Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 02:00 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,951 times

Advertisements

We are looking to purchase a home in the Augusta area and the market is showing to be very competitive. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 04-12-2021 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 06:00 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,698 times
Suzie Beman - Defoor Realty
Andy Lucas - Magnolia Realty
Matt McDowell - SouthernHomesandRentals

Suzie had been an agent for a couple years, hit the ground running and really doing good.

Andy and Matt are Brokers and been in real estate for a while even though relatively young still. Done really well for themselves and their clients.

All personal friends and good, stand-up people I would vouch for and am considering working for as I’m currently getting my license myself as a side job.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Tough market right now.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:42 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
We are looking to purchase a home in the Augusta area and the market is showing to be very competitive. Any suggestions?
Get pre-approved so you are prepared to make an offer as soon as you look at a home. Get a realtor who can stay on top of new listings for you, as most homes that are in desirable neighborhoods have multiple offers quite literally within hours of being listed.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. Found a realtor and they did a great job. We were looking at newer construction homes in Columbia county, but too competitive and honestly not a big fan of the cookie cutter houses in subdivisions with small lots where everyone can see you in your backyard. We rented in a subdivision like that before and I wasn’t a big fan. We put in an offer in West Augusta just north of Westwick on a house with a nice size lot and great amount of privacy; it was accepted. We don’t know much about the neighborhood, but checked the crime stats and it gets a good rating. It is an older neighborhood with mature trees which we like. Though, West side high school doesn’t get a good rating, but our daughter is currently in Christian school and we plan to continue her education in a Christian school setting.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:31 PM

202 posts, read 227,085 times
Even if u don't have kids in school, Columbia County is always better for resell value, because many prospective homebuyers are looking for the best public schools.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBrat619 View Post
Even if u don't have kids in school, Columbia County is always better for resell value, because many prospective homebuyers are looking for the best public schools.
That would be nice. We just can’t compete with the other offers. People are willing to pay the difference if the house doesn’t appraise and some of these offers are going $50,000 over asking and market value. This home is long term for us. Lot can change in 20 years. It’s not so much that the schools teachers are better in Columbia county, but rather are the students more or less affluent. In affluent homes, there generally is a higher expectation from the parents. Parents are more involved.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:22 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
That would be nice. We just can’t compete with the other offers. People are willing to pay the difference if the house doesn’t appraise and some of these offers are going $50,000 over asking and market value. This home is long term for us. Lot can change in 20 years. It’s not so much that the schools teachers are better in Columbia county, but rather are the students more or less affluent. In affluent homes, there generally is a higher expectation from the parents. Parents are more involved.
You hit the nail on the head regarding schools. And that's everywhere, not just in this area. You picked a good area to live. Well established part of town that is kept up well and generally well-regarded. Pretty easy to get to most anywhere from there as well. Not sure how many kids live in that area as it seems to be an older population in that area from what I've observed, but if you are sending your daughter to a private school then it's likely her friends will end up being from all over the area anyway. You're really close to Westminster, and Episcopal Day School and St. Mary On the Hill Catholic School are not far up the road as well. Augusta Prep is on the other side of I-20 and 520 from you, but is a good school as well.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:03 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,567 times
Welcome! And what a beautiful area you picked. My daughter and her family live in Brynwood. It's a great alternative to same-same subdivisions in Columbia County. A lot of those homes out that way have been redone and they're beautiful and so unique. Nice mature yards, too. And the resale is market is hot. My husband and I always lived in Columbia County and we still do, but both of our grown children are in lovely old neighborhoods in Richmond County.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:42 PM

92 posts, read 162,184 times
I agree you picked a great area. The west Augusta neighborhoods along Walton Way plus the Brynwood and Waverly areas offer mature trees and much large lots than what you would find in the cookie cutter Columbia County subdivisions. You will be close to everything in Westwick!

Old 05-03-2021, 09:15 PM

That’s awesome. This puts our minds at ease. We are going there not knowing much about the area. Are there good bicycle trails in the area? Is the area bike friendly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area