Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2020, 05:33 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,788 times

Advertisements

This would be so cool for the Augusta area...

With Georgia R&B legends including Otis Redding, Gladys Knight and more calling the state home, it’s no surprise that a Georgia city is on the short list of places considered for the new National Rhythm and Blues Hall of Fame.

LaMont Robinson, CEO of the Hall of Fame, said he would like to bring the hall and museum to Augusta, according to Augusta news station WRDW..."

https://www.ajc.com/news/hall-fame-c...WMLL2uVzyCzeP/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 04:57 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,960 times
"The project still requires private and public funding ..."

Watch out for that line right there. It has been the downfall for many a project in Augusta.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:35 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,413 times
According to this article they are not seeking public funds. AJC sited WRDW but apparently misread the article.

https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Na...571160671.html

Old 06-16-2020, 05:37 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,411,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
According to this article they are not seeking public funds. AJC sited WRDW but apparently misread the article.

https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/Na...571160671.html
I have a feeling the WRDW story said exactly what the AJC cited when they did so. WRDW updated the story a couple hours later. I don't think the AJC would make up the line and include the comment about the mayor in it if it wasn't in the original article. Besides that, WRDW isn't exactly the bastion of accurate reporting. I don't see this venue ever happening *without* some sort of public funding.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:34 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,096 times
This sounds great, but I need to see it actually get off the ground as something other than just a vision or idea. When you invest upwards of $50 million into a project like this, you are also assuming other things will follow, i.e. more hotels, restaurants, etc that will help support it. I am also wondering if other cities to include Atlanta maybe in play for this thing behind closed doors. Overall it would be a massive boost for the entire area, but I need to see it at least take some type of form before getting too excited.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:47 AM

614 posts, read 1,101,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
This sounds great, but I need to see it actually get off the ground as something other than just a vision or idea. When you invest upwards of $50 million into a project like this, you are also assuming other things will follow, i.e. more hotels, restaurants, etc that will help support it. I am also wondering if other cities to include Atlanta maybe in play for this thing behind closed doors. Overall it would be a massive boost for the entire area, but I need to see it at least take some type of form before getting too excited.

All valid points. We know that Augusta isn't a touristy city so this museum makes no sense. Nor do I think it would increase tourism. Someone is trying to scam the city out of money again.

Old 06-19-2020, 01:43 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
All valid points. We know that Augusta isn't a touristy city so this museum makes no sense. Nor do I think it would increase tourism. Someone is trying to scam the city out of money again.
I'd have to agree. I know Atlanta already has so much but the museum would make a lot more sense if it were located there for reasons both historical and presently and it would get much more exposure and patronage. I'd hope the ultimate goal would be for the HOF to be successful and I don't see that happening in Augusta.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:31 PM

180 posts, read 158,885 times
It’s happening! Now the question is, what location? I say downtown at the Golf and Gardens property. Or on Reynolds street next to the convention center.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:14 AM

38 posts, read 71,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_4_augusta View Post
It’s happening! Now the question is, what location? I say downtown at the Golf and Gardens property. Or on Reynolds street next to the convention center.
Its not happening

Old 07-01-2020, 06:50 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshamby View Post
Its not happening
Lol, I was going to say that but held off. While doing a bit of research while posting this, you can find articles of Robinson saying he wanted it built in Detroit and planned to do so in 12-24 months back in 2019. Once again, someone is trying to scam the city. No one is going to build this for him. Since the Rock and Roll hall of fame inducts RnB, Blues, Jazz, Hip-Hop, etc.... is it necessary to build this museum? Once again, It's not happening. I mean, he couldn't get Detroit to go for this and he held it there the past 5 years. Not to mention, Detroit has a multi-billion dollar budget whereas Augusta's is less than 200 million. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: