Ft Gordon) didn't get along then.

The other ladies I met in GA were oh so hospitable. Man, o man were they (even the married ones I met, ahem...)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area