Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:50 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
LOL! So if Augusta is a huge city what does that make Atlanta.
I suppose Atlanta would be a Universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:07 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingintheson View Post
Disgusta always weigh in on any Augusta forum. What about Downtown Atlanta? That is not exactly the place to be after dark unless if you are going to the Philips Arena, Georgia Dome, or Turner Field. Even then not very many people hang around there before and after. You love to jump on Augustas failed downtown businesses but there are allot of new things there now. What about Underground Atlanta? What about Macys? What about Planet Hollywood? Where did they go Disgusta??? You talk about downtown being desolated at night. Maybe you were drunk walking around Underground and thought you were in Augusta because the first half of Broad has far more action at night than the heart of downtown Atlanta. In 5 more years the whole Broad st. area will be booming.
I can only meet you half way on some of your statements.I take offense tha people always just mention underground as being downtown.1)while i admit it is kinda ghetto feeling,its still people and business moving all the time is not dead.2)downtown includes areas from the South near the Greyhound/Jail area ,to east near Auburn Ave /MLK jr site to west by Castleberry Hill and North past The Hard Rock,Centennial Olympic Park/Aquarium and just a little pass the Suntrust building.3)also don't forget the the new Allen Plaza.There has been momentum Downtown in the last 3-4years.I have not been in downtown Augusta in 2years but i have been to the see family in Evans and other suburbs.I hear Augusta has the "canal thing" going and a new city park but other than that its better, but still slow in comparison in which there is none here versus Atlanta's downtown.

I also agree with you about Disgusta(sorry Disgusta,but you are really negative to the extreme!)

Last edited by afonega1; 04-21-2008 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: post script

Old 04-22-2008, 04:18 AM

511 posts, read 2,476,936 times
I was thinking much larger but a universe will do. Well I planned to go to that other major universe next week its called New York, I heard one city block has more people occupying it than the entire huge city of Augusta. What a big world we live in.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:06 PM

Augusta feels like nothing more than a pit stop on the interstate.. not a real destination city like Savannah.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I can only meet you half way on some of your statements.I take offense tha people always just mention underground as being downtown.1)while i admit it is kinda ghetto feeling,its still people and business moving all the time is not dead.2)downtown includes areas from the South near the Greyhound/Jail area ,to east near Auburn Ave /MLK jr site to west by Castleberry Hill and North past The Hard Rock,Centennial Olympic Park/Aquarium and just a little pass the Suntrust building.3)also don't forget the the new Allen Plaza.There has been momentum Downtown in the last 3-4years.

I also agree with you about Disgusta(sorry Disgusta,but you are really negative to the extreme!)
I have lived in Atlanta all of my life...I know that there is a lot of wishful thinking about downtown, but it is a pit and worse today than I've ever seen it.
As far as Disgusta goes, well, the truth often hurts.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:28 AM

Having lived in Augusta for over 20 years.. I do believe the downtown is better than it was in 20 years ago.. but only slightly better. I really would have thought a lot more would have been accomplished in the last 20 years. Consolidation of the city and county was supposed to be a boon to Augusta.. but so far it has not turned out that way. Actually, since consolidation, the police presence has been diminished in downtown and maintainence of the Riverwalk and the park median in Broad Street is at an all time low. In fact, the park median in Broad Street was in such bad shape that soldiers from Fort Gordon took it upon themselves to go down there one Saturday and clean it up.. but don't the taxpayers pay the city to do this sort of thing?? When a new idea is floated about.. too many people in power in Augusta are figuring out ways to shoot it down rather than figuring out how to make it work... in my opinion, this is the biggest problem with Augusta.. the attitude of many of its citizens and leaders.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 PM

913 posts, read 2,985,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
Having lived in Augusta for over 20 years.. I do believe the downtown is better than it was in 20 years ago.. but only slightly better. I really would have thought a lot more would have been accomplished in the last 20 years. Consolidation of the city and county was supposed to be a boon to Augusta.. but so far it has not turned out that way. Actually, since consolidation, the police presence has been diminished in downtown and maintainence of the Riverwalk and the park median in Broad Street is at an all time low. In fact, the park median in Broad Street was in such bad shape that soldiers from Fort Gordon took it upon themselves to go down there one Saturday and clean it up.. but don't the taxpayers pay the city to do this sort of thing?? When a new idea is floated about.. too many people in power in Augusta are figuring out ways to shoot it down rather than figuring out how to make it work... in my opinion, this is the biggest problem with Augusta.. the attitude of many of its citizens and leaders.
Augusta needs a lesson from Columbus in my opinion. If it had the leadership that Columbus has, I imagine it would be a lot better off right now.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:27 PM

I agree... while Columbus has a state of the arts performing arts center downtown..Augusta leaders have only "talked" about one for the last 20 years. Everytime I visit Columbus, I am amazed at the progress I see in the downtown from my previous visit. Even though Augusta built a Riverwalk first.. Columbus has done theirs better..it keeps expanding and is well maintained and used by the citizens. Riverwalk Augusta has unfortunately not been well cared for in the last 5 years.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:44 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Projects in Downtown Augusta

BID (Business Improvement District) - Downtown Business owners approved a Business Improvement District in June with a self imposed tax, and launched their first project (CADI) Clean Augusta Downtown Initiative complete with ambassadors on segways and bicycles and patrols.

