Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 06:44 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times

Advertisements

https://ceoworld.biz/2021/01/12/best...dw8hLwEqttWOuM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 07:39 PM

199 posts, read 365,585 times
That depends on what you call retirement. If your idea of it is playing golf, going to Baptist church on Sunday and calling eating greasy fare at bar/grilles downtown or endless chain restaurants on Washington Road "dining," then Augusta's the place for you. Otherwise it's slim pickin's out of a boardwalk where you shouldn't be at night, a handful of "museums" you can all tour together in a single day, a single theater that gets booked by the same players over and over and rinse-repeat events that make you feel like you're an extra in "Groundhog Day..."

Old 06-16-2021, 08:38 PM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
That depends on what you call retirement. If your idea of it is playing golf, going to Baptist church on Sunday and calling eating greasy fare at bar/grilles downtown or endless chain restaurants on Washington Road "dining," then Augusta's the place for you. Otherwise it's slim pickin's out of a boardwalk where you shouldn't be at night, a handful of "museums" you can all tour together in a single day, a single theater that gets booked by the same players over and over and rinse-repeat events that make you feel like you're an extra in "Groundhog Day..."
Much of the Southeast especially away from the the biggest cities, is going to be like that.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:05 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
It appears this list mostly follows along the cost of living and affordability. Notice how the most expensive places to live aren’t on the list. Depending on your retirement funds, Hawaii could be the number one place to retire except for the fact they have a horrible health care and you will be as far as 5,000 miles away from your grandchildren. But, the happiest people are in Hawaii. If you want a variety in food choices that aren’t all chain restaurants, you’re pretty much out of luck pretty much throughout the United States unless you retire to a major city. We moved to Augusta from the BI and I have been getting the question from people I work with “why would you move here from Hawaii?” So far from what I have seen, Augusta is a beautiful area and it is close to the many things we enjoy. To us, Augusta seems it will be a great fit. It is a very centralized location and is only a drive away from our family and friends in the north east. It’s very affordable for us, plenty of job opportunities for retirees to pad the retirement, and the weather is amazing. People think living in Hawaii is all white sand beaches. It is not. Living in a place and vacationing in a place are two completely different things. Many people in Hawaii are forced to work three jobs to survive. When you’re working three jobs, that usually equates to 7 days a week. It is not a surprise why Augusta made it number 2 on the list of best places to retire. The weather is great, it’s very affordable, there are plenty of amenities, it’s quite centralized, and there is a massive medical district. Augusta might be the best kept secret. The grass isn’t greener on the other side.

Old 06-20-2021, 07:17 AM

89 posts, read 126,131 times
Quote:

someone sounds salty.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:45 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
What do you call retirement? I have lived in Florida, California, Washington, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois but got married in Savannah, and I am looking for a good home base with a low cost of living that is relatively safe but also geographically in an area that is far enough away to avoid the major issues of hurricanes, but still close enough to drive to the coast with a major airport nearby.

Augusta checks a lot of boxes for us. We'll be coming to visit next April to check it out.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:47 PM

202 posts, read 226,594 times
If "cheap" is your primary criterion for retirement then yes, Augusta would be high on the list. If u u value literally anything else then it drops way down.

Old 06-20-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
What do you call retirement? I have lived in Florida, California, Washington, Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois but got married in Savannah, and I am looking for a good home base with a low cost of living that is relatively safe but also geographically in an area that is far enough away to avoid the major issues of hurricanes, but still close enough to drive to the coast with a major airport nearby.

Augusta checks a lot of boxes for us. We'll be coming to visit next April to check it out.
The Augusta area is perfectly fine. Apparently some people have an ax to grind here. Now, I will say "Augusta" itself is not my cup of tea but the surrounding areas (Evans, Martinez, Appling) are all great areas to live in. I think you'll like it.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:43 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
The Augusta area is perfectly fine. Apparently some people have an ax to grind here. Now, I will say "Augusta" itself is not my cup of tea but the surrounding areas (Evans, Martinez, Appling) are all great areas to live in. I think you'll like it.
Thanks. For those who are against the Augusta areas, what spots are on your short lists and why?

Old 06-20-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Thanks. For those who are against the Augusta areas, what spots are on your short lists and why?

Really the three that I named but it depends on if you have school age kids, do you mind a drive? No kids and don't mind a drive to get to restaurants? I'd head towards Appling or maybe even Lincoln county (closer to the lake if that's your thing). If you prefer more of a suburb living then Evans, Martinez and or potentially Grovetown. I know a lot of people that are moving out to Harlem (housing boom out there) but you are further out like Appling and Lincoln County. Send me a PM and I can give you more detailed data if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area