Cleaning, safety crews get welcome downtown 032108 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/032108/bus_191711.shtml - broken link)
Economic Development 020408 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/020408/yrb_186061.shtml - broken link)
Deal to clean up, patrol downtown 020108 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/020108/bus_185682.shtml - broken link)
Augusta CADI Kickoff Held Wednesday - News - Augusta, GA (http://www.wjbf.com/midatlantic/jbf/news_index.apx.-content-articles-JBF-2008-03-26-0041.html - broken link)
Cadi group to clean up downtown Augusta

TEE Center - Commissioners approved a proposed multimillion-dollar trade, exhibit and event center
The TEE center will go on a site adjacent to the city-owned convention center and the Augusta Marriott Hotel & Suites on Reynolds Street. The vote also approved a 50-year operating agreement with Augusta Riverfront LLC to cover $350,000 in annual capital and operational costs.
City Administrator Fred Russell said the next step is hammering out a formal contract between the city and Augusta Riverfront, though he said he's not sure how long that will take.
It likely will be 2010 before the city sees a building, said Barry White, the president of the Augusta Convention and Visitors Bureau. It will take about a year to design the center and two to build it.

The Watermark- This condo development will include 182 condos, one or two hotels, a renovation of the old train depot into retail and some office use.

Condo backers have no worries 062506 - The Augusta Chronicle
http://www.myaugustadowntown.com/ima...do_project.pdf
Watermark might include Hilton 110307 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/110307/bus_150354.shtml - broken link)

Construction on the New Augusta Heaquarters Library to begin soon (demolition of old buildings has already started.)

http://www.ecgrl.org/hq_building.htm

The Old JB Whites Building is being renovated into condos and first floor retail. In early April, a restaurant, coffee shop and professional offices will throw open their doors on the ground floor. Residents will begin moving nto the 17 condominium units on the third floor. The commercial floor will include the Downtown Development Authority, a sheriff's substation, a Meybohm Realtors sales office and a tax-preparation office. Developers are also negotiating with a tenant who would open a European-style market with fresh produce and some groceries in the adjacent Doris Building. All condominium units on the second and third floors should be completed by August. The building will have 51 condominiums. A connected building on Ellis Street also will be redeveloped. When finished, it will hold another 30 condos.

Metro Spirit, Augusta, Georgia (http://metrospirit.com/index.php?cat=1993101074454885&ShowArticle_ID=1102 0502082846542 - broken link)
The White's Building
White's Building confirms tenants 021208 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/021208/bus_186977.shtml - broken link)

Ground has broken on The Enclave, a new townhome development located on James Brown Boulevard.

Growth in Downtown Augusta

Cafe 209 recently opened a second business called the 209 Music Lounge opened recently; features include live music great cocktails and food.

The new Judicial Center has a location picked now, the corner of James Brown Boulevard and Walton Way, set to be completed by 2010.

The 10th Street project from Broad to Ellis Street is now under construction

The project will completely revamp one half of 10th Street, making it more inviting for visitors. It will feature new antique-style street lamps, newly poured sidewalks and five new trees. The intersection will also feature a kiosk with a map of downtown and an explanation of the streetscape concept. Construction should be done in 1 to 3 months.

Kroc Center under construction: Joan Kroc ,Ray Kroc's late vision will be carried on. Augusta was picked as one of the locations of several Kroc Centers being developed accross the country in conjuction with the Salvation Army. The facility will include a 600-seat theater and fine arts classrooms; a 350-seat chapel; adult education and computer lab space; indoor and outdoor recreational space to be joined in by the Boys and Girls Club; and an "enterprise park" for skills training that will include teen and adult learning opportunities and even retail and banquet space.
A center of activity 050207 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/050207/edi_126874.shtml - broken link)
USA Southern Territory : Ministries: Kroc Center

R.W. Allen and Assocaites moves it's headquarters to an upscale downtown location.

Downtown goes upscale 010608 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/010608/bus_179256.shtml - broken link)

Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History begins expansion.

Museum plans for expansion 020308 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/020308/met_185987.shtml - broken link)

New Hotel - Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed ] new hotel, condo and retail development could come downtown. A national developer wants to build a hotel at the intersection of Ninth and Reynolds street that would extend the the corner of Broad Street. It would include condos and street level retail as well as a parking garage. It would be aproximately 6 to 7 stories high. Currently and old police station and some warehouses are sitting there. A public hearing will be held next week to discuss demolishing the old buildings. (was recently approved by commission)

Hotel developer eyes old spaces 032208 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/032208/met_191867.shtml - broken link)
Details emerge on hotel rooms 032708 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/032708/bus_192420.shtml - broken link)

A new tour boat is has come downtown called The Patriot. It recently started running and goes from downtown to Lock and Dam. We haven't had a tour boat on the river since the Princess Augusta stopped running. This is in addition to the Augusta Canal Boat Tours that have been up and running for some time.

The owners of The Soul Bar open up a second establishment called Sky City. This establishment is bigger than their first one and can accomodate bigger bands.

The old Sibley Mill will be converted into a mixed use development of office space and housing.

Sibley Mill's history was lure for redeveloper to make a new future 041208 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/041208/met_194706.shtml - broken link)

There are talks to move the Greenjackets Stadium downtown on the river.

Bring Baseball Downtown - Augusta, GA
Mayor says downtown ballpark would benefit city 3/13/2008 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/latest/lat_031308_newballpark.shtml - broken link)
Copenhaver to reveal stadium project study 031308 - The Augusta Chronicle (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/031308/met_190783.shtml - broken link)

The Downtown Development Authority Website

Downtown Development Authority of Augusta, Georgia

There are several other projects that are going on or have gone on recently.

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2008 at 07:25 AM..

Old 05-19-2008, 03:00 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,769 times
Hey, Aususta may not be perfect, but most places aren't. Hey Athens may have a nice downtown, but UGA is packed full of rich snobby metro Atlantan's (Fayette County) who like nothing better than to go out and get drunk. Give Augusta some time, it may suprise you in a couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area